Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE DREAMCAST COLLECTION - not exactly worth your time

Thanks
    EP Points

Default THE DREAMCAST COLLECTION - not exactly worth your time

Some time ago I heard the news that Sega was planning to release a Dreamcast Collection. I thought "oy, that's nice. Here's hoping they release games like Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and so on"

Then I came across this:
    http://www.destructoid.com/the-dream...c-191648.phtml

Oh good.

"The Dreamcast Collection features the games that have been released on Xbox Live Arcade, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, SEGA Bass Fishing, and Space Channel 5 Part 2."

Okay, Sonic Adventure - nice.
    Crazy Taxi - hear a lot of good things about it, so nice.
    Space Channel 5 Part 2 - it looks like the kind of game that's brilliant when on drugs and shit at any other time. I could be wrong though.
    SEGA Bass Fishing - ....yeah.

So, SEGA came up with the idea of re-releasing games (again), and what looked like a decent opportunity is turned into this. A re-release of the re-release of their games that have already been re-released on XBox Live Arcade.

What's the bloody POINT to this? Where are the ACTUAL good titles from the Dreamcast? Why can't they get 'round to releasing those?

I for one am bloody disappointed by this. I would be annoyed that it's not even coming to the PS3, but then, I wouldn't buy it anyway

Any thoughts on this matter? Do you agree? Disagree? Do you think I'm a pointless bastard because the thread already exists and I missed it (I checked, honest!)? No, it doesn't exist. I hope.

Discussion appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm rather passionate about this subject so be warned but ill address 1 game per post.

the collection consists of 4 games only 2 are worth the time really in my opinion

Space Channel 5 is a play once and forget title so I see it as being pointless
    Sega bass fishing isnt the same without the fishing controller...

Leaving 2 games left that interest me

The Arcade classic Crazy Taxi a great favorite of mine and Sonic Adventure.

Now the problem I have and really makes me doubt id buy the collection is this...

They MESSED up Crazy Taxi's music... No more Offspring and Bad Religeon but some other crap...

Now for me CT isnt CT without Some "YEA YEA YEA YEA!!" and "10 in 2010!!"

Examples:

Dreamcast Version:

XBLA Version

With the statement that the games are going to be based on the XBLA Versions this worry's me a lot.

I'll have to hold off to see if the Collection's version of Crazy Taxi has the REAL music or some Fake BS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just like you pointed out, the 2 purchase worthy games have been re-released on more accessible consoles. Besides that though is the fact that I own both of them on the DC originally. It would take less time to dust off my DC than to purchase and download these.

Are there any plans to add more titles to the list? I cant think of any off the top of my head, but there has to be a few worth buying again.

Thanks

crazy taxi isnt the same without punk/rock music
    wonder if its possible to add custom tracks or maybe replace the garbage tracks for orginal music **scratches chin**

would love to see shenmue released, but i seriously doubt it. only way to truely re-live them would be to buy a used console i guess
    not with this rubbish re-release BS

I am your usual forum loiterer...depleating bandwidth one post at a time.

If you download, don't forget to thank

Must keep kouen off the front page of PSP Uploads

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmarazz View Post
    Just like you pointed out, the 2 purchase worthy games have been re-released on more accessible consoles. Besides that though is the fact that I own both of them on the DC originally. It would take less time to dust off my DC than to purchase and download these.

Are there any plans to add more titles to the list? I cant think of any off the top of my head, but there has to be a few worth buying again.
    Well, like I said - games such as Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia both have fairly large and very dedicated fan followings. Those alone would sell a lot, especially since they aren't bloody well on the PlayStation Store/XBOX Store yet

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I Should think so Sega love to cash cow there older titles

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentPsycho View Post
    wonder if its possible to add custom tracks or maybe replace the garbage tracks for orginal music **scratches chin**

would love to see shenmue released, but i seriously doubt it. only way to truely re-live them would be to buy a used console i guess
    I Want to see Shenmue, House of the Dead, Zombie Revenge, Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Shuffle ect ect :'(

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

But are there any intentions of following up with better games?

Thanks
    EP Points

That's exactly the problem I have with the current situation. They're not re-releasing the old games, they're re-releasing the re-release of the re-release of the original release. Which has recently been re-released on the same system.

That sentence will make sense, just focus.

Nothing stated, but I think it's fairly likely they will. Unless they do want to strictly adhere to the games that have already been re-re-re-re-released.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They Haven't announced as such yet, I hear Sega expressed interest in possibly doing Shenmue

and you know Sonic Adventure 2 is inevitable

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    They Haven't announced as such yet, I hear Sega expressed interest in possibly doing Shenmue

and you know Sonic Adventure 2 is inevitable
    First they have to re-release it on XBox Live Arcade before they'll be willing to re-re-release it in a collection with other re-re-releases. (Maybe next one will feature SEGA Trout Fishing?)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lasharus View Post
    First they have to re-release it on XBox Live Arcade before they'll be willing to re-re-release it in a collection with other re-re-releases. (Maybe next one will feature SEGA Trout Fishing?)
    Or Seaman

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lasharus View Post
    That's exactly the problem I have with the current situation. They're not re-releasing the old games, they're re-releasing the re-release of the re-release of the original release. Which has recently been re-released on the same system.

That sentence will make sense, just focus.

They'll probably end up re-releasing these on the next gen consoles aswel...

I am your usual forum loiterer...depleating bandwidth one post at a time.

If you download, don't forget to thank

Must keep kouen off the front page of PSP Uploads

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They'll probably end up re-releasing these on the next gen consoles aswel...
    Why not they been Cash Cowing Sonic Since the dreamcast fell

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think they should take some of those DC hacks and release them as free promotional games. To both give the creators recognition, but also to show them that in the long run, the games are belong to them.

free = good, I though even Sega could figure that out.

Thanks
    EP Points

I tend to have this effect on people. I wonder why. Whatever I say is always to perfectly incomparably sensible, I dare say that the statements I posit at every turn are simply too complicated for the cognitive capabilities of my fellow homo sapiens.