Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Modding Discussion (Jailbreak, CFW, etc.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by guatemala View Post
    i'm going to buy a ps3 soon, and want to play homebrews so i was wondering if i should get a new ps3 (250gb)or a fatty(60-80 gb) from gamestop the price is about the same, but i will like to know which one will be easier to install CFW.

difference i could notice

Ethernet: (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) fat
    backward compatible with ps2 games

HDMI output for 1080p resolution -- slim
    You get that on any PS3. Anyway, get the fat if you want to play PS1/2 games on it. So long as the firmware is 3.55 or lower you should be good to go for CFW. I don't think they've introduced any new models yet, I saw something about them planning to, but like I said, I don't think they have yet.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

thanks, i wanted to play my ps2 and ps1 game. there is no way to play ps2 game on slims?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guatemala View Post
    thanks, i wanted to play my ps2 and ps1 game. there is no way to play ps2 game on slims?
    At the moment, I don't think so. Maybe theres a linux PS2 emu that could run on the PS3? No idea. I'm pretty sure all PS3's can play PS1 games though.
    "Isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all of you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh oooh oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by |Crono| View Post
    At the moment, I don't think so. Maybe theres a linux PS2 emu that could run on the PS3? No idea. I'm pretty sure all PS3's can play PS1 games though.
    It's software based emulation for PS2 games on the slims. I don't have a slim so I don't really know how playing PS1/2 games works aside from what I've read. If all the homebrew developers would stop trying to ram their way into the PSN we might see some more development on emulators :\.

Thanks

thanks guys, will ask more questions once i get my ps3. atm doing some reading in forums about Cfws

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey guys, I recently came into some money and I'm thinking about using it to get back on track in terms of modding my consoles. I'm very interested in setting my PS3 up to play backups, but I'm pretty clueless about the whole thing and most technical talk goes way over my head. I tried looking for help on other forums but most people chase me away for not reading FAQs that I barely understand.

Anyway, hoping you can help. Lemme start with the main question:

I have an older PS3, probably from the first year of their release (maybe the 2nd). I haven't done anything online with it in about 2 years. Will I be able to play backups?

If so, and please bear with me, how do I do it? So far all I've managed to gather is that I'll need a USB cable, an external HDD that uses USB 2.0, and a PS3 game. I have -zero- clue how to actually put the CFW on the console. So.. please help?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    EP Points

You need to upgrade to 3.55 OFW then to 3.55 Kmeaw.

To upgrade the firmware do NOT connect to PSN. You can get the right OFW files from the internet, as well as the CFW files, they can be installed over USB AFAIK.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    You need to upgrade to 3.55 OFW then to 3.55 Kmeaw.

To upgrade the firmware do NOT connect to PSN. You can get the right OFW files from the internet, as well as the CFW files, they can be installed over USB AFAIK.
    Any chance you could point me in the direction of these? =P And, I'm assuming once I get the CFW installed the basic steps afterwords are:

1. Download game.
    2. Transfer game to external HDD
    3. Transfer game from HDD to PS3
    4. Profit

Am I correct? =O

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcasa View Post
    Any chance you could point me in the direction of these? =P And, I'm assuming once I get the CFW installed the basic steps afterwords are:

1. Download game.
    2. Transfer game to external HDD
    3. Transfer game from HDD to PS3
    4. Profit

Am I correct? =O
    You could also play from the external, or FTP the games to the PS3. Multiman is the most featured, and useful of the backup managers.

Thanks
    EP Points

OtherOS is back for those interested...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ystation-3.ars

Quote:
    It all began when a young man named George Hotz began to work on the PlayStation 3, trying to gain access to the machine in a way that made Sony uncomfortable. In response,Sony removed the OtherOS functionality of the PlayStation 3 in a mandatory update, and the hacking community was not happy with this decision, resulting in a sort of cold war. PS3 hackers have once again gained the upper hand: Linux has been returned to the PlayStation 3.

There are a few limitations in terms of the models you can use to access this new custom firmware, but now you'll be able to use Linux with the full support of the hardware, without Sony setting up arbitrary barriers. Here are the features supported:

* Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
    * OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
    * Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
    * Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
    * Linux with GameOS rights
    * Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
    * Full access to all System Manager services
    * Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils).
    * This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
    * Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
    * Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
    * Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
    * Support for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.

Enabling Linux support is not an easy process, and it's certainly not optimized for people who aren't already well-versed in this sort of thing, but it's out, it's freely available, and it improves on the original implementation of the OtherOS functionality.

Sony is still bleeding from its wounds, and this is just twisting the knife in a little deeper. A quote at the top of the page, directed at Sony, sums it up: "My hardware, my rules. I brought back what you took away."

Thanks
    EP Points

Downgrading. So I can go down below 3.60?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Downgrading. So I can go down below 3.60?
    wat? It'll require a console with 3.55 CFW to run, 3.60 uses different keys which no one knows, so it's unlikely it'll ever be downgradeable. You just have to hope the 3.60 keys leak. And personally, I hope they don't leak as this whole situation is a mess.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    wat? It'll require a console with 3.55 CFW to run, 3.60 uses different keys which no one knows, so it's unlikely it'll ever be downgradeable. You just have to hope the 3.60 keys leak. And personally, I hope they don't leak as this whole situation is a mess.
    I dislike the whole PS3 modding scene because people always post shit in technical-speak, and I have no idea what they are talking about. Pretty much all of your post.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Everybody needs to stop complaining about the credit cards now.
    http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...otection-more/

Thanks
    EP Points

Unstuck this thread as it seems to have died down now.