Thread: Need help with MAME

Thanks

Default Need help with MAME

Right now im trying to figure out how to use MAME to its fullest, but i cannot figure out why some of my ROMs that i have for MAME only work on certain versions.

I've downloaded Mame32 ver 0.90ui and played Metal slug on it. It worked perfectly. But when i use a Version of MAME from this site the game doesnt work saying "its missing a rom or CHD file"

anyone know why this is? Im also trying to figure out where to get missing ROM or CHD files, but i cant find where.

EDIT: i cant remember the exact name of the MAME version i was using from this site but it wasnt the 64 bit (that doesnt work on my 32 bit computer ) and it wasnt the command link thing.

Rewardsgaming.net

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mame & MameUI (formally named MAME32) are just different ports rather than versions (they changed the name of MAME32 because that was the windows gui version but now they do a 64bit and 32bit version so named it UI instead of 32)

It's the version number and build number of MAME that makes the difference not the port used

with each build there are newer/more acurate rom dumps made so the roms needed by one build/version will change when the emu itself is updated to use new rom dumps/chd builds, sometimes you can rebuild/convert the chd to a newer format, the roms though you will need to find the newer dumps, if you got yourself a full rom set then look for that build of MAME to run it, recomending MameUI

Anyway hope this helps you understand why one version will run game x while another responds with rom x missing for game x's rom set

MAME is a fantastic emulator but the downside to arcade emulation is the fact that your rom set may become out of date with the next update making you look for roms again to fix those updated games, also not all the games listed in MAME will be playable even in the latest release due to only having beta drivers still in development, or only show so much, maybe even playable but with plenty of errors, or just no sound ect...

Also older sets and you have an older set by the sounds of it, are very hard to find, if you can find them at all... the latest build is 141.2/0.141u2 (there one in the same build wise)

Official MAMEUI page 32bit and 64bit versions available
    Official MAME page Command line version
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-February-2011 at 18:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I had this kind of problem also, but now i figured out everything about mame. Now i can run every rom perfectly without a few rom. Don't use mameui, instead use mame windows command-line binaries. Download the latest version 0.142 from official mame site. Then download full bios set for mame from http://www.emuparadise.org/. Some rom needs bios rom, such as neo geo games need neo-geo bios. Then copy those bios rom to the rom folder. Then download any game rom from this site. Remember to download set 1 rom or the world version. Now you can play any rom.

Thanks

I just don't see why the complete updated MAME with all the bios and everything you're talking about just can't be downloaded in one link from the start.