Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Every single time the sportscasters talk about playing at someone else's arena, they always -- ALWAYS -- say "this is a tough building to play in."

We fucking get it. Most people at a game are there for that city's team. Shaddafuckup already.
    Aye, and what about the places that are easy to win in because the home team sucks? Anyway, pretty lame so far with this round of the NHL playoffs. I most wanted the Flyers and Wings to win and well...yeah...

Loving what Tampa is doing though.

As for the Canucks series, Pekka Rinne is ridiculous, but not enough to stop Vancouver from advancing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Aye, and what about the places that are easy to win in because the home team sucks? Anyway, pretty lame so far with this round of the NHL playoffs. I most wanted the Flyers and Wings to win and well...yeah...
    Even with some of the worst teams in the league (take Edmonton and Colorado as an example), the buildings are notorious for having rowdy and very faithful fans. Even if the team itself doesn't put up much of a fight, sometimes just the atmosphere of the arena is enough to through some lesser players for a loop. Most teams (not all, but most) win more games at home than they do on the road. Looking at the standings this year, there were only five or six teams that didn't win more at home than away. Edmonton did, and Colorado did. Hell, even Florida and the Islanders did. Doesn't mean anything about the team that's actually there, it's the mythical "home ice advantage."

Loving what Tampa is doing though.
    This, so much this.

I also love that Roloson has gray in his beard.

As for the Canucks series, Pekka Rinne is ridiculous, but not enough to stop Vancouver from advancing.
    You know, I don't think I watched a single Nashville game in the regular season, and I'm starting to regret that. Rinne is freaking amazing. Even with the game tonight, he really only made one mistake that I picked up on, which led to a goal for the Canucks. But beyond that, he has been practically unbeatable.

I wish I could put more odds in favour of Nashville, because I'm really only cheering for Vancouver because they are the local and Canadian team (I live just outside of Vancouver). But when Nashville goes seventeen minutes without a shot on goal... they can't win the series doing that. They might win another game, but I don't see them making this a run to Game 7 against the Canucks.

Definitely gonna keep my eyes on Rinne next season, though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by drag
    Even with some of the worst teams in the league (take Edmonton and Colorado as an example), the buildings are notorious for having rowdy and very faithful fans. Even if the team itself doesn't put up much of a fight, sometimes just the atmosphere of the arena is enough to through some lesser players for a loop. Most teams (not all, but most) win more games at home than they do on the road. Looking at the standings this year, there were only five or six teams that didn't win more at home than away. Edmonton did, and Colorado did. Hell, even Florida and the Islanders did. Doesn't mean anything about the team that's actually there, it's the mythical "home ice advantage.
    It's a load of shit and especially for good teams. Good teams win on the road in any sport.

This, so much this.

I also love that Roloson has gray in his beard.
    I'd love to see them in the SC finals at this point.

You know, I don't think I watched a single Nashville game in the regular season, and I'm starting to regret that. Rinne is freaking amazing. Even with the game tonight, he really only made one mistake that I picked up on, which led to a goal for the Canucks. But beyond that, he has been practically unbeatable.

I wish I could put more odds in favour of Nashville, because I'm really only cheering for Vancouver because they are the local and Canadian team (I live just outside of Vancouver). But when Nashville goes seventeen minutes without a shot on goal... they can't win the series doing that. They might win another game, but I don't see them making this a run to Game 7 against the Canucks.

Definitely gonna keep my eyes on Rinne next season, though.
    I can't imagine Nashville are on tv an awful lot aside from something that would give you every game. Rinne is indeed great. He's becoming a top goalkeeper. Don't know if the Finnish national team are starting him yet but they should. Kipper was a travesty in the olympics. Nashville are just not skilled enough to win the series. Same problem with Buffalo vs Philly in the first round. Great goalkeeping is always an epic tool to even the playing field, but you still have to score and play good defense or you will lose. Nashville basically has two good players: Rinne and Weber.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's a load of shit and especially for good teams. Good teams win on the road in any sport.
    I didn't say they didn't. Just that it's easier for a team to play in a building where everyone is cheering for them.

I'd love to see them in the SC finals at this point.
    I think they will be. Or at the very least, they'll go out in Game 7 against Boston for the Eastern finals. It'll be damned close, though.

I can't imagine Nashville are on tv an awful lot aside from something that would give you every game. Rinne is indeed great. He's becoming a top goalkeeper. Don't know if the Finnish national team are starting him yet but they should. Kipper was a travesty in the olympics. Nashville are just not skilled enough to win the series. Same problem with Buffalo vs Philly in the first round. Great goalkeeping is always an epic tool to even the playing field, but you still have to score and play good defense or you will lose. Nashville basically has two good players: Rinne and Weber.
    Hockey Night In Canada. Every Saturday night, two games back to back -- Toronto Maple Leafs every time for the first slot, then a Canadian team from the Western Conference (so, basically, Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary) in the second slot. If Nashville played against any of them, it would be televised on even the most basic of cable packages in Canada. Beyond that... yeah, you'd have to get the NHL Center Ice package.

And Fisher is decent, too. Not a stand-out "gotta keep my eyes on him" player, but not an empty body, either.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I didn't say they didn't. Just that it's easier for a team to play in a building where everyone is cheering for them.
    Aye, it wasn't really aimed at you, just kind of venting in general about that crap.

I think they will be. Or at the very least, they'll go out in Game 7 against Boston for the Eastern finals. It'll be damned close, though.
    Philly is not dead yet. I remember last year...

