Thread: A place for everything and everything in it's place.

Thanks

Default A place for everything and everything in it's place.

Since joining emuparadise I have noticed that the size of free space on my computer is diminishing at an alarming rate. I thought maybe the folks at the paradise could fill me in on how they store there games.

I have a USB that holds all my zipped emulators and roms. It would be great to hear that I could play the roms right from the USB.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Either burn stuff to CDs/DVDs, or purchase a larger hard drive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Drageuth For This Useful Post:

pow

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Same here. I've three physical drives for 3.5 terabytes total space right now to hold what I have. Admittedly, it's only filled by 1.5 terabytes of anime, another 600 GB of normal computer stuff, and less than 30 GB of emulation materials that's occupying it, but the principle holds, right?

Oh, and yes, you can play certain emulators straight from USB sticks, but not if they're zipped. Typically consoles with lower hardware requirements are better, especially with less file reads, and you'll probably want USB 2.0 or Firewire rather than the slower 1.0, but most computers nowadays have at least a few 2.0 or Firewire ports, or both.
    Last edited by Mistral; 8th-January-2011 at 05:35.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistral For This Useful Post:

pow

Thanks

I have been thinking of buying a laptop just for gaming. The idea of all this gaming on a portable platform would kick major ass.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by pow View Post
    I have been thinking of buying a laptop just for gaming. The idea of all this gaming on a portable platform would kick major ass.
    The idea of a Laptop powerful enough to run most games would kick major ass as well. The thing is, a desktop is just more powerful.
    By no means am I saying a laptop cant run high end games, just that, an ordinary price conscious laptop cannot.

Or at least in my case...*sigh*

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pow View Post
    It's definitely possible to get a laptop good enough for gaming, but it's going to run you at least $1000-$1500 but it all depends which emulators/games you will run as some aren't demanding as others are. You might also consider building using a 'barebones' laptop as the basis for the project. Find out what the emulator or game's system requirements are that you will most likely be playing, and you can figure out what you need to get based on that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

And don't just be thinking about the stuff that you currently emulate, keep in mind that you want to take a crack at PS2 or Gamecube emulation as well, which are very demanding. Even if you don't use them now, you might in the future and you won't want to have to purchase an entirely new laptop just for that.

Thanks

All good points. The desktop seems the best rout. The option to upgrade the PC for future emulation is something I did not think about.