Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 hacked

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

Wait till they stop selling ps3 stuff I guess. Abandonware is never pursued where the law is concerned. If that is too long of a wait, at least wait till their next major system comes out. The focus will be on the new system and less so on the old, so it will be much easier to slip under the radar and use burned games or download them.

Thanks
    EP Points

i tend to only grab older not produced games anyway

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Pretty much all homebrew ultimately sucks after a little while, so the guys at fail0verflow are full of shit. They want to pirates games as much as the next guy...they just have to say they're against it because they're the ones who can be blamed. It implies nobility where there is none.
    Two of the members of failOverflow were the same people who discovered the Twilight hack and wrote and The Homebrew Channel for the Wii. They are widely known for ranting against piracy and went out of their way to disrespect people like Waninkoko for releasing USB backup loaders. They also tried to contact Nintendo when they found the exploit but Nintendo never listened.

Where they are full of shit is when they said they only had interest in hacking the PS3 because OtherOS was removed, that it pissed off hackers. It was removed because George Hotz hacked the hypervisor. Of course Sony would respond. They hack as an intellectual challenge. George Hotz released the key using failOverflows work because the guy spent so long trying to hack the thing, he wanted a claim of the fame I think.

Thanks
    EP Points

bah, homebrew usually sucks ass anyway

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    bah, homebrew usually sucks ass anyway
    I beg to differ, though I am not going to bother wasting my time in this thread repeating myself on the subject.

Thanks
    EP Points

i said USUALLY

Thanks
    EP Points

well, it seems sony has tried to plant evidence on him, by donating $1 to him, and saying "look, he took out $1 via paypal, he is hacking us just for the $" but he's not. that was just he donation box, on youtwitface or whatever he had, so it wasn't specifically for donate money and i'll hack your ps3 type fund.

the judge said she can't rule on this case just yet, since sony is in Californian and the hackers are elsewhere, so she doesn't know which trough the case should be on.

it should be interesting on how it plays out

Thanks

man all my ps3 games gonna cost less now

Thanks

so, now that the system has been hacked. I'm wondering if Emuparadise is gonna start hosting ps3 iso files here or torrents.

Also an updated list of the system models that are relatively safe to hack can be found here : http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/17/...ackup-support/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_690 View Post
    so, now that the system has been hacked. I'm wondering if Emuparadise is gonna start hosting ps3 iso files here or torrents.

Also an updated list of the system models that are relatively safe to hack can be found here : http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/17/...ackup-support/
    There are far better solutions than Waninkoko's firmware. He was pretty nutters to ever think hard-patching LV2 was a good idea.. Much safer to get something like kmeaw's firmware and a backup launcher like MultiMan.

Thanks

I'd actually wager that Waninkoko's idea was probably the better path (eventually).

I mean, frankly, I'd love an overhauled firmware. Specifically one that could work on making XMB not suck, as Sony seems to not mind how terrible it is.

As for abandonware... yeah, PS2 still isn't considered this, since sony still offers support and produces stuff for the console. Simply put, it isn't abandonware until it's... well, abandoned. Which for the PS3, wont be for a very long time.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I'm wondering if Emuparadise is gonna start hosting ps3 iso files here
    Yes eventually, but it'll be like the Wii/360 forums and require contributions or a large number of posts to enter.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Eventually is the key word. Despite warnings from other developers he went ahead and patched LV2 - which resulted in BRICKING a good number of consoles needlessly. Several hundred dollars for lord only knows how many people flushed down the drain because of his own mistake, and because he ignored the concerns of other devs in the scene. Do I think an ideal CFW can be created eventually? Yeah. Do I think he should have rushed to releasing something that everyone reputable in the scene said was a BAD idea? Absolutely not.

It's FAR safer to soft-patch LV2 than to try and hard-patch it via Firmware. You're crazy if you're willing to risk bricking your console with his firmware as opposed to using a soft-patch that has no risks at all by comparison.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Yes eventually, but it'll be like the Wii/360 forums and require contributions or a large number of posts to enter.
    for the meantime, is it against the rules to ask if there are any decent sites that do have ps3 isos?

and to Krisan's post, yea one of my ps3s was a victim and it got fully bricked. but I don't blame waninkoko because I knew there where risks when installing it and made the decision to go through with it anyways. I think it's pretty pointless to blame him, because while, yes his method may not be the best, he still never forced anyone to try it.

Thanks

and to Krisan's post, yea one of my ps3s was a victim and it got fully bricked. but I don't blame waninkoko because I knew there where risks when installing it and made the decision to go through with it anyways. I think it's pretty pointless to blame him, because while, yes his method may not be the best, he still never forced anyone to try it.
    You don't seem to understand. It's not that his method wasn't "the best" or anything like that. Other people on the scene specifically said it was a very bad idea to patch LV2 via firmware, that there was a high risk of bricking consoles. He knew this but did it anyway, and released it publicly thinking he somehow made it safe - it wasn't until after a lot of PS3's got bricked that he realized his errors and tagged his firmware with a warning of its dangers or bothered to research which consoles it bricked and which it didn't. The enduser plays a part in bricking their own machine, definitely.. In your case as you said, you knew the risks, but he as a developer is not exempt from blame either. Especially not when he should have known better.

This isn't a case where he tried something new and made a mistake, and no one had any idea there would be any risk involved at all. This is a case where everyone else on the scene knew what would happen if someone tried to patch LV2, and he did it anyway.
    Last edited by Krisan Thyme; 24th-January-2011 at 00:58.