Thread: A few questions about jailbreaking a PS3

Thanks

Default A few questions about jailbreaking a PS3

I was poking around, and found a method to jailbreak that seems within my means of doing. This method here:

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ager-7.8-Guide

A few things come to mind when reading through the process of this. One, is there someway I can reverse my console being bricked? Is there some sort of recovery utility built in, or some way I could flash legitimate firmware to a bricked console?

Secondly, one of the links posted in that thread that points to the download of the CFW, has a list of serial numbers and the corresponding NANDs. It's stated to not work on 256MB NANDs, which I don't have. I have 16MB NAND Slim. I'd like to double check and make sure that's okay. I'm trying to be weary, as I'd really like to avoid bricking my console.

Thanks.

EDIT: The link I was referring to was actually a link on one of the linked pages, figured I'd add that in.
    http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/17/...ackup-support/

EDIT2: After doing more poking around, it seems it works on nearly all Slim PS3s, given proper installation, which brings up a new issue. After reading a large chunk of the comments on the latter of the two links above, it seems some people have a different CFW, Geohot's I believe, installed before putting the 3.55 OFW on, and it works great. Could someone with some knowledge of this let me know if it is required to have Geohot's CFW first?
    Last edited by Darkbred Chaos; 23rd-January-2011 at 05:03.

Thanks

I bought a Slim PS3 a few months back, and so I haven't spent a whole bunch of time around its FW yet. But from what I understand, Geohots JB is just that. A Jailbreak for 3.55, not a CFW. It allows the use of unsigned code/packages. However, most of what I have seen says to use the 3.55 JB first, then to install whatever CFW you are looking at. And yes while most of them work, there is always that freak accident that it could brick your console for whatever reason.

So my question to you, is which CFW are you looking to install, why, and is it worth the possible brick? The 3.55 JB works wonders for me as it allows me to use the Emulators to play my games. And as of yet I see no reason for myself to upgrade to something else.

Thanks

Right, theres always a chance however small that messing with a machines firmware could brick it so be aware of that. In general it should be ok to try it if you want. I just did it last night to my broken PS3 (disc drive does not work) and it all installed fine. I think, THINK there is something out there that may let you recover your console if it does brick, but i have not looked into it too much.

I only tried the SNES emulator which worked fine, before putting the broken PS3 back in the closet :p