Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 DRM To Be Implemented Shortly

Thanks

Default PS3 DRM To Be Implemented Shortly

It is rumored that Sony is planning on implementing serial keys with all new Blu-ray discs on the PlayStation 3. This would be a similar method to how PC games work currently. These keys would lock to a specific game which means that this new functionality could cripple the PS3 used games market as well. If implemented this would be the first legitimate attempt at a DRM on consoles.
    SOURCE

I don't reckon it'll be long before someone finds a way around it, be it custom eboots, or just another loop on their security. If they implement it the way I think they are going to, goodbye rental games

I am your usual forum loiterer...depleating bandwidth one post at a time.

If you download, don't forget to thank

Must keep kouen off the front page of PSP Uploads

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

How would this affect my PS3 that's never been (and most likely never will be) online? Will my Neptunia preorder be unplayable? At that point I may as well just bootleg 100% of the PS3 games I'd want...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

while i understand their want to prevent a psp-ization of the the ps3, I don't think this will help. My guess is it's only going to deter potential new customers from buying the system.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, not getting a PS3 now if this turns out to be true.

Thanks
    EP Points

my point proven.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

BUHAHAHAHAHA! Now console users will suffer the same fate as PC Users! Finally the Circle is complete and the 4 horseman shall bring upon the Apocalypse!

In seriousness though, Cant see any other way Sony can keep piracy under control on there machine now, since its hardware and software recognition security has been destroyed. Ya cant blame Sony for protecting its shit as it where and although I dislike DRM being a PC Gamer... they got no other real choice here
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 27th-January-2011 at 09:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well if they keep this shit up I'll end up modding my PS3, and I had no intentions of doing so until I read about this.

Sony just need to take the Microsoft approach to piracy, man the fuck up and let them get on with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Well if they keep this shit up I'll end up modding my PS3, and I had no intentions of doing so until I read about this.

Sony just need to take the Microsoft approach to piracy, man the fuck up and let them get on with it.
    Funny thing is, you don't need to mod your ps3 to play copied games, maybe you will with these DRM games you will have to do something (time will tell eh). But all games prior to that will just need a patch applied to the game before its burnt.

I am your usual forum loiterer...depleating bandwidth one post at a time.

If you download, don't forget to thank

Must keep kouen off the front page of PSP Uploads

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentPsycho View Post
    Funny thing is, you don't need to mod your ps3 to play copied games, maybe you will with these DRM games you will have to do something (time will tell eh). But all games prior to that will just need a patch applied to the game before its burnt.
    ... you don't burn games. You install .pkgs.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll believe this when I see it in effect. There were rumours floating around before the PS3 was even released that you wouldn't be able to sell your games because the discs would lock to a specific console. Not only did the speculation turn out to be utter nonsense, there was also a huge, HUGE backlash against the idea. It won't happen.

Thanks

I don't think Sony will do this. Honestly, I understand it is to prevent piracy, but the consequences of the DRM will turn away new customers and piss off old ones. They're treating us like rats in cages. Not that many people know how to mod a console, nor do they want to. But this, this will be the turning point.

Thanks

You know what? I'm okay with this, on one condition. It stops assholes from stealing my damn games. About half my collection has been purchased at least twice, somet games more. Probably won't work though. Like,maybe I could pay for the key and then if some jackass steals my game I can somehow get another disc so I can still play without forking over 60 bucks again. Or maybe somehow take the disk out of the equation altogether. If only there was some kind of account based system that linked in to some kind of... online store. You know, you make an account, and sign in, and that allows you to play whatever games you've purchased. And maybe you could... I don't know _download_ the games onto your console. But that would take a harddrive. Okay, I'm being an ass now, but seriously though, PSN, WiiWare, Steam, whatever the xbox'x store is called, that's the future of game purchasing.

Thanks
    EP Points

I honestly don't think this will stand. This will put almost all rental places out of PS3 games and gamestop would no longer have shit in the way of PS3 games if they are only gonna carry new if any DRM PS3 games at all do to almost no used market. I mean hell, they barely carry PC games as it is. Sony shoots itself in the face if they do this. If I wanted CD keys I would still be playing on my PC.

Thanks

I don't know. On one hand, I'm thinking Quiji is probably right - Sony can't be dumb enough to do this.

But then on the other hand, I remember Sony can be kind of assholes when it comes to protecting themselves (poorly) from piracy. They already fancy the PS3 a console/computer and I doubt they give a damn about the used market since they don't make anything on resold games anyway.

I don't think I would have any problems personally with this, but it would seriously piss me off all the same. They have no respect for their audience and all they're doing is setting up challenges for the people who will abuse the system regardless.

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Start a company
    Make quality products
    Get rich
    Form huge fanbase
    Mess with your products
    Lose money and fanbase
    Sony who?