Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: what does everyone miss about the old days of gaming?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shareware View Post
    Except NFL BLITZ and NBA JAM.

Those were the SHIT, due in no small part to the fact that some of the stuff they did in those games are physically impossible.

And the other stuff would result in serious injury or death IRL. So to those games I say fuck yeah, and to actual sims I say fuck naw.
    "Boom Shakalaka" and "He's on fire!"(Literally)

Quote Originally Posted by trencej View Post
    Amen Brother.

You can see the industry is taking notice too, what with all the retro games collections, remakes, and reimaginings of old games that are abundant these days.

Two of my favorite games of this generation are Super street fighter 2 HD remix, And Pacman CE. Both great games, And both originally, very old.

(just as an aside, i keep seeing people speedtest.net sigs. Is the internet really that slow in america?)
    Here is my Speed test

and my Ping test

And it's been relatively fast recently. And when I say relatively I mean it's usually 10 times slower than dialup.
    Here are some specs of different average download speeds in all countries.
    http://netindex.com/download/allcountries/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Electrona View Post
    I miss the simplicity of getting wrapped in shear creative gameplay instead of graphic design (which is also very nice to have) but I also miss the arcades where you could hang out among other kids with a pocket full of change. I would honestly take a community of real hardcore gamers competing in single and two-player games than an xbox live full of little immature kids, talking what ever smack they learned in middle school while playing a multiplayer game (mostly COD) any day.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to hear that everyone here also wants the same feel when playing video games I guess the head gaming companies must be losing their edge.

Also about that whole dlc deal, they have been doing that quite a bit to games and it is starting to annoy me. Unless it is like an expansion or something they should hold on to those games another month or so to put it all in because it is just more respectful to your customers to give them the full package. I mean we are paying about $60 per game already but on top of all that their going to charge another $5~$10 for extra characters or story add-on soon afterwards. Not cool.

Thanks

I'm glad to hear that everyone here also wants the same feel when playing video games I guess the head gaming companies must be losing their edge.

Also about that whole dlc deal, they have been doing that quite a bit to games and it is starting to annoy me. Unless it is like an expansion or something they should hold on to those games another month or so to put it all in because it is just more respectful to your customers to give them the full package. I mean we are paying about $60 per game already but on top of all that their going to charge another $5~$10 for extra characters or story add-on soon afterwards. Not cool.
    i've heard that some of these so called DLC's are actually just unlocking things that ARE on the actual disc itself. meaning they hid content in the game so that people would have to pay an additional price to GET the whole package lol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Probably true sadly. What corporate will do for an extra dollar. Oh well lets just say I have a way of getting around their sneaky downloadable content ways lol.

Thanks

old days gaming huh?...
    it reminds me of pokemon,the first game that i've played...
    but now,pokemon doesn't seems to attract my attention at all..
    sorry for the pokemon's fan out there

Thanks
    EP Points

Pokemon? Lol, the first game I ever played (besides a handheld TMNT game, remember those?) was Super Mario/Duckhunt for the NES. And the first RPG I played was Dragon Warrior for the NES. Man, I feel old. Those were the days when gaming really excited me. I mean, I would actually lose sleep because I would lay in bed thinking about getting up the next day to play my NES.

And I don't hate DLC just because its there, I hate it because it should be in the game already. Its one thing to release an expansion for a game, its another thing entirely to make people shell out extra money to unlock content thats already on the disc. That would be like if you went to McDonalds to get a hamburger and they were like "Oh, you wanted that on a bun? Ok, that'll be an extra 50 cents. Oh, you want pickles too? Thats also 50 cents". Its only going to get worse I'm afraid. And you can forget about free refills on your Dr. Pepper.

