Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    EP Points

Don't mention the USA Olympic hockey team, I'm still pissed about losing to Canada

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

LOOOOOOOOOOL.

Burrows should not even be playing and then that shit happens. I agree with the announcers there though Chara should have just taken a penalty.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    So true! When America is out in the Olympics I cheer for Sweden in men's hockey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Don't mention the USA Olympic hockey team, I'm still pissed about losing to Canada

Go Canada Go!

LOOOOOOOOOOL.

Burrows should not even be playing and then that shit happens. I agree with the announcers there though Chara should have just taken a penalty.
    Thomas needs to learn to stay in his goddamn net.
    And yeah, Chara was pretty much useless on that play. Should have just wrapped an arm around Burrows and snapped him in half.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

WOW, Vancouver. Just... just... wow.
    - An excerpt from my post in the Hang Out

Boston came out to play tonight, and I think that Vancouver thought it would be a little bit easier to take this game, even though they just barely squeaked through the last two to give them their 2-0 series lead. A really late goal in the third period of the first game to put them ahead (I think there was something like twenty seconds left) and the overtime goal last game. They aren't running away with it, and they need to come into these games expecting to battle their hearts out.

Of course, Boston also rallied after that devastating hit to Nathan Horton. Last I heard, he was able to move his extremities (arms and legs) and they think he's going to be okay, but he's probably out for the series. As much as I want Vancouver to win, Rome should get at least a three game suspension for that. It'll probably only be one, though, 'cause lolplayoffs.

Final score: 8-1 for Boston.

Wow. Just... wow.

For anyone who wants to see the hit:

Spoiler warning:

Also, I kind of find it to be in bad taste that this video is from the official Canucks Youtube Channel. If you want to display some good, clean hits, that's fine, but this is a late hit that at the very least probably ended this guys season, and could potentially end his career if it's bad enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Rome received a four game suspension for his hit on Horton. Which is actually pretty shocking... of course, now I've got to put up with the plethora of Facebook status updates saying "The NHL does not want Vancouver to win the cup!" Then I just facepalm and drink myself silly. Horton has a "severe" concussion (not really sure what makes a concussion more or less severe) and is out for the remainder of the season. So is Rome -- he will not be playing any more games this season. However, if the series ends before Game 7, Rome will still have to serve the remainder of his suspension off the first couple of games next season. So, if the Canucks win the next two games and end it in five, Rome will be suspended for the first two games of the 2011-2012 season.

Which, in my opinion, is actually one of the few just punishments I've seen in a while.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by drag
    And yeah, Chara was pretty much useless on that play. Should have just wrapped an arm around Burrows and snapped him in half.
    Yeah...that was sad...

Anyway, let's move on to the hit and the suspension. The hit was an absolute gutless cheapshot. Assuming Horton will miss the rest of the series the suspension is definitely warranted imo.

Those facebook statuses are very idiotic. Rome being out won't have the same impact of Horton being out imo.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah...that was sad...

Anyway, let's move on to the hit and the suspension. The hit was an absolute gutless cheapshot. Assuming Horton will miss the rest of the series the suspension is definitely warranted imo.

Those facebook statuses are very idiotic. Rome being out won't have the same impact of Horton being out imo.
    According to doctor's, he will be out for the rest of the season. He has a severe concussion.
    I agree, though, that it's not really an "equal" trade off. Rome is a third or fourth line player -- Horton is a first line player, and I think he's second highest for points in the post-season for the Bruins. Definitely gonna be a blow for the Bruins, but hopefully they can use this, and the 8-1 clobberfest last night, as a rallying point.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I thought so, but hadn't really read up on it.

I think the series is over. I picked Vancouver in 5 (mostly as a joke, and only really in a chat while drunk with a big Canucks fan but heeeey) before it started and I'm sticking with it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I thought so, but hadn't really read up on it.

I think the series is over. I picked Vancouver in 5 (mostly as a joke, and only really in a chat while drunk with a big Canucks fan but heeeey) before it started and I'm sticking with it.
    I think they're gonna do it in 6.

/random guess

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If I was seriously prognosticating right now I'd probably say 6 too cause Boston has the ability to steal a game. Overall the Canucks are way too fast for them imo tho.

Also, this NBA game is freaking awesome why am I sitting here talking hockey? XD

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, Boston sure beat the crap out of the Canucks tonight.

Boston outplayed the Canucks pretty much the entire game. They were winning all of the battles for the puck, they were fantastic with their hitting, great penalty killing, and great even strength play. Boston has always been a powerful team while playing 5-on-5, and it really showed in this game. Their powerplay is usually a little weak, but with the Canucks unable to make anything work on the power play anyways, it didn't really effect them tonight.

Also, lolwut @ Tim Thomas. Very physical goaltender -- he damn near took Kesler's head off in that last fight.

Series is tied 2-2 going back to Vancouver. Let's see if the Canucks can get something going when they return to GM Place for the next home game. Friday at 8PM ET / 5PM PT. SO STOKED!

Thanks
    EP Points

Most humans are simple minded and easily frightened, and more than anything they just want to go along with whatever helps them fit in and avoid being ostracized for any differences. So I have to ask myself, how many people actually like sports, and how many are just pretending to like them because they want to belong? It's like church. I'm sure there are some people who actually believe that they should be going to church to serve a higher calling, but most are just mildly afraid of eternal damnation and figure they may just as well show up every Sunday to be on the safe side.

The whole concept of most competitive sports is that. (psychologically,) everything can be reduced to simplistic black and white values: one winner, one loser; no ambiguity or uncomfortable ambivalence to force anyone to think. Just watch the ball go back and forth over the soothing white and green field and forget all of your cares....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Troll go away.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

One more win.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pretty epic game. I don't think the Canucks can close it out in Boston though.