Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Many Modders of EP 2!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default The Many Modders of EP 2!

Gotta start over from where we left off...This thread is for the use of recording the successes and failures of anyone who performs any type of modification to anything gaming related.

For those of you who did not tune in last time, I had performed a simple fan mod on the 360 I bought from Sprung.
    Since this thread was lost and the pics with it, I will only briefly explain:

I made a cut out on the broad side of the 360, Just above the largest heat sink, inserted a brushless computer fan, and connected it to 12v. Then I connected the default fans to 12v as well, instead of the original 5v. This managed to give the thing a few more months of life, and then I kinda broke it...

I will Title this: DMG-01 & MGB-001 mod
    This weekend though, as a new mod, I chose to perform what is called the ProSound mod on an old DMG-01. (The DMG-01 happens to be what most people call the original FAT Gameboy.)
    Again, I stripped some computer parts from an old junker I have lying around, as I did with the 360 fan. This time, I pulled out A pretty blue LED, an orange one and an ordinary 1/8" female sound jack. By melting the connections with my crappy soldering iron, I managed to loose the joints and spare each piece for use in the GB.

Essentially, the Prosound mod reroutes the audio data from the amp making it less staticy. This is of great use for those who will be composing music with an LSDJ, which I hope to do in the future, given I find either an LSDJ cart, or am able to make my own programmable cart, and flash the LSDJ ROM to it.

Many people choose to add the 1/8" jack on the bottom/left panel of the GB, and others prefer to replace the default jack instead. I did both.
    First I decided to see what I thought about the jack being ion the bottom/left side and then tried it in place of the default headphone jack. After thinking it over, I would never again use the old crappy jack Nintendo supplied in 1989, so I tore it out and placed my new one in its place.

The next step was connecting it to the audio source. Next to the sound volume control is a series of five pins. The first top two have no use to me, but the last three listed from bottom to top, are Ground, Left and Right. These correspond to the audio jack, and with about 5 inches of wire to each, they were soldered on. I had disabled the old audio output, including the old speaker which can be considered dead weight.

The new jack fit very tightly, but with a little filing, I was able to fit it perfectly. The last step was to close the shell, and try it out. But like I said before, it will only be higher quality mono sound, unless otherwise programmed. In spite of the fact, it sounded better than before! When I find an LSDJ or programmable cart, I can send sound to either left or right and lay down some heavy beats, while pulling some new shapes if you know what I mean.
    pic:
    Spoiler warning:
    You will notice the jack is metal rather than the black plastic from before. Compare to the Gameboy Pocket on top.
    Spoiler warning:

Even after my success, I didn't feel like my night was over. Following the closure of my DMG shell, I pulled it open another time, this time removing the main board. The front side of the main board holds many things, such as the screen, misc resistor, capacitors and such. I was more interested in the power monitoring LED.

It was rather easy to melt the joints and remove the old red LED, but getting the new one in wasn't so. After struggling a bit, I was finally able to place the proper leads of my new one in and close it up one final time!

I immediately powered it up, and behold! The old obsolete plastic brick was given new life, with a bright blue LED! (pic soon)
    pic:
    Spoiler warning:
    Gotta love Tetris, even though you cant see it through the super high output LED.
    Spoiler warning:

Afterward, I opened my black Gameboy pocket I weaseled out of my girlfriend and replaced its LED with the orange one I mentioned above. (pic soon)
    pics:
    Spoiler warning:
    Pardon the invisible tape, that happens to be my girlfriend's solution for a loose screen protector.
    Spoiler warning:

To anyone who managed to pay enough attention and finish reading that massive wall of text, Kudos! But also please feel free to post anything you have done, that falls into the filed of modification. Shit, I dont care, post a picture of your Golbat sticker on your GCN. Whatever.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 25th-August-2011 at 21:43.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

That LED is kinda overkill... Well maybe you can play in the dark now?

I replace my PS2's power supply the other day. Does that count? The sad bastard died sometime before Christmas. Works great now but the new power supply emits a high-frequency sound when the PS2 is in stand-by... Annoying!

Apart from that I've also replaced the connector in a NES and tried fixing a used Dreamcast I bought that had some troubles reading discs. I managed to completely destroy that Dreamcast and it now resides in DC heaven.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Overkill, maybe. But I absolutely had to replace it
    The red was soo last decade (x3)...

You mentioned playing in the dark, and actually I plan on doing just that. Not now at least, but when these are back in stock, Ill be adding a backlight. This mod requires I remove the power LED, but the color I choose will show through the hole as well.