Thanks

Arcades. Walking down the hall at the local mall and hearing the barrage of loud arcade cabinet speakers sounding off. Then when you opened the doors to the arcade the volume of those speakers increasing ten fold. Oh how I pitty todays youth knowing they'll never experience that. When there were crowds of people arround the Street Fighter 2 and
    Mortal Kombat machines, all of whom had their quarters lined up on the monitors rim to secure their turn at bat.
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

When we had less buttons on joysticks... Now we have none!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSnake View Post
    I miss 2-D gameplay.
    Not to mention oldschool Turnbased RPGs, games that were actually a challenge, Couch-op gameplay, etc...
    Basically I miss how it didn't need to be complicated and online to have fun, just some friends and some time to kill.
    Definitely .

Probably true sadly. What corporate will do for an extra dollar. Oh well lets just say I have a way of getting around their sneaky downloadable content ways lol.
    I'm waiting for the day you can get DLC on a PS3 for free.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deathzero021 View Post
    i've heard that some of these so called DLC's are actually just unlocking things that ARE on the actual disc itself. meaning they hid content in the game so that people would have to pay an additional price to GET the whole package lol.
    Reminds me of GH2 for 360 and people complaining of the pricing for dlc. By that point you could have gotten both Guitar Hero 1 and 2 for the ps2 for $100 or you could substitute the 360 version of 2 for an extra $10. The problem was that if you wanted to buy all of the songs from the first one as DLC for 360, you would pay around $80. If you consider that the guitar component cost is $30(ps2 game being 50, 360 game being 60 and both guitar and game being 80 for ps2, 90, for 360)and you add that to the price, you got $120 if the dlc was sold with a game. Pricing for just the songs was the same as the ps2 version plus the guitar. I find that the pricing to be in bad taste of exploiting those that were too stupid to notice or those who didn't have a ps2. The fact that the pricing for the old songs was even more than the price of the second game even with the extra songs of the second game, it was a rip off.

My point is that I remember hearing that all of the dlc songs were already on the disc and the only thing people payed for was the license to play the song. PS2 GH 1 + 2 = $100.Ps2 GH1 + 360 GH2 = $110. 360 GH2 + GH1dlc = $170. If you payed for that, then you were robbed.

Edit: add $30 for an extra ps2 guitar if you go the route of ps2 GH1 and 360 GH2
    Last edited by Alan Heer; 16th-March-2011 at 19:46. Reason: forgot some math

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Some DLC is actually downloaded, to know you would need to look through all the files on the disc.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

i miss when being good at a game required skill (mike tysons punch out, original ninja gaidens, contra, anything where you get hit once and die and have 4 lives to get through the whole game). Maybe thats why i like fighting games so much. Anyone can pick up and play but if youre good you can inspire that rage that only nes systems inspired in the 80s. i dont think that translates to things like online FPS games where you can play over and over and learn maps and gain an edge. im talking about natural gaming ability. times when hand eye coordination and reflexes meant something.

and i couldnt agree more about the DLC stuff. I recently bought a used copy of dragon age origins for $14 and was stoked because i thought i got such a deal. in the end i probably paid more for it then i would have if id bought it new. BS

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by plasticandrage View Post
    i miss when being good at a game required skill (mike tysons punch out, original ninja gaidens, contra, anything where you get hit once and die and have 4 lives to get through the whole game). Maybe thats why i like fighting games so much. Anyone can pick up and play but if youre good you can inspire that rage that only nes systems inspired in the 80s. i dont think that translates to things like online FPS games where you can play over and over and learn maps and gain an edge. im talking about natural gaming ability. times when hand eye coordination and reflexes meant something.

and i couldnt agree more about the DLC stuff. I recently bought a used copy of dragon age origins for $14 and was stoked because i thought i got such a deal. in the end i probably paid more for it then i would have if id bought it new. BS
    I agree, nowadays all you do is pick up a game and defeat it within a day, with no effort =/
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks

