Thread: Collecting and Software

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thumbs up Collecting and Software

Im a subscriber to Steve Benway's video's and rather enjoy it and his Friday Talkie this friday got me thinking quite alot

I Can fully agree with what he is saying in collecting and the downloads of games that are no longer sold, and while i do have a very large collection of ISO / Roms for even PSP I also do have a very large collection of retail games (think im at 50+ psp games, almost 350 pc games on steam about another 100 on pc cd / dvd)

Whats your take on the thoughts of Steve on this one?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can totally agree with what he says. I don't download or emulate any of the systems that he's talking about, but I used to emulate NES games before I would purchase them off eBay, just to see if I liked it or if I should get one that I actually enjoyed first before going out of my way to add a terrible title to my collection.

I can agree with the Nintendo DS flash carts, as well. While I own an Acekard 2i, for me it's more of a trial basis thing. I've so far put six games that I was actually really excited about onto my Acekard, and am thankful that I had the chance to download them and try them out on the actual hardware first, because otherwise I would have been massively disappointed in my purchases. All but one of them I did not enjoy at all.

I don't personally agree with people who only download games of the newer systems. Yes, I understand that money is tight, etc, etc, but I have always been of the opinion that most people live way above their means and spend more money on stuff that they do not need, rather than stuff that they actually do need. If you can't afford to purchase the games, then you shouldn't even bother purchasing the hardware. At least, that's my opinion. When it comes to software and stuff that is no longer on the market and there is no other way to get it other than pawn shops or eBay, I see no problems downloading those and using them, because like he said: the developer gets none of the money whatsoever.

For the most part, though, I believe that piracy is piracy. I don't think there should be a line in the sand where one kind of piracy is good and one kind is bad. I think it is all considered piracy, whether you can still purchase the software or not. That's not to say that I'll condemn anyone for downloading stuff, or that I don't do the same thing, but I consider all piracy as piracy. There is no gray area in that, in my opinion.

Not really sure if that was coherent or not. Fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I can totally agree with what he says. I don't download or emulate any of the systems that he's talking about, but I used to emulate NES games before I would purchase them off eBay, just to see if I liked it or if I should get one that I actually enjoyed first before going out of my way to add a terrible title to my collection.

I can agree with the Nintendo DS flash carts, as well. While I own an Acekard 2i, for me it's more of a trial basis thing. I've so far put six games that I was actually really excited about onto my Acekard, and am thankful that I had the chance to download them and try them out on the actual hardware first, because otherwise I would have been massively disappointed in my purchases. All but one of them I did not enjoy at all.

I don't personally agree with people who only download games of the newer systems. Yes, I understand that money is tight, etc, etc, but I have always been of the opinion that most people live way above their means and spend more money on stuff that they do not need, rather than stuff that they actually do need. If you can't afford to purchase the games, then you shouldn't even bother purchasing the hardware. At least, that's my opinion. When it comes to software and stuff that is no longer on the market and there is no other way to get it other than pawn shops or eBay, I see no problems downloading those and using them, because like he said: the developer gets none of the money whatsoever.

For the most part, though, I believe that piracy is piracy. I don't think there should be a line in the sand where one kind of piracy is good and one kind is bad. I think it is all considered piracy, whether you can still purchase the software or not. That's not to say that I'll condemn anyone for downloading stuff, or that I don't do the same thing, but I consider all piracy as piracy. There is no gray area in that, in my opinion.

Not really sure if that was coherent or not. Fuck.
    It was coherent enough that I know what you mean and aye I agree, Ill be curious to hear what others think.

Thanks

Everyone is going to take a different stance about it. Downloading games no longer produced is fine. I don't think its right to pirate software that makes a company money though, because I mean hey. How would I like it if I had a product and someone was stealing it? Its a WWJD moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Seeing as Jesus even pirates food, I think it's clear what he would do.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm too lazy to mod my systems or get them modded, so I've been fairly legit when it comes to buying physical copies of the games. But then that's because I AM a collector of software. About the only current system I do pirate is the DS because of flash carts, but the majority of the games I have played and enjoyed, I've bought physical copies of just to have them because, well, they're that good. I don't pirate for the PC because, well, I'm not much of a PC gamer and because, honestly, it's just not worth the risk to my system because some script kiddie decided to toss in a virus for the lulz.

With over 200 games, the industry obviously has my support. Especially XSEED for their amazing work with Ys and Steam (and thus the companies who have put up their catalogs) for introducing me to some pretty good PC games that I've never heard of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Seeing as Jesus even pirates food, I think it's clear what he would do.
    That's different. You need food to survive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Methinks it's wrong pirating games that still sells and make money for their creators. But it gets murky the farther back in time, Noone is going to care if someone Dowlnoad a game made in 198x for a obscure system that no is available anywhere