Thread: How do you remove Google Redirection Virus?

Thanks

Default How do you remove Google Redirection Virus?

I recently got the Google Redirection Virus. It basically keeps redirecting your searches to random websites, some of which are susceptible to even more viruses. I searched around google to help (with luck, I have to click on the link 5 times to actually get to the website to try and find help) but none of it helped. As a last resort, I thought I'd try to find a video to walk me through removing the virus.

This video in particular:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVifFbLIso

I followed every step in this step-by-step video and still somehow the virus isn't gone. Am I doing something wrong if I can't fix the solution when I followed those steps, am I missing something?

Thanks
    EP Points

Last time I checked, it's not actually a virus. It just sets up your connection to go through a proxy.

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab -> Lan Settings -> Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN" etc. etc.

If that's already unchecked, go to your browser's settings and make sure that's not using a proxy either. In FireFox, it's Tools->Options...->Advanced tab->Network tab->Settings->then click the "No proxy" radio button.

Thanks

I went and checked the setting you talked about, but everything was already as you said and I still keep getting redirected.

Thanks

also try runnin autoruns from sysinternals.com shows all processes currently running and starting etc...powerfull tool it is not for noobs unless your computer saavy

Thanks

I helped out a friend with this problem a few months ago and found it to be stubborn as hell. I'm having some trouble remembering exactly what steps I took to deal with it, since it kept coming back until I finally got rid of it somehow. I think I used malwarebytes and windows defender to root out whatever was causing it, but I feel like I'm forgetting something else I might have done. Good luck with getting rid of it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I believe combofix has the ability to target this specific hijack

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Just download and run, it will guide you through the rest of the process.

If Combofix doesn't clear it, then give Smitfraudfix a go.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/smitfraudfix.php

The Smitfraudfix project may be dead though. If a combination of all the tools mentioned in this thread doesn't help, run hijackthis and post the log here. Be VERY careful about running hijackthis, if you randomly select stuff to remove, you can and will screw things up! It's best to just post a log here and let us help you select what needs to be removed.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

(just download and run the executable, no need to install )
    Last edited by Panda Man; 6th-March-2011 at 15:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can try hijackthis (http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/), it scan and log all your windows boot drivers. Then check the log if there some suspicious files and try to delete-remove. Check also if the system restore a virus copy.

Thanks

I found the issue. Through numerous scans, the error still remained undetected. I even factory reset my computer and it didn't work. I tried another internet connection from another source and noticed the the problem went away. Only then did I confirm that the virus wasn't in my computer, it was in the router. All I did was restore my ROUTER to factory settings and the fixed the problem