Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop RPG Thread! (Redux)

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone ever played the PnP game that Hunter: The Reckoning was based on?
    I've been googling but can't find any kind of ruleset or even what it's called.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSnake View Post
    Anyone ever played the PnP game that Hunter: The Reckoning was based on?
    I've been googling but can't find any kind of ruleset or even what it's called.
    Hunter the Reckoning?

It's part of the (old) World of Darkness and the Ruleset was the Storyteller System. It's also called Hunter the Reckoning.

That being said, I never played it, and I only have Hunter: The Vigil which is kinda like it's spiritual successor.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ivolt View Post
    Hunter the Reckoning?

It's part of the (old) World of Darkness and the Ruleset was the Storyteller System. It's also called Hunter the Reckoning.

That being said, I never played it, and I only have Hunter: The Vigil which is kinda like it's spiritual successor.
    Yeah turned out to be World of Darkness with Hunter: THe Vigil being what I was after.
    If you're interested in getting some people together to play, I can send you the pdf files for the rulebooks and the coreset for Vigil.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSnake View Post
    Yeah turned out to be World of Darkness with Hunter: THe Vigil being what I was after.
    If you're interested in getting some people together to play, I can send you the pdf files for the rulebooks and the coreset for Vigil.
    I am way ahead of you.

I just need to read them.

Along with the rest of the nWoD.

This fucking backlog.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have updated with several games. Podcasts and threads come later this week.

Thanks

Always wanted to get into Vampire: The Masquerade ever since I played Bloodlines. I heard there is a massive gathering this September in New Orleans called The Grand Masquerade. Wish I could go but I'll be busy that week and the hotel is already sold out so when the actual tickets go up they'll disappear in no time. Anybody play VTM and has an opinion on it?

Thanks

Nice idea and it really captured the zeitgeist.

However, the system and the ideas that really went into its creation haven't aged that well. Very metaplot heavy and with quite sloppy mechanics.

Thanks
    EP Points

Picked up the play book for Game of thrones, don't really play these anymore but it's a great read nonetheless!!

it can use the D20 system and there's lots of neat things you can do like all the background stuff, picking your level of nobility and having kids as player characters with advantages and disadvantages, if anyone is into tabletops and looking for something newer I definitely recommend!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The odd thing about Hunter, Vampire, other White Wolf games is that they are made for LARPing, not tabletop. You are supposed to get an outfit and make-up to make yourself look like your character, with any dangerous prop being replaced by a card. Instead of pointing a toy gun at somebody, which could get you shot by a policeman passing by, you have a 3x5 index card that says GUN on it. Basically, story trumps rules, and your character is somewhat limited by your abilities.

Other LARP games I've heard of are NERO, which despite being New England Role-playing Organization, has been played in MN. And The Society for Creative Anochronism, which is nearly all roleplay and nearly no rules, except that your costume has to be made using historically accurate materials and techniques, and you have to speak and act appropriately for the time. This is the main avenue for people in America to learn to speak Olde English.

I still like RoleMaster. It's like Advanced MERPS 2nd Ed, to use a D&D analogy. My bro has whole worlds created and characters he likes enough eventually become the gods of the realm.

I play Cuushin McHale, a berserker with god-like Self Discipline. In his younger days he ran through a firewall into a band of orcs, then back through it to get away from them. He also chopped his own arm off and nearly died.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    The odd thing about Hunter, Vampire, other White Wolf games is that they are made for LARPing, not tabletop. You are supposed to get an outfit and make-up to make yourself look like your character, with any dangerous prop being replaced by a card. Instead of pointing a toy gun at somebody, which could get you shot by a policeman passing by, you have a 3x5 index card that says GUN on it. Basically, story trumps rules, and your character is somewhat limited by your abilities.
    What? That's not true. At all.

Yeah, I know the WoD games have a large LARP community, but they're not "games meant to to LARPed". And the reason they get LARPed is because of the themes of the games: it's not all about killing things and taking their stuff. In any case, the rules of the game are clearly focused and centered around being played on a table, and the rules are there to tell a good story. The rules get ignored in a LARP because it breaks immersion to roll a dice to see if you succeed.

