Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports discussions: Football, Pie throwing, Chinese chequers, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah, too many missed chances to reduce that difference and the fucking refs are always there...

Wait, are we talking about Arsenal or Madrid here

Thanks

Okay.. I'm finally done, that took me various sites and apologies to people. It took quite a long time. But I'm finally finished eating my words. Arsenal deserved the win there. They were the better team from the start to the finish. Wenger and his boys finally got a win against us again. Next up is Schalke and another big one vs. Chelsea. And We better win that one!
    Last edited by Nick; 3rd-May-2011 at 17:55.
    Minecraft! + Boredom!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So who's ready for Barca to camp? I know I am!

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, I'm done with the thread title

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Recap:

Boston won the game against Philadelphia last night/yesterday/whatever time it was played at. They are currently leading the series 2-0.
    San Jose is leading the series against Detroit 2-0.
    Tampa Bay is leading the series against Washington 2-0.
    Vancouver and Nashville are tied at 1 game each.

Tampa Bay v. Washington is tonight at... some time. I can't keep track of timezones anymore. I think the game starts at 4PM my time.
    Vancouver v. Nashville is tonight at 6PM my time.
    Boston v. Philly and Detroid v. San Jose play tomorrow. All of these are the third games in the season.

Ironically, the Vancouver Canucks were the leading scorers in the regular season, but have the least number of goals out of all the remaining teams in the Playoffs. Burrows has been moved to the top line with the Sedin twins, with the hope that his style will give the Sedins a bit more confidence and chances with the puck. This is vital against an outstanding goaltender like Pekka Rinne, who played phenomenally in the game on Saturday night, when Nashville beat Vancouver 2-1, finally sneaking a puck past an exhausted Luongo late in the second overtime. Rinne made some outstanding saves, and it is fair to say that he is one of the main reasons that Nashville, for the first time in franchise history, has made it to the second round of the Playoffs. Definitely a force to be reckoned with, and one that the twins, and all of the top scorers for the Canucks, need to learn how to beat.

Surprisingly, another goaltender has been the key ingredient in getting Tampa Bay so far into the playoffs. Dwayne Roloson, the oldest goaltender in the playoffs at the moment, is a shining star and has arguably performed the best out of all the remaining goaltenders -- which is saying a lot. He had an amazing playoff run back in 2006, where he carried the 8th seeded Edmonton Oilers through to the Stanley Cup Finals before an errant play left him injured for the remainder of the playoffs, and backup goaltender Markennen stepped in to carry the time all the way to Game #7 before finally losing to the Carolina Hurricanes, who won the cup that year. Roloson is performing the same feat again this year, carrying the 5th place Lightning through to the second round and maintaining a two games to none lead over the 1st seeded Washington Capitals. The Lightning are playing magnificently and are only two wins away from returning to the Eastern Conference finals, which they haven't seen since 2004.

Predictions:

Vancouver v. Nashville - I think Vancouver is going to win tonight, 2-1. I'm thinking it's going to go to one overtime.
    Tampa Bay v. Washington - As much as I hate to say it, I think that Washington is going to come out guns a-blazin' this time and beat the Lightning. I'm thinking the final score is going to be 4-2 in favour of the Capitals.

My prediction for Western and Eastern conference finals:

Vancouver v. San Jose (Western)
    Boston v. Tampa Bay (Eastern)

Should be some good games coming up.

Thanks

Loving the new shirt Elmdy-doo.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post

Loving the new shirt Elmdy-doo.
    Me too. ^_____^ And I didn't actually get one this season (I wanted the away shirt, and figured I could wait until I actually had time to go to London, but all the non-super-fat sizes were gone ), so I'll be sure to get it fast. :>

Have you seen the leaked away shirt though? Looked pretty awful.

Sorry, Cookies. I don't know which team I hope loses the most now...

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Robin v. Persie View Post
    Me too. ^_____^ And I didn't actually get one this season (I wanted the away shirt, and figured I could wait until I actually had time to go to London, but all the non-super-fat sizes were gone ), so I'll be sure to get it fast. :>

Sorry, Cookies. I don't know which team I hope loses the most now...
    Thanks, Elmy but Şenes Erzik already decided that only the Unicef team will win euro titles this year :/
    Did you see the goal Higuain scored, pretty good, wasn't it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Every single time the sportscasters talk about playing at someone else's arena, they always -- ALWAYS -- say "this is a tough building to play in."

We fucking get it. Most people at a game are there for that city's team. Shaddafuckup already.

