Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 Modding Discussion (Jailbreak, CFW, etc.)

Thanks
    EP Points

None of them support piracy... It won't take long before someone sorts out a manager that'll run on 3.55, but will it require a JB dongle?

Thanks
    EP Points

if its signed and installed then no, no dongle needed. That's the whole thing, well im sure the makers of the managers don't give a shit since they made the managers in the first place.
    I am so ninja, I fart in your cereal while you are still eating it.

Hax'd:
    PS3 Slim OFW
    PS4 OFW
    Nintendo Wii U 32GB Black Premium

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    if its signed and installed then no, no dongle needed. That's the whole thing, well im sure the makers of the managers don't give a shit since they made the managers in the first place.
    Good, I don't want to have to use my phone to run the manager.

But if it doesn't work on PSN I'm not interested in it either way.

Thanks
    EP Points

Its basically OFW with signed managers that work under it, hell we could even get on PSN with older versions.

Hax'd:
    PS3 Slim OFW
    PS4 OFW

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cool Notorious iPhone Hacker Posts PS3 Master Key Online

Hacker dumps a security nightmare into Sony's lap, then uses the opportunity to try to find himself employment.

George "GeoHot" Hotz, who gained notoriety for his iPhone jailbreaks as well as his PS3 jailbreak from early last year, has posted what he claims to be the PS3's root key on his website. This key will give people the ability to sign their own homebrew software, and have the PS3 think that it's genuine.

In a very short post, Hotz thanked the fail0verflow hacker team, who gave a presentation about the PS3's security system just last week, for their assistance with the asymmetric part of the key. As proof that the key was genuine, he offered a "Hello World" program, a common exercise when you're starting out writing code, and thanked the people behind the open-source PS3 hombrew SDK, PSLight, who had made it possible for him to release it.

It's believed, although not confirmed, that Sony will have trouble changing this key without rendering a lot of PS3 software inoperable. If this is true, then there may be nothing that Sony can do to prevent people running their own homebrew software, or playing pirated games. Hotz made it clear that he didn't condone piracy, however, and hoped that people would use the key responsibly. He also offered his services to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft in making their next consoles secure, saying that it would be interesting to be on the other side of the fence.

Of course, the problem is that while Hotz might not condone piracy, there are plenty of others out there who have absolutely no problems with it at all. I don't know whether Hotz is genuinely hoping that people won't abuse the key, or whether he'd just trying to cover his own back, but either way, he's much easier for a lot of would-be pirates

Source: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kouen Hasuki For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Unbelievable! Many thanks

I am your usual forum loiterer...depleating bandwidth one post at a time.

If you download, don't forget to thank

Must keep kouen off the front page of PSP Uploads

Thanks

So what does this mean exactly? That I can simply apply a patch to a piece of homebrew software and it will play on and unmodded PS3 because the console thinks it's a legit game?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Its basically OFW with signed managers that work under it, hell we could even get on PSN with older versions.
    Personally I still think CFW is a better route to go. In other news, Geohot is still a prick. It's a shame that everyone can't just admit that the primary goal of hacking a console is piracy.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 4th-January-2011 at 16:50.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    So what does this mean exactly? That I can simply apply a patch to a piece of homebrew software and it will play on and unmodded PS3 because the console thinks it's a legit game?
    Yea, long story short you could sign any PS3 Software and the PS3 will think its legit

Thanks
    EP Points

whatever it is they should hurry it up instead of making these ridiculous slef makers packers unpackers of which we already have one, god its reminding me of the huge amount of managers.

Hax'd:
    PS3 Slim OFW
    PS4 OFW

Thanks

Longer story short: Custom Firmware.

Thanks
    EP Points

There's already a discussion going on in this thread about this kind of thing:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=53163

Thanks
    EP Points

PS3 CFW boys.

PS3: First ‘Custom Firmware’ now working!
    Great news!

Thanks to the tools made by the fail0verflow team (and thanks to sven in particular for his work on the pkg/unpkg tools), the first “Custom Firmware” is now available for the PS3!

I see a lot of questions coming up really fast on my Twitter account, so here are the basic things you need to know :

Because of legal/copyright issues, I will not provide the custom firmware to anyone, however, I’ve made available all the tools necessary to transform an Official firmware update, into a custom one, just grab my ps3utils repository from github, compile, then run :
    ./create_cfw.sh PS3UPDATE.PUP CFW.PUP

This will take the official firmware, unpack it, modify it, then repack it correctly (requires you to install ps3tools).
    This requires Linux of course, but I’m sure others will do it for the masses and illegally release those files somewhere.

The advantage here is that you can do it for any firmware, if you want to keep version 3.41, then give it the 3.41 update, if you are on 3.55 already and can’t downgrade, then run the script on the official 3.55 firmware and it will create a modified 3.55 firmware.

You can put the file in a USB drive under the filename “PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP” and then go to system update in the XMB, and it will allow you to install the update (even if you’re already on 3.55).

People are asking what are the features of this firmware, it’s simple, all it does is to add those “Install Package Files” options to the Game section of the XMB. It doesn’t do anything else!

This firmware will not allow you to run the currently available homebrew application. Once the homebrew developers re-package their files in a ‘retail’ .pkg format with signed executable, then it will work (this should be coming soon thanks to the work of the fail0verflow team).

Since the kernel is left unmodified, this means that this custom firmware is really meant for future homebrew installation, and it will not allow piracy. I plan on keeping it that way.

This is just the first attempt at custom firmware, and it only contains a minor modification to allow you to install pkg files directly, eventually we’ll get some more options added to it in the future. This is just starting to get interesting!

p.s: Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

Enjoy!
    KaKaRoTo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    There's already a discussion going on in this thread about this kind of thing:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=53163
    That link is dead on my end.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragoon View Post
    That link is dead on my end.
    Yep, it goes nowhere.
    I suspect that 2 threads may have been merged.........but I have no idea really

Spoiler warning: