Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help me decide which old school RPG to play

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Since when was River City Ransom a RPG? I thought it was a beat em up.

Also when are the Zelda games a RPG? I thought those were Adventure games....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARProductions View Post
    Since when was River City Ransom a RPG? I thought it was a beat em up.

You beat me to it. River City Ransom looks nothing similar to a RPG.

Click to hear the objection!

Thanks

I think Zelda is classified as an adventure/action rpg, there's just no level system besides getting better items. The Chrono Resurrection thing was awesome, and if you want more story, play the Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes fan game recently put on EP, it may not be made by Square, but they answer questions that CT didn't. I have no idea if there will be another Chrono game, but with the release of Chrono Trigger DS, even though it may just be another remake put out to make Square money, I hope its a sign that the fans are still influencing the company and that may cause them to make a new game (unless they think if it can't beat Chrono Trigger, then they won't make it). Like some people have said on various sites, Square shouldn't have shut down the Resurrection project, they should have just hired those guys and put them on a team of developers to make a 3d game. I have hope for all game series and franchises to be successful, especially another Chrono game and a U.S. release of Xenoblade.

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks

have to say i agree with your post 100 %
    Humankind cannot gain anything
    without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must
    be lost.

Thanks
    EP Points

Play Crystalis or Faxanadu both games were marvelous in their own right.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    EP Points

you are my HERO!!!! I loved Alundra 2
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They are.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Are you joking me??

River City Ransom Is a Beat em up RPG.

Double Dragon is just a beat em up. There is a difference. River City Ransom you have stats, and you can gradually upgrade these stats, upgrade skills and give special abilities. Yes it is a beat em up, but it has rpg elements in it.

And yeah your right, zelda games are more adventure than RPG, but I would still consider them Adventure RPG. I say this because you generally are in 1 large map area, and can access most of the world very early on in the game and there is lots of running back and forth, questing, and unlocking things. Non RPG adventure games would be like games like Tomb Raider, where its level after level after level.

If you say Zelda is adventure and not RPG then what about Alundra?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slimebucket View Post
    Are you joking me??

River City Ransom Is a Beat em up RPG.

Double Dragon is just a beat em up. There is a difference. River City Ransom you have stats, and you can gradually upgrade these stats, upgrade skills and give special abilities. Yes it is a beat em up, but it has rpg elements in it.
    So by the same logic, God of War is a RPG?

Click to hear the objection!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am very confused now, I was told all my life that River City Ransom was a beat em up, It was one of the first Beat Em Ups, right next to Renegade, which is also a Beat Em Up.

Its been about 2 years since I played RCR, but last time I played it, you beat the shit out of people, get their money, and they go "BARF!" and to heal up you buy food, sounds like a regular Beat Em Up to me. Its not turn based, etc.

Maybe I need to start playing RPGs to understand....or play more RCR and pay attention.

Also just because you can up your stats, does that mean wrestling games are RPGs also?
    Last edited by HeavyMetalGamer; 21st-March-2011 at 20:07.

Thanks

River City Ransom is a beat em up, I never said it wasen't. I said its a BEAT EM UP RPG. Double Dragon, a normal beat em up you do not have stats you increase, items to purchase to increase stats, items equipment, and skill upgrades.

In River City Ransom : You run around beat the shit out of people take there money and move on... then you use that money to buy upgrades, equipment and items. for certain items you even had to run a ways back in the game to get to a secret store in order to buy the best items. - Thats basically what any RPG is isn't it?

You are acting as if a game must be in one genre and CANNOT have elements of another genre in it. I find classifying games into genres is pretty pointless when it comes to RPGs, adventure, action and all that.. now a days every game has elements of all 3 in them, so who gives a flying fu%K

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by slimebucket View Post
    River City Ransom is a beat em up, I never said it wasen't. I said its a BEAT EM UP RPG. Double Dragon, a normal beat em up you do not have stats you increase, items to purchase to increase stats, items equipment, and skill upgrades.

In River City Ransom : You run around beat the shit out of people take there money and move on... then you use that money to buy upgrades, equipment and items. for certain items you even had to run a ways back in the game to get to a secret store in order to buy the best items. - Thats basically what any RPG is isn't it?

You are acting as if a game must be in one genre and CANNOT have elements of another genre in it. I find classifying games into genres is pretty pointless when it comes to RPGs, adventure, action and all that.. now a days every game has elements of all 3 in them, so who gives a flying fu%K
    I am not saying a game can have more then one genre, this is the first time I have heard it called a Beat Em Up RPG. Relax

I was just a little confused thats all.

I do have 1 more question.

So any game where you up your stats, weapons, etc is a RPG?

Personally I am not a fan of the RPG genre, but there are a few I actually somewhat enjoy, so I don't pay much attention to that genre.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalGamer; 21st-March-2011 at 20:23.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I am not saying a game can have more then one genre, this is the first time I have heard it called a Beat Em Up RPG. Relax

I was just a little confused thats all.

I do have 1 more question.

So any game where you up your stats, weapons, etc is a RPG?

Personally I am not a fan of the RPG genre, but there are a few I actually somewhat enjoy, so I don't pay much attention to that genre.
    If you want to get technical about it, almost all games are RPGs because you play as a specific person.

Thanks
    EP Points

if you guys want to be realistic, tecnicly every game is an rpg since your playing as someone else.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    if you guys want to be realistic, tecnicly every game is an rpg since your playing as someone else.
    think you couldve read the post above you before you posted this?