Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: what does everyone miss about the old days of gaming?

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Playing really short and crappy games all day, sorta telling myself I was having fun.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks

Orginal plot devices. At the time some ideas were really good, but now its kinda "ehh" and the gameplay has to compensate for overused stories

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMagus0 View Post
    Orginal plot devices. At the time some ideas were really good, but now its kinda "ehh" and the gameplay has to compensate for overused stories
    SPACE SOLDIER SHOOTS GUNS IN SPACE

Thanks
    EP Points

pokemon gold, believe it or not, was my first gameboy color game. it was taken from me years ago by my dads girlfriend back then because she was a real bitch, took a hammer to the screen right in front of me. i regret selling my ps1, the memory card and the games (downloaded everythign to my psp but had to do everything over again then sold it when it began to die), i also hate how the consols dont last as long if your always playing them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

mine was pokemon silver, then mario golf, then gex

Thanks

I really don't miss much from older gaming, the library for every system was full of generic platformers with godawful programming. People complain about the FPS craze in current gaming, but it's nothing compared to the 2d platforming craze for the NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. If you consider the PSX old, it was full of awkward choppy 3D games that tried to do too much with not enough technology. Of course there are some masterpieces like Chrono Cross, but there's so few of them to notice.

If I walk into a Gamestop and look at the PS3 section, there really isn't a game I can say 'boy, that game sucks ass', compared to walking into a retro store and looking through NES games where literally probably 49 in 50 games do suck ass. The technology was primitive, and games were easy and cheap to produce. And it's not like the games sold for $10, it's standard pricing by today's standards: $50. Hell, even the N64 sold new games for $60. And with inflation, the $60 back then was more than the $60 now.

In terms of fun, current gaming is just better. Even if the games lack a vision or originality, the game's have depth and are pretty fun to play. Even movie license games like Toy Story 3 are fun and actually last more than 30 minutes. And it's not like older gaming was complete originality, because it wasn't. Yeah, games like Terranigma exists, but on the same console you have games like King of the Monsters that are generic as hell.

All I'm saying is to actually look at the games themselves, not the nostalgia and memories they bring.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    If I walk into a Gamestop and look at the PS3 section, there really isn't a game I can say 'boy, that game sucks ass'
    I can do that easily. At least 25 times, 40 if I look hard enough.

Anyway, asking whether or not "games are worse today" is redundant, seeing as games themselves aren't all the same. In general, games' quality is the same as ever. About 75% shovelware and 25% good games.

Look at the SNES, the NES, and the Genesis. Do you know how many games for those systems sucked out of their entire libraries? Proportionally about the same as today's systems.

The question of today's good games vs. yesterday's good games is a question of taste.

Honestly, other than the graphics, tech, and genres, the FANS are the only thing that has REALLY changed. Relative overall quality remains more the same than not.

Or whatever.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I miss what RPG's are back in the past. More emotional connection and great storyline. Now, it's all about graphics, graphics, graphics.

My wai-fu, among many other wai-fu, and they are my current favorite. What? Too nerdy? Well, I think it is.
    The Four Eyed Squire LP channel.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bittits View Post
    I liked when people didn't make fun of me for playing sonic the hedgehog. lol
    Whoever does this is clearly has no taste in games.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

I miss how gaming was all about having fun back in the day. That's not to say that playing online or being competitive isn't fun, but like Shareware said, there are so many elitists and people that are so hostile to new players that it kind of pushes people away from it. Retro games were also actually challenging but beatable with practice and were immensely more rewarding when you finally beat that boss or got past that stage you were stuck on, at least in my opinion. It feels like most single player games nowadays are designed to be so accessible that anyone could go through it without any trouble, which makes sense from a business standpoint but kind of takes some of the fun out of it for me I guess. I also dislike how many games put so much emphasis on graphics yet lack gameplay, or only last for 7-8 hours, if that. Of course there are exceptions to all of these statements, and much of this might be because of nostalgia, but it's what I miss the most about the old days of gaming at any rate.

Thanks
    EP Points

I miss the times where there was no Halo.

Oh the good days they were.

Thanks
    EP Points

I miss 2-D gameplay. Probably because of my wasted youth on MMX and the like, but I just never found anything that quite compares to rushing through 2D levels, killing a badass boss, then moving on and doing it again to an even cooler boss.
    Not to mention oldschool Turnbased RPGs, games that were actually a challenge, Couch-op gameplay, etc...

Basically I miss how it didn't need to be complicated and online to have fun, just some friends and some time to kill.

Thanks
    EP Points

what i really hate about online, you never find anyone who is willing to help you get achievments. once i went into halo reach online and asked if they would help me get an achievment and they basicly said for me to fuck off. so i just avoided all of them and gave them bad rep then sold the game and told my friend my cat knocked over my 360 with the game still in it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    what i really hate about online, you never find anyone who is willing to help you get achievments. once i went into halo reach online and asked if they would help me get an achievment and they basicly said for me to fuck off. so i just avoided all of them and gave them bad rep then sold the game and told my friend my cat knocked over my 360 with the game still in it.
    Oh yeah. The good ol' days of achievement hunting....

Thanks
    EP Points

achievments are the only reason i play the 360, other than that i am on my hot pink dsi or my silver ps2. oh yeah, controllers didnt break when you freaking dropped them! stupid 360 controller broke when it fell off my bed as well as my ps2 controller, i can fix it but we dont have the type of screw so i say driver it! lol