Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: help me decide which old school RPG to play

Thanks

Default help me decide which old school RPG to play

Hey, I am craving to play an old school RPG and get some nostalgia goin on, but cannot decide which game to play!

I just recently got these

NES -
    River City Ransom
    Zelda 1 + 2
    Final Fantasy

SNES -
    Chrono Trigger
    Zelda - A Link to the Past
    Final Fantasy V + VI
    Bahamut Lagoon
    Earthbound

N64 -
    Zelda - Ocarina of Time
    Zelda - Majoras Mask

Psx -
    Xenogears
    Crono Cross

I have no idea what to play!! I really want to get back into xenogears, but it will take a long time, so maybe I should play some games I can beat quicker first... I want to play RPGS from everything from NES days to the SNES days, to the original PSX and n64 days and compare the evolution of certain rpg concepts.

Maybe I should play Chrono Trigger, then play Xenogears and note how the two games are just as connected to each. If you really think of it, Xenogears felt almost like a true sequel to Chrono Trigger, while Crono Cross was something completely different, with 1 character throwin in at the end because they felt attaching the project with something with a high name would make it sell better...

I remember When I first Xenogears... it was right after I beat Chrono Trigger for the 13th time getting all the endings including the one where you beat La Vos the very first encounter with him While that game was fresh in my mind I loaded in Xenogears. I knew right off the bat it was somehow connected with Chrono Trigger because one of main characters of Chrono Trigger was in the starting town of Xenogears (Luccas)

I remember thinking the game was almost a re-make of Chrono Trigger, wit hte whole story of a monster from space that creates life on a planet just so that once the planet is full of life the creature can then wake up and consume everything in order to get back into space, or to send offspring out into space.

Or I could go with the good old classic Zelda series. Zelda 64 was the only reason I got a N64. I was the first kid in my town to own a N64, and it was a loonnggggg wait for Zelda (thought it was going to come out right after N64 release lol) The game I got was totally different than everything I had been reading up on in magazines and what not (lots was promised, but then the game was scaled down) but that did not matter to me at all. The game was the most memorable video game I had ever played. nintendo couldn't have more properly captured the essence of Zelda a Link to the Past any better than they did. It was almost identical, just in beautiful 3D.

which to play?!? hmmmmmmm

Thanks

Please take a look at 7th Saga on Snes. It needs more attention.
    My unbiased opinion would be to play Zelda 1 + 2

Thanks

7th Saga, will do

nice pick on the original zeldas, I havent beat those in such a long time

Thanks

All of those were awesome choices, I can't help out much because I'd just say Final Fantasy VI or Xenogears even though all of those games are awesome. I remember when I first played Xenogears and got to the part with Fei and Citan talking about the music and people listening to it in the past, and I thought it sounded familiar and then had to play through quite a bit of Chrono Trigger to find out that it was indeed a song from CT. That was just so awesome for me. Haven't played Chrono Cross so I don't know if thats good or not. I just realized if Chrono Trigger was never released, noone would ever play Xenogears or Xenosaga and that saddens me. Sorry I typed so much its just these games gave me wonderful memories.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

PSX- Alundra 2

Supreme Warrior Guest

Chrono Trigger or Xenogears.

if you want it short- Chrono Trigger.

you want it Long and Full of deep story - Xenogears
    Last edited by Supreme Warrior; 20th-March-2011 at 23:54.

Thanks
    EP Points

Chrono Trigger.

Thanks

@ unoticedninja - Don't be sorry for typing so much I'm glad they bring back good memories, they do for me as well, thats why I am playing em today

Yah, there is over 6 Chrono Trigger songs in Xenogears, and thats all I could tell, there is probably more.

@ - KermitdaFrog - I used to play that game all the time when it was new, I found it to be psx's version of Zelda a Link to the Past

I really really really want Squaresoft to make a third Chrono game, (Final fantasy style game involving time travel) Crono Cross didn't have any time travel in it, and really felt like it was going away fro the core "Chrono" concept.