Also, I'd like to note that most LARPs don't flat out take place in the middle of the city where they have problems with the police.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

At any rate, like you said, it's not a hack-n-slash game. It's very much about getting into character and playing to your characters motivations and back-story. From the role-playing groups I have been with, that is an alien concept. Almost exclusively, RPG groups I have played with seemed to be REALLY SLOW versions of WoW where you run around killing everything and trying to become capable of killing Gods. Actually getting into character, talking to the people, being a part of the land, these things are lost on most PnP gamers. I really feel limited in most of these groups. If only D&D played less like M:tG...

O, just in case you haven't seen it, you can find Dorkness Rising on youtube. It's a indie movie about a groups of RPers who suddenly find their DMs ex-girlfriend, an RPG virgin, dropped into their group, destroying their hack-n-slash frag fest. Best part: She pwns them the whole time.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 21st-August-2011 at 07:20.

Thanks

Anyone ever play the d6 version of star wars?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AMNVanNess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes. It was made by West End Games.
    Being a Jedi requires being solely focused on force powers/skills. For instance, to use Lightsaber Combat force power to deflect blaster bolts requires 3 rolls and all are penalized -2D6 per action beyond the first, so you have to roll Control at -4D6, Sense at -4D6, and Lightsaber skill at -4D6. Unless you are a Jedi Master, trying to deflect a blaster bolt will probably chop your own head off.
    Being non-Jedi was fun, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Heya. Just popped in and noticed that Risus isn't on the list. It's a cute little free gem that's based entirely around rules-light principles. Basically, you create your character on a single index card based on certain clichés (from the rules examples given, things like biker, spy, nerd, supermodel, or Shatner), ranked roughly based on skill level up to ten dice total. It's pure d6 for combat resolution (where combat is any opposed action, like fights, arguments, or duel by banjo), where you can use whatever cliché you can justify (even completely inappropriate ones like fighting a barbarian with your home ec skills, as long as your description is entertaining enough). Website is here, and it's a free six-pager. It's worth taking a look at, certainly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Double-post, I know, but another cute game courtesy of people responsible for inflicting on an unsuspecting world translating Maid RPG, and this time it's free. It's still in beta and a few issues have been pointed out, but the third draft of the ruleset and supplemental materials can be found here, and you can just check the linked blog for further updates as well. Basically, in the game, you play as a magical girl, recruited by QB a tsukaima (familiar) to combat witches youma within their barrier Nightmare, collecting the Grief Seed Oblivion Seed. By collecting 13 Oblivion Seeds, the magical girl gains the ability to make one wish, but the going can be stressful, as characters struggle to maintain relationships with each other and the unknowing people around them, and even when they succeed, they build up stress referred to as Overcharge. Also, try to avoid losing your head; mental breakdowns may be part and parcel of the experience, but an ill-timed Fallout or Change roll due to building up Overcharge may well lead to disaster, losing Resolve may cost your character the ability to transform at a critical juncture, and the tsukaima always have at least one hidden Secret concealed from their wards. No, it's not at all based on Madoka Magica; why would you ask?

Also, just for fun, sample random character generation time, because it really is in the same fashion as Maid RPG:

Spoiler warning:
    Character Name: (3)(5)/(5)(1) Kagurazaka Sasami
    Type: (6)(2) Pop Idol
    Roots: (1)(6) I can’t let my friend fight alone!
    Wish: (2)(6) I wish my friend could smile again.

Magical Girl Name: (15)(16)(16) Mystic Star Magical Sasami
    Magical Weapon: (56) Tea Ware
    Magical Element: (24) Shadow
    Magical Powers: (61) Though you might prefer not to have it, you possess the ability to call up insects.
    Magical Costume: (16) (66) Star, Omega

Crisis: (56) Someone killed my tsukaima and left a warning written in his blood.

In other words, a peppy character who joined to fight alongside her friend, someone on whom the toll of endless fights has begun to wear down upon. She fights as elegantly as though she were conducting a tea ceremony, but with darker powers over insects of the night that belie her light-hearted, easy-going nature. The mysterious death of her tsukaima is only the beginning for her...
    Last edited by Mistral; 11th-November-2011 at 02:44.