Thread: bionic commando

Thanks

Default bionic commando

does anyone have any opinions about the new ps3 bionic commando? the original was contested with any game from the mega man series as my favorite game when i was a kid and i just finished rearmed about 25 minutes ago. such great games both. i was thinking about it and recalled that there are like 4 copies in the $10 bin at my local video game pawn shop and i had brought it up to the guy while i was there one day, who recommended the game i had in my other hand over it (cant remember what it was now). those guys dont always know what they're talking about though, particularly at this store. they just like to pretend they do. so i looked up reviews on gamefaqs.com and there are only two. one giving it a 5/10 and pretty much saying its garbage and the other giving it a 9/10 and saying to not listen to anyone elses opinion about it especially if youre a fan. i mean i probably am going to buy it anyway just because worst case scenario i only wasted 10 bones. but i thought id ask here first and see if anyone had anything to say about it. you've never steered me wrong before.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

You know, I really enjoyed it. It's obviously a flawed game but the arm mechanism works really well! So much fun to swing around.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Admittedly I only put like an hour or 2 into the game, and it's supposed to get better later in the game, but I absolutely hated the piece of garbage. I've never been much of a fan of FPS games, and this just seemed to be one with broken controls... The arm mechanic which should've been the highlight of the game didn't work how I'd of liked and it seemed to require specific points that you could attach to, instead being able to fire the thing at anything. I donno, the whole game just rubbed me in the wrong way. Like profanity in Bionic Commando, what? I'd probably give the game a 1/10, but I'm being overly critical and didn't play it enough to really justify such a low score.

Rearmed was pretty awesome though, but I chalk that up to Bionic Commando being awesome. After playing both these, I think I just hated Grin. Everything they chose to noticeably alter (except for the music, that was awesome) pissed me off. I smiled when I heard they died, and I'm really looking forward to Rearmed 2
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    You know, I really enjoyed it. It's obviously a flawed game but the arm mechanism works really well! So much fun to swing around.
    This. I enjoyed it a lot, and the people complaining about the arm mechanics baffle me. I thought it was really fun to use, and loved all the swinging. Btw, which platform did you play on, crusher? I finished it on PC, and had no problems with the controls on mouse+keyboard.

Hell, I'm actually thinking of doing an LP of it just to show you guys how it's done.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    This. I enjoyed it a lot, and the people complaining about the arm mechanics baffle me. I thought it was really fun to use, and loved all the swinging. Btw, which platform did you play on, crusher? I finished it on PC, and had no problems with the controls on mouse+keyboard.

Hell, I'm actually thinking of doing an LP of it just to show you guys how it's done.
    PS3 and I had no problems with the controls at all. You should do an LP. I'd watch it.

Thanks

im gonna buy it. im definitely enough of a fan to go out on a limb. i just read a review talking about how its one of the rare next gen games that rewards skill. which sells me almost immediately. then it compared the skill rewards to demons souls. which gets my attention again. that on top of what you guys are saying. im in. thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

It's not an exceptional game, but it isn't bad either. I've played it till it, so yeah, it can be really fun.
    The only serious con I found is the saving system if you are going to get all the collectibles, they won't be saved till you reach a checkpoint and if you miss any collectible there's no chapter select.
    Other than that it's a good purchase for the price.

Thanks
    EP Points

@plasticandrage - You could try playing on Hard on your first playthrough. That's what I did, and it was more challenging, but I still finished the game without major problems. You just need to master the arm mechanics and not be overly reckless.

Thanks

The PS3 game was great. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

I believe it did a good job re-capturing the feel of the original as well. Unlike some others here, I didn't notice any game flow breaking issues.

It was a nice, solid, title for the system.

Thanks

I haven't played the PS3 one but I've played them on different systems and I love them.

Thanks

in my opinion mastering the bionic arm is where the fun was in the other 2 games. like you could just play them like any other game but at the same time if you really got your timing down you could really skill it up. knock enemies off ledges or swing yourself into them coming off of multiple swings from a ceiling. it sounds to me like that element is still there in the new one. if thats the case im sold.

Thanks

Never could play the first one myself, the new seems like it would have a much more distinct learning curve also.

Thanks

Have you played Bionic Commando Rearmed 2?