Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop RPG Thread! (Redux)

Thanks

Default Does Anyone Here Play Dnd?

I was just wondering if anyone here plays Dungeons and Dragons, and what they think of fourth edition.
    The Birds, The Bees, And The Robot Trees.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dachauncinator View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone here plays Dungeons and Dragons, and what they think of fourth edition.
    I'm using it as my first real attempt at playing Dnd and honestly it isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
    I'm certainly not the best one to ask considering my minimal knowledge of DnD, but I have played 1E, 3E, Pathfinder, and now 4E.
    My friends and I have begun playing for three consecutive nights we've stayed up until we had to leave for work in the morning.

Aside from that, I came here to see if anyone would be interested in playing the Tomb of Horrors module.
    I'm sure you all know about it, and how stupid awesome it is, but I've never had the chance to play it and would to.
    I heard they remade it for 4E, and if anyone wants to play it in the 4E version I think I would be better suited to that since I know the mechanics a bit better.
    (Although preferably the 1E version since it's supposedly the best version.)

Anyone interested jut shoot me a PM or whatever and we can all start collaberating. Posting here means I might miss it, but PMs get emailed to me on my phone.

Thanks

i play a regular group of 4th edition shadowrun, we upgraded after playing 3rd edition for two years, (once a week)

Thanks

Hey there guys. I just wanted to come by and drop some knowledge in case you wanted to hear. I podcast with a group of people and we generally talk about tabletop RPG design. So far, we are at 42 episodes and I started chatting with them on episode 32. 32-36 are poor quality, but has some great subject matter, especially 32 when we talk about imagination and how it changes a game.

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <--There is the link for everybody and I hope for your feedback (hopefully not painful).

We playtest games in production if you know someone who needs some advice on their design. I thought this would be an appropriate place since my group discusses tabletop RPGs. Point me in the right direction if this is the wrong place.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well now, here's a thread that we haven't seen in a while. Let's see if we can't kick up a little bit of discussion. Anyone tried D&D 5e Next yet? The first run of the early rules is available here for free, after all. I'm getting ready to download it myself, but I've heard a pretty wide range of feedback, a lot of it actually positive. There seems to be a very 2e/3.5e vibe to it that has a lot of people enthused, and the rules-light nature of what's available for the playtest seems to have other people pleased.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, I really dropped the ball on what I said I was gonna do. Life got in the way. Also laziness. Mostly the latter.
    Gonna work on it at some point.

As for DnD Next, I've haven't played it because I forgot about the playtest. And I currently don't have a group in the summer. But I have been reading the forums (mostly rpg.net) and they seem to be...less than enthused by it right now. They say the fighter is weak and doesn't have enough options, Dwarven Cleric of Moridin is too strong, Wizard can body encounters, Dis/Advantage is too powerful...

So, a lot of what they said about 2nd and 3rd.

Personally, from what I've been reading on how they're developing it from this and overall plans, I'm liking what I'm hearing: Number inflation is going to go down, classes are going to get more options instead, themes and backgrounds look like the way to customise your character instead of rampant multiclassing... I'm pretty enthused. I never had a problem with 4th, but as a dude who really is tired at looking at numbers/stats (because damn you GURPS/HERO System/ Fantasy Craft/All those other games I check out on the regular...) Having to only look at small ones makes me happy in the brain pan.

Thanks

I don't plan on signing up for the playtest because I don't want to write up a NDA just to see the rules. Plus, after playing 3rd+4th edition, I'm not an easy sell anymore when it comes to D&D. Heck, even then I just bought the basic books and nothing more.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So, as it's been an entire year since I've updated the thread, that clearly means it's time to add something. Progress!

But yeah, hopefully I'll be better at it this year in terms of updating the thread.

Thanks

I play DND 4E about every 1-2 months but when i get into it i play once a week with a group that meets up at different hobby stores and what not.

Thanks

I almost forgot about this. My friends are designing Tabletop RPGs and have some playtests available if you are interested in playing something new. http://www.miserytourism.com/

Their work is a little mature, but mainly in the sense of sensitive subjects. As an example, one of them is about some high schoolers getting ready to shoot people in school when a zombie outbreak occurs. If that seems interesting, take a look. All the playtests are free and they would like some feedback, positive or negative on the mechanics if you want to help them make it better.

Thanks

great. i been lookin for some of the SRDs in here for a while. i'm makin' my own game and no, i'm not sharing details.

Thanks

Has anyone heard of World Of Darkness? I had a friend mention it a few months back and i was wondering if its any good? Also if anyone could elaborate on it more for me other than it being a modern day vampire table top

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Cyrus View Post
    Has anyone heard of World Of Darkness? I had a friend mention it a few months back and i was wondering if its any good? Also if anyone could elaborate on it more for me other than it being a modern day vampire table top
    Generally it is like DnD where the bulk of the fun is trying not to go overboard on memorizing the rules. There is a lot of sludge for spellcasting classes and it usually ruins the plot if a player chooses to be a dick in their scenes. For easy playing, don't go higher than 5 points more than your starting points at character creation.

The game tends to be better off as a superhuman game than about Vampires, but White Wolf had two Masquerade games released for PC to give you a better feel on how to GM a session. It mainly revolves around giving players enough to continue, but never tell them what's really going on in the background. A lot of Story-Gamers dislike that since they can't revel in the drama, but it delivers a better gut punch when it happens.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Would links to AD&D 2ed books be bad? I've been finding some nice resources lately.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

I always wanted to try out D&D, but have no real friends to try it out with. Oh well, still really fun to read peoples' stories.