Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to like Vista over 7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Reasons to like Vista over 7

Now While Vista has been given quite a bad reputation and to be fair it was a POS at the start of its life its in my opinion quite usable since SP2 but ive actually noticed sometimes it is better to me than Windows 7.

Take for instance an older game say like "of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy" or "Fallout" In Windows 7 I get the Rainbow colors and I have to mess with the Game and the compatibility settings, In Vista However its perfect no matter what with those games.

Can Anyone else think of Points in Vista's Favor over 7?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Now While Vista has been given quite a bad reputation and to be fair it was a POS at the start of its life its in my opinion quite usable since SP2 but ive actually noticed sometimes it is better to me than Windows 7.

Take for instance an older game say like "of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy" or "Fallout" In Windows 7 I get the Rainbow colors and I have to mess with the Game and the compatibility settings, In Vista However its perfect no matter what with those games.

Can Anyone else think of Points in Vista's Favor over 7?
    I don't have to deal with as much RAM because Vista takes up a full gig of it for me?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit Da Frog View Post
    I don't have to deal with as much RAM because Vista takes up a full gig of it for me?
    That was a common complaint although it was like a pre cache that was taken up

Thanks
    EP Points

>Reasons to like Vista over 7
    >None

trollface.jpg

Thanks
    EP Points

Vista like Win ME was a transitory OS. They required lot of RAM, HD space: but people want cheap computers with the new OS (Vista) regardless they've get only 1 GB of ram, then pray to find Vista drivers for you dialup modem . Today "default" hardware are 4 GB RAM, 1 TB or more of HD, 2 or more CPU and a DirectX10+ graphic card. So you Vista run great (Win7 too). Anyway updating the .NET libs to 3.0+ increase the vista performance (vista/7 use WPF for graphics, NET 3.0 give a +50% rendering boost).

So thank Win ME for XP and to Vista for Win7!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That was a common complaint although it was like a pre cache that was taken up
    How about this?

I don't like being in control of things, so Vista's great because I'm never the admin of my own computer.

Thanks

This is more-or-less the main reason why Vista could be considered "better," it is probably the most universally-compatible of the 3 Window OS's the majority use (XP, Vista, and 7). Other than that, I really can not think of one.

I don't like being in control of things, so Vista's great because I'm never the admin of my own computer.
    Care to elaborate?
    Just because someone said "Just because someone said it, doesn't mean it's true.", doesn't mean it's true.

Thanks
    EP Points

i just like vista because a friend of mine gave it to me for free and for some reason it runs smother on my old computer (2006) then xp did. that said i am not upgrading lol besides, you know how they say you can have two internet screens at the same time? i can do that with any computer just by bringing up two google chrome pages and watch a video while i do something else though i never do that. btw i only have 70 gigs of actual memery on my computer as i havnt upgraded since and i cant afford to upgrade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VeganZombie View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    UAC.

There isn't anything other than very specific compatibility reasons, to use vista over 7.

But that doesn't make up for the fact that it's slow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    UAC.
    Wait, really? I always thought User Account Control was a fair response to the "Windows is not secure" argument.

I never found it all that annoying... besides, you can turn it off:
    Just because someone said "Just because someone said it, doesn't mean it's true.", doesn't mean it's true.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    i just like vista because a friend of mine gave it to me for free and for some reason it runs smother on my old computer (2006) then xp did. that said i am not upgrading lol besides, you know how they say you can have two internet screens at the same time? i can do that with any computer just by bringing up two google chrome pages and watch a video while i do something else though i never do that. btw i only have 70 gigs of actual memery on my computer as i havnt upgraded since and i cant afford to upgrade.
    Hard drive storage.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Many Vista users are horrified to see that shortly after booting up Vista, no matter how much system RAM they have, Vista seems to gobble up most of it straight away. They instantly assume that Vista's eye candy or some other "bloated" new feature must be very memory-intensive. What's actually happening is that the SuperFetch feature - covered under the 'Constant Hard Drive Activity' annoyance further above - starts filling any free memory with portions of your most commonly used programs right after Vista boots up. By using otherwise idle RAM as a data cache in this way, Vista greatly improves your application startup times and responsiveness. As the saying goes, "Free RAM is wasted RAM". The concern of course is that by taking up all this RAM, Vista will somehow slow down your system or "hog" the RAM should other programs require it. In practice this is a myth - the moment SuperFetch detects that your system requires the RAM for other purposes, it frees it up instantly.

In general Vista manages memory much more efficiently than XP, juggling RAM, Cached and Virtual Memory much more smoothly, with less stuttering or noticeable slowdowns. SuperFetch and Vista's Memory Management are covered in detail in the Memory Optimization chapter of the TGTC.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Many Vista users are horrified to see that shortly after booting up Vista, no matter how much system RAM they have, Vista seems to gobble up most of it straight away. They instantly assume that Vista's eye candy or some other "bloated" new feature must be very memory-intensive. What's actually happening is that the SuperFetch feature - covered under the 'Constant Hard Drive Activity' annoyance further above - starts filling any free memory with portions of your most commonly used programs right after Vista boots up. By using otherwise idle RAM as a data cache in this way, Vista greatly improves your application startup times and responsiveness. As the saying goes, "Free RAM is wasted RAM". The concern of course is that by taking up all this RAM, Vista will somehow slow down your system or "hog" the RAM should other programs require it. In practice this is a myth - the moment SuperFetch detects that your system requires the RAM for other purposes, it frees it up instantly.

In general Vista manages memory much more efficiently than XP, juggling RAM, Cached and Virtual Memory much more smoothly, with less stuttering or noticeable slowdowns. SuperFetch and Vista's Memory Management are covered in detail in the Memory Optimization chapter of the TGTC.

Here's the thing about that. Think about it this way. When you use the internet, it creates a cache as well so you can access pages faster, yet as most will tell you, clearing one's internet cache actually speeds it up. Why? Because then it's not storing data of pages that are no longer used.

So when your operating system precaches programs, you're essentially being told that you have to use the program to see any benefit. However, no one here runs every single program on their computer every time they turn it on. Thus, essential RAM is being used to precache things you probably won't even open or use that day.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

still doesn't take away from the fact if you need that memory the kernal releases it instantly

Thanks
    Blog Entries

still doesn't take away from the fact if you need that memory the kernal releases it instantly
    Just admit that there's no positives to Vista other than compatibility. It has that. That's a damn sight more than ME or 2000 ever had.