Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I highly doubt it, as well. This series is going to Game #7. Which will just make the victory more sweet, since the Cup will be hoisted on home ice.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's been a long time for a Canadian team right? The US coverage hasn't really been focusing on this so I can't remember. I think it was the early 90s though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    It's been a long time for a Canadian team right? The US coverage hasn't really been focusing on this so I can't remember. I think it was the early 90s though.
    Wow, didn't even notice this post here.

Anyways, yeah. It's been... 18 years, I think. 1993, pretty sure it was the Canadiens who won it.

Also, 4 goals for Boston in a span of 4:14. They pulled Luongo eight minutes into the first period, after he let in 3 goals. Schneider is in net now.

Something tells me this is coming back to Vancouver on Wednesday.

[ edit ] Also, this is a message to everyone on Facebook who has never watched hockey before, don't really enjoy hockey, and are only watching right now because they might win the Cup tonight: IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOCKEY AT ALL, DON'T COMMENT ON PLAYS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! For the love of fuck.

[ edit ii ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth
    Anyways, yeah. It's been... 18 years, I think. 1993, pretty sure it was the Canadiens who won it.
    A little expansion on this statement... it's not for lack of trying on the part of the Canadian teams have been, however.

Vancouver lost to the Rangers in 1994.
    Calgary lost to Tampa in 2004.
    Oilers lost to Carolina ( ) in 2006.
    Ottawa lost to Anaheim in 2007.

Also, there are seventeen players for both the Canucks and Bruins who are Canadian players. Out of 32 and 26 players (including reserves), respectively.

[ edit iii ]

Also, with Boston scoring four goals in four minutes and fourteen seconds, they set an NHL record for fastest four goals scored in a Stanley Cup Final series.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 14th-June-2011 at 02:26.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    [ edit ii ]

A little expansion on this statement... it's not for lack of trying on the part of the Canadian teams have been, however.

Vancouver lost to the Rangers in 1994.
    Ottawa lost to Anaheim in 2007.

Also, there are seventeen players for both the Canucks and Bruins who are Canadian players. Out of 32 and 26 players (including reserves), respectively.

[ edit iii ]

Also, with Boston scoring four goals in four minutes and fourteen seconds, they set an NHL record for fastest four goals scored in a Stanley Cup Final series.
    First of all, what a crazy blowout. Schneider for game seven!

Oh and we will have another team captained by a euro winning the cup again. Glad that idiots will be able to get over euros being "soft" as if it wasn't dispelled by Lidstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by drag
    Flames suck.

Oilers too.

This makes a lot of sense really. All the young Americans and Canadians go through the minors or go to college where as a lot of the euros play in euro leagues first so the young players will be American and Canadian for the most part. Oh and Canadians have nothing to do but learn hockey so yeah.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

First of all, what a crazy blowout. Schneider for game seven!

Oh and we will have another team captained by a euro winning the cup again. Glad that idiots will be able to get over euros being "soft" as if it wasn't dispelled by Lidstrom.
    Yeah, the Europeans have a lot of really great players. Really, when you look at some of the top players in the league right now -- or even over the last few years -- a lot of them have been European. Sedins included. (Who should be playing a lot better than they are right now. )

Flames suck.
    True.

Oilers too.
    I will make you bleed from your eye sockets, boy.
    Oilers for 2011-2012 Stanley Cup Champions.

This makes a lot of sense really. All the young Americans and Canadians go through the minors or go to college where as a lot of the euros play in euro leagues first so the young players will be American and Canadian for the most part. Oh and Canadians have nothing to do but learn hockey so yeah.
    Pretty much, yeah. Also, hockey is the big sport up here. There isn't a single major league basketball team, there's only one baseball team (Toronto Blue Jays. And, you know... they just scream awesome with that name), we have the CFL which, while popular enough (I guess ), only has like, seven teams in it. And then... hockey. We have a lot of great teams up here, between the NHL, AHL, WHL... really, all the HLs... and it's the one sport that we are known for playing really, really well. A lot of the greatest players in the game have come from Canada, and it's really the one sport that you know you could potentially make a living at in Canada. I don't know too many people who grow up here with aspirations of playing in the MLB one day, and not too many who dream about the NBA either. It's NHL or bust.

