Thread: epsxe 1.7 troubles....

Thanks
    EP Points

Default epsxe 1.7 troubles....

Well in short i'm trying to play the FF7 hard mode mod from here http://snesorama.us/board/archive/in...p/t-54433.html

The sound ends up skipping or being very slow and causing the entire game to lag. the epsxe SPU core 1.7.0 solves the problem but then(music is fine) a lot of sound effects seem out of whack in volume and just don't sound correct. I've tried just about every configuration i can think of so far the eternal SPU 1.50 plugin and 1.41 version of it. Also tried the Null2 1.3 driver to no avail.

I'm running windows XP 32 bit service pack 2, 2GB of ram. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX. Sound system is SB X-Fi Audio [CCEO]. A clean copy of the game runs great without any problems at all. Just running into this weirdo problem with the hard mode mod. I half wonder if its because its a pal iso.....I'll try to find it in NTSC if i can.
    EDIT
    nope only seeing pal version.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 8th-January-2011 at 03:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try playing it on 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 version, with all three Special game fix enabled on Eternal SPU Plugins.

Thanks
    EP Points

okay just tried it on 1.6, the game ends up running very fast just going into the intro screen using Pete's OpenGL 2.9 plugin, setting below Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    GFX card: GeForce 7900 GTX/PCI/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
    - 1024x768 Window mode
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 2
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off
    - No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 6
    - Hi-Res textures: 2
    - TexWin pixel shader: on
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: off
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: 50.0

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 1
    - Framebuffer effects: 3
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 1/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

Have not yet bothered to go in game to see how the sound is doing. These are normal settings that i use on all my psx games i emulate. Always worked perfectly.(FPS is adjusted down to 50 at the moment due to this game being PAL) Wanted to figure out why its running so damned fast first and get that fixed. I'll edit this post a bit later with 1.5.2 results(probably 10 or 15min)
    EDIT 1.5.2 also ends up running the game at hyper speeds just seeing the intro.
    FURTHER EDIT

okay now i see the problem, i'm too used to 1.7 where theres a automatic frame limiter thats toggled with F4 key. I had forgotten to check a box in the actual graphics plugin configuration. Now that thats done, i'll run some tests in game.
    MORE EDITING

okay SPU sound plugins still skip and run the sound slowly in both 1.5.2 and 1.6 just like on 1.7.
    EVEN MORE EDITING (Sorry)

okay bumped the fps back to 60 and on 1.6(1.50 sound plugin) The music now runs correctly. Sound effects are finally working properly as well. Extensive testing not yet complete, but results look quite nice so far. Game lags a bit when entering a fight(and for the first 1-3 seconds) and when running away from a fight. But outside of that things are running smoothly.

I've tried fiddling with several settings and even the special game fix for FF7 but nothing changes. Oh well its only a small irritation. I just hope it doesn't get worse with summon animations or something. Isn't a problem at all in 1.7.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 8th-January-2011 at 17:56.

Thanks
    EP Points

as one last final note, i'm going to see how the game runs(hard mod only) on psX. The hard mod runs OK on epsxe 1.6(read above posts edit notes) but i'm just seeing if psX can do better. I'll make a new topic for any problems i have with it.
    EDIT
    okay after testing psX i'm just going to stick to epsxe 1.6 for the hard mod and hope that things don't get worse for more complicated animations. If you're wondering what i mean, read my above edit notes, it'll take you all of 15 seconds unless you read slow.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 8th-January-2011 at 18:59.

Thanks
    EP Points

If the game runs too fast, just enable 'FPS Limit', and select 'Auto Detect FPS Limit' on your video plugin configuration.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah already did that, not running too fast now. Just minor lag going into fights(about 1-3 seconds of it) then the fights run at full speed after that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I guess that's normal then.

Thanks
    EP Points

i wouldn't call it normal, doesn't happen with a clean image of the game. The first few seconds of every fight feels like its running at 40fps before builing up to normal speed. But oh well it looks like the best i'm going to get for trying to run this hard mode mod.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 9th-January-2011 at 18:33.

Thanks

if you own a modded psx you could try running it on that. maybe that fixes your problem.

Thanks
    EP Points

nope, don't even own a psx.