Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game art styles or level design you enjoy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sockesocke View Post
    to retrofiber: you never heard of metal slug before?
    its one of the most popular arcade game ever, but if you were talking about the first line from my quote then im not surprised, those are relatively unknown games.
    since you asked for level design as well i will mention mirrors edge and the castlevania games, those games have some of the best level desing ive ever seen.
    what i liked most about mushihime sama were the enemies, most shmups feature mechanic looking enemies, thats why all the insects in mushihime made a lasting impression on me, especially the boss from the 4th level is one of the best bosses ive ever seen in a video game.
    Yes...Yes I have. I meant to exclude that from the quote. Oh well.

Yes , most NEO GEO games had a great style. Magician Lord, NAM1975, View Point (still one of the hardest games I've played even with save states), etc.
    I dont think I was more excited than when I got the NEO GEO games working on the MAME as these games went for big bucks back in the day. I think the cheapest one I owned ran me $185

Thanks

Take a look at madworld. Amazing art style, just too bad it wasn`t commercially succsesful.
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks
    EP Points

shadow of the colossus had some really cool style to it. Gameplay was fun excellent as well I need more of that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mega-death1 View Post
    Take a look at madworld. Amazing art style, just too bad it wasn`t commercially succsesful.
    Just checked out a video. Like the use of so many background elements to assist the kills.

MondayHopscotch
    shadow of the colossus had some really cool style to it. Gameplay was fun excellent as well I need more of that.
    Agreed. I think I made it about halfway through and had to stop due to time constraints.

Thanks

Madworld's art style looks amazing, but the gameplay kind of looks clunky.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shareware View Post
    Madworld's art style looks amazing, but the gameplay kind of looks clunky.
    Not really. I did sell it though because I suck at arcade style games, but I`m probably gonna repurchase it.

Thanks
    EP Points

A bit late to the party, but I was recently reminded of this thread. It comes as no surprise that I greatly enjoyed the art direction of Xenoblade. The fact that the land of humans is on the surface of a dead god is pretty amazing in itself, and the game really shows what the Wii's hardware is capable of.

Pics:

Another game that I want to mention is The Last Story. It gets enough flak from people who don't like its grey/brown visuals, but I'm a sucker for medieval settings, and it reminded me of Vagrant Story and FFXII to a certain extent.

Pics:

There's also Thief: Deadly Shadows, with its excellent mixture of dark fantasy/magic/steampunk. I've already did a rather lengthy playthrough demonstrating how awesome it is, so I won't bother to post pictures. Just go to the EP LP section, randomly select one of my Thief videos, and enjoy the atmosphere.

I'll second Odin Sphere and Muramasa, even if the games themselves are pretty shallow, with the visuals being the best part.

As far as creative level design goes, I think Psychonauts is amazing. There's no single level in that game that's not unique/memorable in some way.

And I've already mentioned Vagrant Story - I love its visuals, pretty much for the same reasons as The Last Story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ... Xenoblade. The fact that the land of humans is on the surface of a dead god is pretty amazing in itself, and the game really shows what the Wii's hardware is capable of.
    Another game that I want to mention is The Last Story. It gets enough flak from people who don't like its grey/brown visuals, but I'm a sucker for medieval settings, and it reminded me of Vagrant Story and FFXII to a certain extent.

There's also Thief: Deadly Shadows, with its excellent mixture of dark fantasy/magic/steampunk. I've already did a rather lengthy playthrough demonstrating how awesome it is, so I won't bother to post pictures. Just go to the EP LP section, randomly select one of my Thief videos, and enjoy the atmosphere.

As far as creative level design goes, I think Psychonauts is amazing. There's no single level in that game that's not unique/memorable in some way.

And I've already mentioned Vagrant Story - I love its visuals, pretty much for the same reasons as The Last Story.
    Thanks I'll be checking these out. I'm sort of familiar w/ Vagrant Story but not the others.

Edit: Yes...Psychonauts. I just scoped a vid of the milkman conspiracy level. This game drips personality. I had my eye on this game but never got to experience it and thus forgot all about it. I'm so out of touch which is rather pathetic for someone trying to get into the game dev business.

The characters sort of reminded me of those from Death Jr. (PSP) although I'll not attest for that games quality, the characters were great.
    Last edited by retrofiber; 27th-March-2011 at 01:36.
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    A bit late to the party, but I was recently reminded of this thread. It comes as no surprise that I greatly enjoyed the art direction of Xenoblade. The fact that the land of humans is on the surface of a dead god is pretty amazing in itself, and the game really shows what the Wii's hardware is capable of.

Pics:

Pics:

I'll second Odin Sphere and Muramasa, even if the games themselves are pretty shallow, with the visuals being the best part.

Why is Xenoblade not out for the Wii in NA yet
    They better be doing something fucking fabulous if I have to wait for a year!

Thanks

I can't see why nobody mentioned Disgaea or any of nippon ichi's other games. the art is in everything.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Piggy View Post
    Why is Xenoblade not out for the Wii in NA yet
    A valid question. They might be holding off with it until the 3DS craze dies down, who knows. I personally expect it to be offiicially announced during E3. If that doesn't happen, then you can start worrying.

Thanks

Okami - I love that Sumi-e style
    Street Fighter IV - Only in certain parts where the classic painting style occurs(intro, focus attacks)
    Rub Rabbits/Feel the Magic xx.xy - The art is just unique, nice one sega