Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Don't care, the cup is in the U.S.
    And will be hitting 17 Canadian cities in its tour, as well as Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Germany.
    Still, congrats to Boston. Great series, and they definitely earned it. They set two NHL records that I know of in the Vancouver v. Boston series (fastest four goals ever scored in a Playoff final game, at four minutes and fourteen seconds, and only team to ever win three Game 7s to win the Cup). Zdeno Chara probably holds the record for tallest captain to ever hoist the Cup as well.

It was a good series. There are a lot of hungover Canucks fans walking around today, having drowned their brains in alcohol to try and numb the pain.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

USA USA USA! Oh wait we still suck at international football?

Thanks

Nah, you don't at least you're testing yourselves against great teams in friendly matches. We get New Zealand, Congo and god knows what else. At least if you're getting beaten you're actually learning something than overkilling teams that don't even have a domestic league.

Bradley had his team all over the place, and couldn't keep the 2-0 advantage and I'll be honest with you, he could have netted more goals if Mexico surrendered and had tried to defend against the US attack. But in the bright side, goddamn, they've got some killer precision, they had little chances to score but either they converted into goals, or they were really dangerous, that hit in the woodwork was just unlucky. Mexico attacked several times and only netted four goals, the same chances you've got and those were pretty damn close. It was a very good match for the USA, and I can see them advancing into Quarter or Semifinals in the World Cup one day, just drop Freddy Adu. That guy has been a 'promise' and the 'next Pele' and well, duh.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm actually a German fan so I don't care too much. Just had a big laugh at that game.

But yeah, giving up a 2-0 lead is rough.

Adu is dead weight.

I'm excited for the Copa America and then Euro next year.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So it's a good thing that Argentina isn't having an embarrassing run as hosts of Copa America.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    So it's a good thing that Argentina isn't having an embarrassing run as hosts of Copa America.
    Indeed, they are quite good. And Messi sure is the best of them all, so resolutive

Thanks

You know, many people might not remember it, but Pekerman really made Argentina play well in 2006. They moved together as a team, (just remember the goal against Serbia, I doubt that this Argentina can string two passes together) and I'm pretty sure they would have gotten really far if it wasn't because of that genius move of telling Lehmann where the Argentinian guys would shoot, but Maradona's Argentina and specially this one, are just a disaster, I get the feeling that Batista just called up guys left and right from the top ratings of FIFA11 and being Argentinian or something.

Then, there's Uruguay, many people didn't gave two shits for them before SA2010 and you see how far they went, they were unlucky for losing against the worst Netherlands ever but that match against Germany for the third place was just delightful (I'm sorry, but to me that was the real World Cup final, not Spain vs Netherlands, not because they played awfully, only Netherlands did that. ) and they have less 'stars' than Argentina and Brasil, but they play like a team, you can see they have an idea of where their partners are, which position everyone plays and so on. Aguero's goal against Bolivia was just beautiful, but you gotta admit that it was a deflected ball from a teammate rather tan a pass, and I agree with Elin about Uruguay having a crack to win the tournament, Brazil isn't playing that well at all. :/

Oh, and Gypsy asked about Mexico. Fuck them. Thanks to CONCACAF they're forced to use a Sub-23 squad rather than bringing all the weapons like the rest of the teams in there, along with Costa Rica.

I know that the Gold Cup just ended and you couldn't have the same team in there, but it would have been a better squad if they didn't bow to their CONCACAF overlords (corrupted sons of bitches) and do as they say, not to mention that the Mexican Federation keeps on shaming themselves by MAKING EVERYTHING PUBLIC and not solving anything, prostitutes that, contaminated meat this, they clearly have no idea how to manage the team, I'm not saying that they should keep everything in the dark, but they clearly need to advertise the team or something, because for a while here that was the relevant topic about the Mexican squad, not about their players or anything, but that.

And to end the wall o' text, Mexico Sub-17 (see, I still support my national squads when they actually play or they show a desire of playing for Mexico) will be facing Germany today in the Semifinals, both teams are undefeated right now, and I'm pretty sure that the champion will come out from this match, since Brazil Squad is really weak and Uruguay might give a good final, but hardly winning it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by fer
    I doubt that this Argentina can string two passes together
    It's really ridiculous, they should be so much better.

Then, there's Uruguay, many people didn't gave two shits for them before SA2010 and you see how far they went,
    Diego Forlan was the only guy not complaining about the damn soccer ball all tournament long and was actually quite good on free kicks. Shocking.

but that match against Germany for the third place was just delightful (I'm sorry, but to me that was the real World Cup final, not Spain vs Netherlands,
    <3 <3 <3 <3

Yes. I still submit that the Germany Spain match would've been at least a bit different w/o that bogus ban for Muller. 3rd place game was fantastic, while in the final players were too busy shitting their pants to score goals on easy opportunities.

and I agree with Elin about Uruguay having a crack to win the tournament, Brazil isn't playing that well at all.
    I'm cheering for Paraguay.

Thanks to CONCACAF they're forced to use a Sub-23 squad rather than bringing all the weapons like the rest of the teams in there, along with Costa Rica.
    Sounds like bullshit.

I honestly think Mexico with all their top players could and should be a top 16 in the world squad.