Also may eventually Invert the display, i.e. Green on Black instead of the old black on green! See here, and here.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmarazz View Post
    Overkill, maybe. But I absolutely had to replace it
    The red was soo last decade (x3)...

You mentioned playing in the dark, and actually I plan on doing just that. Not now at least, but when these are back in stock, Ill be adding a backlight. This mod requires I remove the power LED, but the color I choose will show through the hole as well.

Also may eventually Invert the display, i.e. Green on Black instead of the old black on green! See here, and here.
    You should use a pulsating light to blind all your friends .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Update:
    This weekend I opened up an old CD drive and found a cmos chip that I need to make my reprogrammable GB cartridge. The very same dirve has several capicitors that may be usable in my video card project.
    Unfortunately I need a new soldering iron before I can progress becuase my other one is crap, and I also can't find a replacement tip that will fit.

As soon as I find one, Ill have new interesting pics to share.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Update:
    This weekend I opened up an old CD drive and found a cmos chip that I need to make my reprogrammable GB cartridge. The very same dirve has several capicitors that may be usable in my video card project.
    Unfortunately I need a new soldering iron before I can progress becuase my other one is crap, and I also can't find a replacement tip that will fit.

As soon as I find one, Ill have new interesting pics to share.
    I c what you did there.

And "may" is probably the key there.

Farads should be exact, and voltage should be high, just as a refresher.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I c what you did there.

And "may" is probably the key there.

Farads should be exact, and voltage should be high, just as a refresher.
    I still have more research to do to find out what room I have for different caps, but are you saying that the mf must be exact, but the voltage does not?

Thanks

I still have more research to do to find out what room I have for different caps, but are you saying that the mf must be exact, but the voltage does not?
    The uF (to lazy to find the real romanized F symbol...) rating needs to be very close... i.e. if it says 270uF, you need a 265-275uf or so capacitor.

The Voltage rating is essentially the maximum charge before the cap explodes, higher is better, if not more expensive.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The uF (to lazy to find the real romanized F symbol...) rating needs to be very close... i.e. if it says 270uF, you need a 265-275uf or so capacitor.

The Voltage rating is essentially the maximum charge before the cap explodes, higher is better, if not more expensive.
    In that case, I may not have to buy any replacements.
    After I study a bit, Ill read some of my usable caps.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Alright EP! Last night I stopped in to Radio Shack and found some inexpensive RCA ports
    Who can guess what that means?

Thats right, RCA modded GB + Internal Prosound!

I call it MGBlastoise
    Pics:
    Spoiler warning:

And Another:
    Spoiler warning:

Story:
    Spoiler warning:
    The story behind this little guy is that back in 97' or 98', My birthday came 'round and this is what I got. Yes, thats right; my first ever gameboy! :'D
    Soon after unwrapping it, I asked my father to pick up that game with the big red dragon on the front with money I got in cards, and the rest is history.

The name comes from the 2 large water pumps on its back and also the fact that its blue (clever eh?) Also MGB is the model for the pocket. Another interesting fact is that I got all 150 in Blue before I did in Red, so yeah. What do you think?
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 31st-March-2011 at 21:49.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have several mock-ups of paintings I want plan to do. The images you see below are made in PhotoShop, not actual paintings.
    What I plan on doing is making some stencils with about five layers of color and painting them onto some Gameboy Pockets. This will give it a more definite outcome, than if I did them by hand with all of the shades and details. Also, since the art from which I filtered these mockups were so drastically different, the five layer filter makes them all match style. I may sell them on ebay like some other custom paint jobs I have seen.

THIS TIME please tell me what you think about my post!

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

First one!

I would say:
    Spoiler warning:

Would buy all of them if you made them.
    (Except the Pikachu, not a Pikachu fan.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nice one, Ive done some decent modding in my time too my xbox being one of em (as I think I showed you on steam)

I Still got a GB Pocket sitting here collecting dust

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Nice one, Ive done some decent modding in my time too my xbox being one of em (as I think I showed you on steam)

I Still got a GB Pocket sitting here collecting dust
    Thats right, why don't you post the video you took of it in action?
    Also, we'll talk about your GB later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats right, why don't you post the video you took of it in action?
    Also, we'll talk about your GB later.
    You mean this one?

Well since this video i integrated Wireless receivers for 2 madcatz controllers and upped the hard drive to 120GB
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 4th-April-2011 at 18:11.