Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help me decide which old school RPG to play

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BongFart View Post
    think you couldve read the post above you before you posted this?
    i swear i didnt see that

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Protip: read all posts before responding

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You said you owned.
    Chrono Trigger
    Earthbound

Other
    FF I-VI (which are considered old school)
    Mother series (Earthbound)
    Tales of Symphonia
    Breath of Fire I-II
    Grandia I-II

Those are just a few of my recommendations since you said you wanted
    something new yet old or something? I can't really remember now!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordrand11 View Post
    Play Crystalis
    I have to agree with that, amazing game. (just haven't finished it myself)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shadowrun for Genesis. All else is shadows and dust.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lordrand11 View Post
    Play Crystalis or Faxanadu both games were marvelous in their own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf the Knight View Post
    I have to agree with that, amazing game. (just haven't finished it myself)
    Seconded, here. I'm not a huge RPG fan, but I had a blast with Crystalis.

Thanks

if your looking for a challenge then you have to play Alundra

Thanks

Bwahahah thats a good question too bad theres too many to list....start out with phantasy star 4 and shining force 2...then move on to breath of fire serires, secret of mana, chrono trigger,try some lunars and lufias and final fantasys, zeldas, and blah blah blah the list goes on! P.S. deathblade,alundra was easy....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by slimebucket View Post
    Or I could go with the good old classic Zelda series. Zelda 64 was the only reason I got a N64. I was the first kid in my town to own a N64, and it was a loonnggggg wait for Zelda (thought it was going to come out right after N64 release lol) The game I got was totally different than everything I had been reading up on in magazines and what not (lots was promised, but then the game was scaled down) but that did not matter to me at all. The game was the most memorable video game I had ever played. nintendo couldn't have more properly captured the essence of Zelda a Link to the Past any better than they did. It was almost identical, just in beautiful 3D.
    I just noticed this part of the post. I felt the need to reply, because... well, it's 1:30 in the morning and I just made the shittiest cup of coffee if I've had in my life (seriously, this thing is so gross, why am I still drinking it...?).

I remember back when I got my Nintendo 64 (I wasn't the first in my town, but we picked ours up just after Christmas of 1996, so a few months after it was released), there was already buzz about Ocarina of Time (I think at that point it was still being referred to simply as "Zelda 64"). Nintendo Power and every gaming website on the 'net at the time was running with whatever press they could get hold of, and I gobbled up everything. There were images of shiny Iron Knuckles with the same general "design" as Zelda II, but 3D (seriously, SO SHINY). There were images of Link performing the Sword Beam (or whatever you want to call it when he "shoots" his sword in the original Zelda) attack, and lots of areas that never ended up making it into the game. Link looked completely different back then, too...

Then, finally, November 1998 hit. And with it came the final screen shots of Zelda 64, by this time officially named Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And more screens were released. And the game looked... different. Still looked like a lot of fun, but it was like everything they had done up until that point, dragging on the development of the game on for years (at this point there had been a six year gap between Zelda games for home consoles. Five years if you include handhelds, with Link's Awakening being released in 1993). It felt like they had started to make an interesting, somewhat realistic game that was very true to the originals, then decided halfway through development that "hey, you know what... we need to start over."

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that they did. Ocarina of Time remains one of my favorite games of all time. They nailed it perfectly. But what ended up happening was the majority of the screens that they released were, essentially, useless hype. There must have been a few more last minute changes as well, because even information in Nintendo Power -- you know, the official Nintendo magazine -- for the November/December issue (issue 114, which I still have somewhere around here) was inaccurate. There is an infamous screen shot/walkthrough in the Ocarina of Time section of that issue, where Nintendo Power tells you that to get the first Heart Piece in the game, you have to jump off a ledge and land on top of a building in Kokiri Forest. I can't specifically remember which building it is, but it is the one next to the Magic Bean Patch. I honestly thought I had a defective game for a little bit, because I could not figure out why I couldn't find that Heart Piece.

It's the classic example of overloading information about a game. As much as I loved knowing all of the development details years in advance, it took away a lot of the allure of popping the game in the first time, and there are still things that I wish they had been able to keep in the game. Namely, the Sword Beam attack. After seeing the wicked design that they had for it during development, I was very excited to be able to use it, and it remains the only disappointment of the game for me. And the only reason it is a disappointment is because I knew that it was in there, and they removed it.

Thanks

The sword beam was one of my favorite attacks in Zelda, I really wish they would have brought it back, it would've been sweet.

Thanks

Alundra was easy? what are you smoking? can I have some? lol Alundra is one of the hardest games I have ever played

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deathblade200 View Post
    Alundra was easy? what are you smoking? can I have some? lol Alundra is one of the hardest games I have ever played
    that good stuff some people find certain things easier.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    The sword beam was one of my favorite attacks in Zelda, I really wish they would have brought it back, it would've been sweet.
    It even looked really sweet!!

Spoiler warning:

http://www.platypuscomix.net/interac...beamattack.JPG

You can see it just off to the right hand side of the image.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Honestly, i didnt like OOT. I dont like any LoZ for that matter. Just not my cup o' tea i suppose.

Thanks

well, KoToR isn't too old , but sexy as hell , knights of the old republic (incase you didn't know :L)