Hockey Night In Canada. Every Saturday night, two games back to back -- Toronto Maple Leafs every time for the first slot, then a Canadian team from the Western Conference (so, basically, Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary) in the second slot. If Nashville played against any of them, it would be televised on even the most basic of cable packages in Canada. Beyond that... yeah, you'd have to get the NHL Center Ice package.

And Fisher is decent, too. Not a stand-out "gotta keep my eyes on him" player, but not an empty body, either.
    Bit tougher than that to get games in the good ole USA. I wish we had something like that but the sport isn't popular enough here. And yeah I probably couldn't afford NHL Center Ice.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Aye, it wasn't really aimed at you, just kind of venting in general about that crap.

Philly is not dead yet. I remember last year...
    True, they aren't out, but something tells me that Boston is going to put this one away. I'm thinking... six games.

Bit tougher than that to get games in the good ole USA. I wish we had something like that but the sport isn't popular enough here. And yeah I probably couldn't afford NHL Center Ice.
    We can also catch the occasional game on Sportsnet, 'cept I can't see too many Edmonton games. Sportsnet is divided into regions, and they play the "local" team. So I can catch a fair number of Canucks games, but if I want to see an Edmonton game I have to wait for one on HNIC, or when they are playing the Canucks. And I can't afford NHL Center Ice either... it's $220 for the season. Just a bit too much for me to watch the Oilers get their asses kicked.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'd agree mainly because the goaltending for the Flyers is so damn awful. It can't help that they keep pulling guys mid-game...

We can also catch the occasional game on Sportsnet, 'cept I can't see too many Edmonton games. Sportsnet is divided into regions, and they play the "local" team. So I can catch a fair number of Canucks games, but if I want to see an Edmonton game I have to wait for one on HNIC, or when they are playing the Canucks. And I can't afford NHL Center Ice either... it's $220 for the season. Just a bit too much for me to watch the Oilers get their asses kicked.
    Word. I definitely can't afford that. I know about the local game thing as well, another person I talk hockey with is a Canucks fan that lives in Alberta and she has the same problem as you with having to watch a team she doesn't care about as much.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'd agree mainly because the goaltending for the Flyers is so damn awful. It can't help that they keep pulling guys mid-game...
    In their defense, at least one of them was an injury...
    I can't fathom how they expect the goaltender to have any confidence in their game if they keep getting pulled from a game.

Word. I definitely can't afford that. I know about the local game thing as well, another person I talk hockey with is a Canucks fan that lives in Alberta and she has the same problem as you with having to watch a team she doesn't care about as much.
    Tell her I'll switch.
    Oilers fan in BC, and Canucks fan in Alberta... WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!
    (I'm so glad you didn't say she was a Leafs or a Flames fan, though. I would have had to track her down and smack her. )

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Exactly. They have such fragile minds.

Tell her I'll switch.
    Oilers fan in BC, and Canucks fan in Alberta... WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!
    (I'm so glad you didn't say she was a Leafs or a Flames fan, though. I would have had to track her down and smack her. )
    Aye. Haha.

I actually have a burning hatred for the Flames. It's more or less irrational and can not be described but I hate the franchise with every fiber of my being. I also can't stand Iginla. That one cup win was a TOTAL FLUKE.

I'm indifferent about the Maple Leafs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I actually have a burning hatred for the Flames. It's more or less irrational and can not be described but I hate the franchise with every fiber of my being. I also can't stand Iginla. That one cup win was a TOTAL FLUKE.

I'm indifferent about the Maple Leafs.
    I'm not a huge fan of the Leafs, but I can't really say I hate them.
    I grew up in Alberta, just outside of Edmonton. Bred from a young age to hate the Flames. There was a reason that the two clubs hadn't traded any players between them at all (at least not directly) until only a couple of years ago. And yeah, Iginla is one of the reasons I can't stand them. Especially since he's in all of these Scotiabank commercials up here, and I can't avoid him.

Some of the best hockey I've seen, though, have been Battle of Alberta games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know if I'd be able to cope with seeing Iginla's face every day...

Some of the best hockey I've seen, though, have been Battle of Alberta games.
    Certainly battling for pride and dignity this year. Hehehe. Anyway I'm off. zzz

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know if I'd be able to cope with seeing Iginla's face every day...

Certainly battling for pride and dignity this year. Hehehe. Anyway I'm off. zzz
    It's a chore trying to make it through those thirty seconds.
    The last one was pretty freaking amazing. Until Edmonton blew a 3-1 lead in the third to end up losing 4-3 in a shoot. I cried myself to sleep that night.

Also, .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

TTTTTTAAAAAAMMMMPPPPAAAAAAA!!!!!

WOOOOO

5-3 win over the Washington Capitals sends the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Eastern Conference Final. They swept the series against the Capitals and are the first team in the semi-finals to advance to the conference finals.

Thanks

Madrid won't be buying Adebayor, oh well, I wasn't a fan of him before but he proved himself to be a quality striker, scored a few goals and he was overall decent, but having Higuaín, Benzema and Cristiano (who isn't supposed to be a striker but he plays in that position) means being most of the time in the bench.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    Madrid won't be buying Adebayor, oh well, I wasn't a fan of him before but he proved himself to be a quality striker, scored a few goals and he was overall decent, but having Higuaín, Benzema and Cristiano (who isn't supposed to be a striker but he plays in that position) means being most of the time in the bench.
    I wouldn't mind seeing him stay, but I'm not sure what his role would be with Higuain back to action.

And congrats, Fer, now go kick some cules asses (redundant, isn't it? )