Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NGP Discussion

Thanks

Default NGP Discussion

As we all know, or may not, Sony has revealed it's new gaming device. The proxy name right now is the NGP, which hopefully isn't the full name.

Spoiler warning:
    It offers the much demanded second analog stick which is amazing, but also adds little gimmicks here or there, like a gyroscope, accelerometer, touchscreen OLED screen, and a touch panel on the back of the system.

Spoiler warning:
    This is pretty innovative, it's basically like using a touch screen while still physically holding the system in both your hands, leaving you to be able to use both the left side and right side of controls. It will be pretty cool to be able to slid through menus without taking your hands away from an end to touch the screen. I'm really quite interested on how they will implement this feature without being annoyingly gimmicky, like the Wii and DS can be.

The NGP boasts that it can handle near-PS3 graphics and processing, with a high resolution screen. Not HD, mind you, but still really good. Additions such as 3G would make portable gaming amazing, to be able to just walk in the streets while playing 4-player LittleBigPlanet over the internet, or playing a match of CoD. Whatever you want. But 3G still requires a data plan, which is kind of annoying. But in the end, it's like a PS3 in your pocket with internet all around you. At least to me, it sounds damn amazing.

As you can probably tell, I'm extremely looking forward to this. What are your thoughts about the NGP?

Thanks
    EP Points

I just hope it doesn't end up being anywhere close to the pseudo-price gamestop had for it on their preorder (which was $999)

It looks interesting. As long as a decent chunk of games can be played on it, I have some hope in sony.

Thanks

If there's an option to dim the screen to save battery life, or it lasts around 4 hours, I will definitely get one when its out and I have the money. The 2 analog sticks pretty much had me sold, but if the battery can't hold up on a trip or play long bursts for rpgs, than it's just not worth it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I imagine (read: hope) they learned from PSP and included some features such as backlight level, possibly processor limiter, that sort of stuff.

Thanks

now i finally understand why the touchpad is on the back, thanks a lot for that info. im not sold on it yet though, it needs ps2 bc.

Thanks

I'm not sure if they will show to the public what LiveArea is all about, and that Sony must have the power of the PS3 to the handheld.
    Now after its released, will the NGP be hackable?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Generation_Portable

Thanks

Sony said it will def. be less than the PS3 initial pricing ($599) because they knew how much of a flop that was.

To compete with the 3DS and casual phones, I think Sony will probably list it for $350. That price is enough that people can afford it, while knowing it's a pretty beefy piece of hardware.

I actually forgot to say this, but the NGP is going with cartridges. We all know how inefficient disc-based loading is, like without installing games like Peace Walker, missions could take up to nearly 2 minutes of loading. Even the PS3 suffers from this, but that's because of the nature of blu-ray. PS3 graphics and better processing with insta-loading? Sweet.

Thanks
    EP Points

an estimated price of between $299 and $350 is what others are thinking, too.

So that seems reasonable. At least if it's performance lives up to what they claim.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Its shaping up well although i wont be trying to buy one at release mind you, Im not that rich ill be riding out my PSP1 for some time to come.

Still with all the Tilt Sensors and touch screens 50% of the NDS owners that are casual could maybe look beyond Nintendo and then the fan boys can be silenced about the sales figures that being said Id rather not see more pet sims and puzzle / casual games than anything else that the NDS Suffers from so much, and dont get me wrong I think the DS Had potential but not many games make use of that potential and the Ratio in amount of games from Junk to Something playable is outta wack.... oh and the D-Pad sucks on DS too

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    I imagine (read: hope) they learned from PSP and included some features such as backlight level, possibly processor limiter, and a few games every now and then.

Thanks

I sure wish battery technology would take another leap forward like it did with lithium. Modern batteries suck so bad.

Oh, right, NGP. Looks awesome,. first day buy, etc, etc.

Thanks

It would be so awesome if they could port over PS3 games onto the NGP.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    It would be so awesome if they could port over PS3 games onto the NGP.
    I thought the purpose of most PS3 games was to look good on a super big screen, not be tiny ?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

lol but heard it design as a ps2 portable and probably wont be able to play ps3 game. just like the psp which can play ps1 but not ps2 game, think they will launch one for a psp3 in the future.
    as far as the pricing will still buy it as long it below $500
    need to but down on other junks i buy to save money

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlord630 View Post
    lol but heard it design as a ps2 portable and probably wont be able to play ps3 game. just like the psp which can play ps1 but not ps2 game, think they will launch one for a psp3 in the future.
    as far as the pricing will still buy it as long it below $500
    need to but down on other junks i buy to save money
    From what I've been seeing it looks like it will be around $300 - $350.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.