Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake & Tsunami in Japan

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    Didn't know you lived in the Canadian coast, take care in there.
    Yeah, I live on an island on the West Coast. I'm not quite on the West Coast, so I doubt I will actually see any waves if they do come, but places on the opposite side of the island might be affected.

I'm on the opposite side of the island circled in red, right across from Vancouver. Still though, I know people out in Tofino and Ucluelet, which are right on the ocean. Kind of scary.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    I don't really think this thread title is appropriate.
    I thought this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimori View Post
    You see images of disasters like this on the news quite often, but here in Britain we don't really get natural disasters, so it can all feel very detached and otherworldly. This, though, is like...Japan. Japanese is my second language, and most all of my tutors have family there. My brother and a good two dozen of my friends live there. Heck I was actually in Sendai less than a year ago. It's incredibly unsettling to see images of this on the news and know it's hitting somewhere so close to home for me. I'm just grateful than nobody I know was hurt. It's a minor comfort, but in the face of tragedies like this you have to count even the smallest blessings.
    I only know one person in Japan at the moment, but since he's in the military and we've apparently already received word that no one in the US armed forces was injured, I'm confident that he's okay. I was, however, worried for you and your family. I'm glad to hear they're all okay as well.

It's such a strange feeling when something happens to or in a place that you just recently visited. To think if your visit were scheduled for only a slightly different time, how you might have been affected, is an interesting reality check. I really have no personal connections to Japan, but to view it solely as "the land of video games and anime," especially in a thread dedicated to a tragedy such as thus, is quite disrespectful and frankly, sad.

Thanks

It's been all over the news the whole day, there were even some extra news casts about it 'round here. Poor Japanese

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I just saw some of the footage of the waves sweeping over some of the towns (I make it a point not to watch the news) and was shocked by the devastation. It's very troubling, and I hope that they come out of this with minimal deaths.

Also, I edited the thread title. I couldn't think of anything to change it to, so I kept it rather point blank.

Thanks
    EP Points

wasnt there a guy on youtube who predicted an earthquake by looking at what they were doing in the gulf or something?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    wasnt there a guy on youtube who predicted an earthquake by looking at what they were doing in the gulf or something?
    Japan gets hit with tons of earthquakes every year. That's like predicting that there will be snow in the Arctic this year.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Japan gets hit with tons of earthquakes every year. That's like predicting that there will be snow in the Arctic this year.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Drageuth again.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I just saw some of the footage of the waves sweeping over some of the towns (I make it a point not to watch the news) and was shocked by the devastation. It's very troubling, and I hope that they come out of this with minimal deaths.

Also, I edited the thread title. I couldn't think of anything to change it to, so I kept it rather point blank.
    I think one of the saddest things I've read is that there are passenger trains that simply disappeared with the waves, with who knows how many people on them. One of my classmates said, if you've ever been in Japan you know those trains are packed. No one's going to have any official idea who was even on those trains. Obviously, the devastation is much more severe than one or two trains going missing, but for some reason that struck me as rather poignant.

Also, thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I remember a few years ago, I was watching a documentary or something like that on the transit system in Japan, and I saw how loaded those trains are. Even if the only damage down was those two trains missing, I think that's still as many people as were in my high school, all grades combined.

Thanks
    EP Points

To draw a small positive from this horror, Japan is about as well prepared to deal with something like this as any country in the world in the wake of the Hanshin earthquake in the 90s. When you consider that that was only about a 6.5 and killed something in the region of 7000 people, it's a small miracle that you're not already hearing death counts in the region of the tens of thousands with this being the largest earthquake in Japan's recorded history. The damage done to buildings in places like Tokyo is comparatively minimal compared to the state of Kobe in the 90s, and the most severe damage seems to have been caused by the tsunami rather than the quake itself. So bravo to the engineers who stopped this from being an even more shocking tragedy than it already is.

Thanks
    EP Points

i am just glad no one on here that i talk to or argue with was there.

Thanks

Thanks for the title change, I was about to suggest that in the lounge.

I heard that the first amount of deaths is around the 1,000. I'm honestly surprised and glad it's not more people.

Thanks

Huh...Sucks to be Japan.

Thanks

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...quakes_all.php

A listing of all the aftershocks caused by this quake.. This is insanity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...quakes_all.php

A listing of all the aftershocks caused by this quake.. This is insanity.
    That's...A lot...