Too bad we will never see this happen, as all the people who where involved with Chrono Trigger, Crono Cross no longer are with square.. I really like the rpg element where events that happen in the past ripple through time and change events in the future... I really felt there was un discovered potetional there.... like a game where there is hundreds of options to do in the past, and each one affects the future some how, and every time you play it the future is always different, such as what fraction is in control, what family line is KING, what shops sell, where people are, which cities, forests and land marks are,

like immagine a Dragon Age style game, but with the fact that you can go back in time and totally change things, do quests and what not, then come back to the future and progress further, till a point where you need to go back in time again to change things to allow yourself to get further in the future.

Anyone remember the Chrono Trigger Resurrection Project?? Where they where re-making chrono trigger in 3d on the Unreal 2 (or was int unreal tournemenet 2003?) engine but was forced to stop due to Square having a hissy fit... I really thought they where going to make a 3D re-make of Chrono Trigger for DS or 3DS because of how they did that, but they never did shit

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmoMR8jdSGg - awesome remix of Undersea Palace from Chrono Trigger

I was thinking of what it could be like... If Square made Chrono Break using the Engine they made for FF 13... make an RPG where there is no crash into battles, once to touch an enemy you fight on the spot, had multiple worlds made where you could travel back and forth...

Immagine what the battle with LA VOS would look like on that engine.... even if they didn't add to teh story, making a Chrono game on that engine would be a #1 it seller for sure, and frankly, square is retarded if they don't do it... Hell, I would settle for ANY game that had the character Chrono in it, maybe a action sword fighting game / shooter where you can use the new MOVE ps3 controller, where chrono is discovers exactly why HE is the one that was chosen to be the one who travels time and saves the planet.

I always thought there would be a story, or a game or something that would explain more about Chrono, who is father was, why he was trained so well with swords at a young age, and who his ancestors are... I always felt like there was something important about chrono's character missing.... maybe have a game where the main characters are Chrono's decedents, or maybe even a game that focuses on La Vos, like a space exploration game where you are on a mission to rid the universe of all La Vos, and you must hunt them down, settle on planets, do quests, kill the monster, then head on to the next planet.

There is SOOO many things Square could do with it, but no, all they do is sit on there FINAL FANTASY cash cow... like everyone at sqaure enix now IS NOT the people who started everything. The original people behind all the great classics STARTED everything, then other people came in to use the names and try and ride on the successess of the people before them... everything after Xenogears and Final Fantasy 9 started to go down hill. Final Fantasy 10 wasen't that bad, but final fantasy 12 was such a let down. Same with 13. They both looked awesome, but thats it, the game play was so linear and straight. If square made Final Fantasy 12 and 13 into 3D animation movies where you could just watch the whole thing without playing they would be way better.

If fact, they should do that. Take all the cut scenes, make some more to fill in gaps here and there and make a 2 hour movie out of each game. Like Final Fantasy 13 feels like they where making a 3D animation movie, and then right before they where gunna release it someone was like "OMFG! I got the best idea ever! lets make this into a GAME!! that way we can charge 60 bucks for it instead of just 20! All we gotta do is throw down some hall ways, and just make people walk from 1 cut scene to the next!"
    Last edited by slimebucket; 21st-March-2011 at 02:40.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit Da Frog View Post
    PSX- Alundra
    That's better. Lunar or Lunar 2 for the PSX are both good choices.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    That's better. Lunar or Lunar 2 for the PSX are both good choices.
    Bollocks. Alundra 2 was better.

Thanks
    EP Points

Chrono Cross. you won't regret playing this masterpiece

Thanks
    EP Points

From looking at your list, I must say, go with Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger.

Yes, I realise these are the more popular choices, but there's a REASON they're the popular choices. They're bloody fantastic games. I'll also admit freely I haven't played many others on your list, so I think I'll use this one for personal reference, if you don't mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think you should try playing Super Mario RPG: Legend of the seven stars on the Super Nintendo. One amazing RPG, honestly. Better than Pokemon.
    Xludo73, Probably the UK's best Mario Gamer.

Thanks

Breath of Fire II (SNES)
    That's a legend! (IMHO)

I don't want interesting times anymore