Challenge, creativity, originality, Limmited Atempts Before Restart (seriously, how am I supposed to get really good at a game if I don't have to?) SOLID PHYSICS!!!!!!! Sonic, Solid. Mario, Solid. Halo, Glitchy as hell! Left 4 dead, GLITCHY as HELL! The problem with new games is that about 100 people are working on this single game, there is no personality. DOOM was made by 12 people, I work solo on Freeware, Donkey Kong in the arcade was pretty much just Shigeru Miyamoto, maybe some technical support, 'cause it WAS his first game. theres also no Skill involved in newer titles, no "geting the feel of it". I've seen freeware games for sonic that are a thousand times better than anything SEGA has come up with in the past 15 years, and all they did is follow the formula of the originals, add new levels, and maybe a graphical touch up. Games these days are just TOO complicated, too. You only need two or three buttons and a Dpad to make a great game, even in 3D with quality graphics, but NOOooooo..... Everyone has to learn how to use the "Sholder Triggers" and Duel Joysticks, OR Flail your arms around like your having a stroke, or just Touch the screen. it's just, we're relying too much on updated technoledgy (that isn't even that much updated, 3D perspective visuals were first home owned with the SEGA master System, and it worked!) to make the games for them. Also, with 3D animation, there's no need for comming up with new graphics, just edit the Human form into another character...wow... AND 3D? It's been done, I could do it! you need a pair of glasses with a screen in each eye's view, then make the camera angels for each screen about an inch away from each other, BadaBoom! 3D. and It can be done, do you see how thin Cell phones are geeting? that's the screen, cpu, Processor, Memory, interface, and power source, that can play Xbox Live... in a Credit card! I bet if someone used a game system about the size of an NES, added processors and new stuff, you could do all those same things, but better!
    What I miss... probably the ambition used to create something so massive, interactive, and physicaly realistic in a world which never really existed, except in computer space. 1s and 0s. usage of limited technolodgy to simulate another, completely different world, with patterns and objects that you must carefully navigate through to complete a goal. your not gonna get it on your first try, but that's how you learn...
    that's how you learn...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmedia View Post
    Challenge, creativity, originality, Limmited Atempts Before Restart (seriously, how am I supposed to get really good at a game if I don't have to?) SOLID PHYSICS!!!!!!! Sonic, Solid. Mario, Solid. Halo, Glitchy as hell! Left 4 dead, GLITCHY as HELL! The problem with new games is that about 100 people are working on this single game, there is no personality. DOOM was made by 12 people, I work solo on Freeware, Donkey Kong in the arcade was pretty much just Shigeru Miyamoto, maybe some technical support, 'cause it WAS his first game. theres also no Skill involved in newer titles, no "geting the feel of it". I've seen freeware games for sonic that are a thousand times better than anything SEGA has come up with in the past 15 years, and all they did is follow the formula of the originals, add new levels, and maybe a graphical touch up. Games these days are just TOO complicated, too. You only need two or three buttons and a Dpad to make a great game, even in 3D with quality graphics, but NOOooooo..... Everyone has to learn how to use the "Sholder Triggers" and Duel Joysticks, OR Flail your arms around like your having a stroke, or just Touch the screen. it's just, we're relying too much on updated technoledgy (that isn't even that much updated, 3D perspective visuals were first home owned with the SEGA master System, and it worked!) to make the games for them. Also, with 3D animation, there's no need for comming up with new graphics, just edit the Human form into another character...wow... AND 3D? It's been done, I could do it! you need a pair of glasses with a screen in each eye's view, then make the camera angels for each screen about an inch away from each other, BadaBoom! 3D. and It can be done, do you see how thin Cell phones are geeting? that's the screen, cpu, Processor, Memory, interface, and power source, that can play Xbox Live... in a Credit card! I bet if someone used a game system about the size of an NES, added processors and new stuff, you could do all those same things, but better!
    What I miss... probably the ambition used to create something so massive, interactive, and physicaly realistic in a world which never really existed, except in computer space. 1s and 0s. usage of limited technolodgy to simulate another, completely different world, with patterns and objects that you must carefully navigate through to complete a goal. your not gonna get it on your first try, but that's how you learn...
    that's how you learn...
    amen