I mean, c'mon... when you spawn greats like Guy Lafleur, Dominik Hasek, Gordie Howe, "The Rocket" Richard, Bobby Orr, Mark Messier, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Patrick Roy... you've gotta give us some props.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

True.
    So very true.

I will make you bleed from your eye sockets, boy.
    Oilers for 2011-2012 Stanley Cup Champions.
    If it happens I'll buy you a video game. Your choice. Value has to be $50 or less.

Pretty much, yeah. Also, hockey is the big sport up here. There isn't a single major league basketball team, there's only one baseball team (Toronto Blue Jays. And, you know... they just scream awesome with that name), we have the CFL which, while popular enough (I guess ), only has like, seven teams in it. And then... hockey. We have a lot of great teams up here, between the NHL, AHL, WHL... really, all the HLs... and it's the one sport that we are known for playing really, really well. A lot of the greatest players in the game have come from Canada, and it's really the one sport that you know you could potentially make a living at in Canada. I don't know too many people who grow up here with aspirations of playing in the MLB one day, and not too many who dream about the NBA either. It's NHL or bust.

I mean, c'mon... when you spawn greats like Guy Lafleur, Dominik Hasek, Gordie Howe, "The Rocket" Richard, Bobby Orr, Mark Messier, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Patrick Roy... you've gotta give us some props.
    lol @ the CFL

Pretty pro list right there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The only people who care about the CFL are Canadians who live in a city where there is a team, and John Grisham.
    Seriously. That's it.

Also, predictions for Game #7?
    I'm thinking it's gonna be Canucks, but it's gonna go to overtime. Final score will be 2-1.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think the Canucks will win, assuming Luongo doesn't shit his pants.

Thanks

Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Solbadude View Post
    Vancouver itself is a great city.
    The hockey team needs to be a bit more consistent, though.
    And the fans are pretty retarded.
    Think extreme Final Fantasy fanboys, and you've got Canucks fans.
    Either that, or people who don't watch a single game through the regular season, and then think they know anything about hockey when they only watch the SCF.

[ edit ]

Also, FB status updates from my "friends" out here, in and around Vancouver:

JAF: F#$K Wow...
    3 minutes ago · Like ·

CKH: Waaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaa!
    18 minutes ago via iPhone · Like ·

AR: game over, let the riots begin! flippin canucks dont deserve to win. god.
    30 minutes ago via Mobile Web · Like ·
    • MSC: ‎3 periods in a hockey game u wait 25 minutes ago · Like
    • AR: for what? they gonna come back with 4 goals? theyre playing so sloppy and choking so bad man. 16 minutes ago · Like

FB: Attaboy Bergy
    about an hour ago via iPhone · Unlike ·

BR: I think I'm going to puke!
    1 hour ago via iPhone · Like ·

Last edited by Drageuth; 16th-June-2011 at 02:13.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This deserves a double-post.

BOSTON BRUINS ARE THE 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS~!

And now, the onslaught that I posted on Facebook as soon as the final whistle blew:
    Spoiler warning:

[ edit ]

I don't care if the Canucks sweep every Playoff series from next year until 2020, I don't think I'm ever going to cheer for them again after this.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 16th-June-2011 at 06:30.

Thanks
    EP Points

@Canada: Payback for the Olympics!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    @Canada: Payback for the Olympics!
    Plan for next Olympics.

1. Merge Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas.
    2. Win the gold.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Payback for the Olympics?
    65% of the Boston team was made up of Canadian players. Including one from Vancouver itself.

Also, I owe an apology to Nemesis. I told him in the chat that I couldn't think of any great hockey players that came out of Michigan. I didn't realize that Tim Thomas was from Michigan.

You get one.

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't care, the cup is in the U.S.