Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: psx?

Thanks

Default psx?

why do so many call the ps1 the psx? or refer to the gray ps1 as psx? sony already made a separate system called psx. i mean we don't call it a ps2x & ps2 or do the same with the ps3. so why with the ps1? the psx is a big over bulky machine it runs ps1 ps2 dvd's has several gigs of hard drive space is a dvr. has built in storage for ps1/2 game saves. so why would any one refre to the ps1 as psx?

why not just call them ps1 & ps1 slim? what's wrong with that? the only time i ever use "psx" is when i'm talking a bout the name of the emu. end the end the ps1 & ps1 slim are the same system. just one is gray & the other white & smaller & a little slimer. fuerther more i will never call it a ps one..ever..

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kaytech43 View Post
    why do so many call the ps1 the psx?
    Out of habit.

Thanks

what habit?...who started it i mean it seems like it's become more of a trend than any thing. its just my opinion. some one had to start calling it that & i highly doubt it was sony. & "it's a habit" well i nor my any of my close friends have ever called it that. not to staart a fight here. mainly just wonderig why so many call it by the wrong name

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, okay, you were referring to this PSX. The one I was talking about was the initial codename for the Playstation AFAIK. It caught on, and people still referred to it as PSX out of habit even when it was announced/released as the Playstation. That's the way I see it.

Thanks

well, the thing is the ps1 wasn't really referd as the psx until sony released the white slim ps1 . till then most ppl just called it ps1. & they only or generally call the gray ps1 as psx. tho the only other problem i have is more sonys fault & some thing i don't get calling the slim ps1 ps one why spell it out when the ps2 & 3 have the number there & not spelled out?

& yes i know the one you were talking about i was as well. i was just refering to the actual psx just to make a point. just like i don't know any one that refers to the game cube as the dolphin witch was one of the first names it had.

Thanks
    EP Points

It was called Playstation X, then Sony changed the name to Playstation. So Playstation X = PSX, and it's just stuck, really?

Thanks

well here's the thing the psx pr playstation x was developed & put on the market by sony for japan only latter sony made the ps1. the PS was originally designed as an add on for the super famicom but nintendo turned sony down in the end

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Question RE: psx?

Very good question. It's merely a mystery/conspiracy (WIN!...sorry XP) why most call the PS1 the PSX. When i first tried emulation i found out that the PS1 is also called PSX and never knew why. With what Gare said...
    Out of habit.
    ...she really makes sense =P and that's how i took it when i found out. Humans, if you may already know, have the tendency to make catchy names for loads of electronics. Ex.

Nintendo Systems...
    Nintendo Entertainment System: NES
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System: SNES
    Nintendo 64: N64
    and so on...

Those nicknames/acronyms =P were created because it was catchy and easier to say in a sentence. (Can't imagine saying Super Nintendo Entertainment System 5 times in a sentence o.o)

So I guess the PS1 was called the PSX because the name sounded original, catchy and was easier to say in a sentence.

So.... After all that blabbing... What I'm really trying to say is, try to interpret why the name of the PlayStation One is now well known as the PSX on your own terms, because really anything you come up with could have been the reason why to it was given that name. =P

P.S I hope i made sense "
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigbigbuddy View Post
    Very good question. It's merely a mystery/conspiracy (WIN!...sorry XP) why most call the PS1 the PSX. When i first tried emulation i found out that the PS1 is also called PSX and never knew why. With what Gare said......she really makes sense =P and that's how i took it when i found out. Humans, if you may already know, have the tendency to make catchy names for loads of electronics. Ex.

Nintendo Systems...
    Nintendo Entertainment System: NES
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System: SNES
    Nintendo 64: N64
    and so on...

Those nicknames/acronyms =P were created because it was catchy and easier to say in a sentence. (Can't imagine saying Super Nintendo Entertainment System 5 times in a sentence o.o)

So I guess the PS1 was called the PSX because the name sounded original, catchy and was easier to say in a sentence.

So.... After all that blabbing... What I'm really trying to say is, try to interpret why the name of the PlayStation One is now well known as the PSX on your own terms, because really anything you come up with could have been the reason why to it was given that name. =P

P.S I hope i made sense "
    gare is a girl? i thought she was a guy..... anyways on topic, i never got that eather, i just call it a ps1 and i dont ask why people do things. to me, whatever they do or say is thier business and not mine even if it doesnt make sense. x means ten so maybey they are trying to say playstaion 10 lol

Thanks

Not too sure about the PS1 and PSX issues, but I want to bring to attention GCN. GCN = Gamecube, Game Cube Nintendo. Now I have never said; 'I have a Gamecube Nintendo', and if I did pronounce the full title, it'd be; 'Nintendo Gamecube', like every other system by Nintendo, you say Nintendo prior to the system (Except for SNES since the Nintendo comes after Super) So shouldn't GCN actually be NGC?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

That's yet another development name that hung around, but I believe Nintendo officially wanted that used as the abbreviation. Which makes them a million times smarter than Sony. You can't un-name things and expect everyone to comply.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sony made the PSX short hand and tbh I never thought PS1 fit as a discription for all when there is a Playstation and Playstation One (the slim line) so me when i say PSX i mean the original model when i say PS1 i mean the slim line

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

I called the N64 "Ultra 64" during its first year, after being released in Europe. They originally called it that, atleast in Sweden and it sounded awesome. Same with PSX.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, here in Brazil the most well known consoles are from Sony. It's commom here if you are talking about the Game Cube, and someone suddenly asks WTF is that. So here nobody says PS or PSX, we say Play 1, Play 2 or Play 3. For us it sounds easier then saying PÉH-ESSE-UM (portuguese pronounciation of PS1). We only say Play, not because we forgot the Station, it's bacause most people aren't used to the english accent. If some do say, they would pronounce IS-TAH-TI-ON. XD

Thanks
    EP Points

Gare is a girl, holy crap man!