And to end the wall o' text, Mexico Sub-17 (see, I still support my national squads when they actually play or they show a desire of playing for Mexico) will be facing Germany today in the Semifinals, both teams are undefeated right now, and I'm pretty sure that the champion will come out from this match, since Brazil Squad is really weak and Uruguay might give a good final, but hardly winning it.
    Should be fantastic. Pulling for Germany ofc. My only true allegiance really, after that it's just cheering against teams I dislike or pulling for lulz results.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, 2006 Argentina were actually fantastic. I still think they would have gone on to win the tournament had Riquelme not been subbed against Germany. Unfortunately the team was essentially built around him, and they looked absolutely legless once he was taken off. Hint to the manager: subbing a player you've built your entire style of play around? Not such a good idea. Shame they've been craptacular since then. :/ I really do think Messi is the best player in the world at club level, as well as one of the best I've ever seen for any club, but I've never seen him perform for his country. And while some of the blame for that can be placed on him being put into a team that play like a bunch of strangers (and him not being deployed nearly far forward enough, as far as I can see), some of it's got to rest with him too. The best players perform regardless of who they've got playing with them. Look at Zizou in 2006. He was basically a one man team, and just about led a below par France squad to the title.

Anyway, go Uruguay! It's amazing how much your star players turning up and actually playing well can do to lift your team. Suarez and Forlan look like they've simply picked up where the World Cup left off. Lodeiro looks a quality player too. Can definitely see why Ajax brought him to Europe. Though to be honest, even if I didn't like their players I'd still be rooting for them because they're actually playing good football, which seems a challenge too great for most of the other teams in the tournament so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah Lodeiro could be a real quality player. Uruguay definitely have to be the favourites right now considering how Brazil and Argentina are playing. Still I'm pulling for Paraguay all the way. Roque Santa Cruz, so manly.

Also...sadface @ u-17 world cup. Good match though.

Thanks

The best players perform regardless of who they've got playing with them. Look at Zizou in 2006. He was basically a one man team, and just about led a below par France squad to the title.
    If it weren't for Zidane everyone would remember how meh Henry was with the French shirt, even Trezeguet was more valuable in the French team, but Zidane is God anyway, so it's okay.

Today's Mexico victory was just epic. See, I hate on players who don't feel the national shirt (I'm looking at you Marquez) and they feel that just because they play in Europe they're the big shit in the team, guess what, no. This wasn't the case with the Sub-17 guys, they play with heart and don't fall to pressure even though they're playing at home. I thought that Gomez wouldn't return to the pitch after that strong strike to the head. But that bicycle kick and scoring from the corner kick? Only that could take Germany down, those guys are beasts. o_0 Samed Yesil will either score a big contract in Leverkusen, or will go to another team, he's an incredible striker, but for now, I'm now hoping that they take down on Uruguay, who beat the worst Brazilian squad I have ever seen in my years of watching football, what the hell is happening to Brazil? The last awesome I remember was the 2002 one with Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Gilberto Silva? Those guys were unbeatable, something is just wrong with their football overall, and it's pretty sad to see a lackluster Brazil. ):

Still, I can totally see Uruguay being the best team in CONMEBOL right now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well if there's one thing I can be proud of America for, it's beating down on other countries in American football with total scrubs.

http://www.facebook.com/IFAF.org?sk=wall

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well if there's one thing I can be proud of America for, it's beating down on other countries in American football with total scrubs.

Imagine how much more one-sided it would be if we used real players .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Haha, jeez, that's like Australia, India, England or one of the other cricket powerhouses playing against pretty much any other nation in the world. It's like...yeah you're the best, but only because hardly anyone else actually plays the damn game. :'D

Fer: Mexico have had quite a few good youth teams over the years, haven't they? Hopefully this one keeps their feet on the ground and blossoms into a really good A team. Any players in particular that you think will be storming Europe in the next four or five years?

Thanks

Yeah, but once they reach the first division they become spoiled kids who still think they're the gods of Olympus. See Vela, that guy had a big chance of becoming a great player with Arsenal, but his playboy attitudes, and that kind of shit, turned him into a meh striker, even Giovani Dos Santos had a rough patch after everyone considered him the next Ronaldinho. I guess he would be in a better position if he hadn't landed in Tottenham, he's having a big comeback ever since he signed with Racing and I'm depositing lots of hope on him, more after that awesome goal against the US.

There are rumours that some Italian teams are looking for a pre-contract with some of the kids, which to me is good, because if they don't play our league, the better for them. Giovani Casillas, Carlos Fierro and the new national hero, Julio Gomez have great abilities, humility and they shouldn't be spoiled since they've got a lot of future on their hands. See the last Sub-17 team, only Giovani, Efrain Juarez and Hector Moreno made it out okay of that team, the rest debuted with their senior teams and well...they're still in there. Also, Javi Hernandez wasn't called up to the Sub-17 team because the coach thought he wasn't good enough for the team.

There's another player in Pumas UNAM, Javier Cortés, his gameplay has skyrocketed in the last few years and I'm amazed he wasn't called for Copa America (he's 21 years old, scored a fucking awesome goal in the last final and had a spectacular performance in the playoffs, but no, call a burned-out 27 year old striker who hardly scores and only Jesus knows why he was called). The work with the Sub-17's is good, but the best thing that can happen to them is to never play in the top league of Mexico. It would be very bad to see a lot of talent going to waste, except the goalkeeper, he could easily pass up as an English keeper, he has to work hard.