Thanks

I'm a United fan, yet I would like to have an Arsenal jersey, I like their designs, but I find it hard that they will top the 2005 one, it was beautiful. I wouldn't wear a Chelsea jersey though. They're horrid.

I haven't but I hope it's not a horrible flashy yellow jersey with blue shorts.

Did you see the goal Higuain scored, pretty good, wasn't it?
    Won't comment on the match, but I liked how Madrid played without Pepe. Oh, and it's good to see Higuain back, I love that guy. <3

Here's hoping Man U don't do anything stupid and lose, and if they advance I expect them to play a better game than the last time, which, honestly isn't that hard, just try to do some football dammit.
    Last edited by Fer!; 3rd-May-2011 at 22:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

T'was a crap call, Cookies. Bizarre, really.

Fer: I wish.

Thanks

What the shit?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Seven minutes and forty-eight seconds into the first period, Washington is on the power play. Washington manages to push the puck past Roloson... but there were too many men on the ice.
    Instead of a 1-0 lead in the game, they receive a penalty, which ends their power play and will put Tampa on the power play once their interference penalty ends.

Just over eleven minutes into the first period, and Bergenheim scores for Tampa Bay. Lightning are leading the game 1-0 now. Fifth playoff goal this year.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 3rd-May-2011 at 23:04.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    What the shit?
    I know, right? Although it will probably look slightly less awful when worn, but still.

And, yes, the Chelsea shirts are always horrible. Looks like some sort of armour.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tampa Bay v. Washington

First minute of the second period, Ovechkin gets an almost breakaway and puts a puck towards Roloson. Roloson stopped it and it deflected towards the back boards, where it was tossed back in front while Roloson was still down. After two whacks at the puck, Knuble managed to sneak it past Rollie and ties the game.

Just over 8 minutes into the second period, Carlson fires a bullet from just outside the point and sneaks it past Roloson. 2-1 Capitals.

11:51 into the second period, Purcell moves the puck around and drops it for St. Louis, who moves it to the front of the net and LeCavalier pushes it past Neuvirth. 2-2 game.

Lightning just received two penalties. There is going to be a five-on-three power play for the Capitals for 1:26, then a five-on-four power play for the remaining 0:34. Provided no one scores for Washington.

Ovechkin scores on the five-on-three, taking the game to 3-2. They still have 0:55 remaining on the five-on-four power play.

Nevermind. Washington gets a slashing penalty, nullifies the power play and switches the game to four-on-four hockey. Lightning power play is coming for 1:22 -- pretty much the remainder of the second period.

Stamkos scores at 5:23 in the third to tie the game at 3-3.

After a video review to make sure that the puck wasn't pushed into the net with a kicking motion, Malone scores at 5:47 off a deflection to bring the game to 4-3 for the Lightning.

Interesting note about the Lightning: so far this year, they have been shorthanded 50 times in these playoffs and have only allowed two power play goals. That's... a really fucking good PK%
    Also, in the third period so far, the Lightning are outshooting the Capitals 11 shots to 1.

OH GOD VANCOUVER v. NASHVILLE IS STARTING BUT THERE IS STILL TWO MINUTES LEFT IN THE TAMPA BAY v. WASHINGTON GAME!

There is one minute remaining in the Lightning v. Capitals game, Capitals have pulled the goalie and put six forwards on. Tampa Bay just iced the puck and called a time out because they can't get a change between plays due to the icing.

And Tampa Bay wins the game 4-3. They are up three games to none in the series. They only have to win one of the next four games in order to knock the Capitals out of the playoffs and advance to the Eastern Conference Finals. Time to flip to the Vancouver game.

Vancouver v. Nashville

With Vancouver on the power play, but about to take a penalty, Legwand intercepts a pass in front of the net and pops it up into the top right corner at 9:42 in the 1st. 1-0 Predators.

End of the first period, Vancouver is going to start the second period with a power play for about 1:30. Nashville took a really lame penalty when Smithson brought his stick up while he was all alone in front of Luongo and caught him in the mask. No one around, nothing to cause him to bring his stick up, just one of those "whhooopsss!" moments. Nashville stills leads 1-0. Vancouver outshot Nashville 15-8 in the first period, but couldn't sneak anything past Rinne.

Exactly one minute into the second period, and finally Kessler scored his first goal of the post-season. 1-1 game.

... well that was odd. Fisher just "tripped" Kessler, but what really happened was Fisher poked at him and his stick got stuck in Kessler's skates. As in, that little opening in the skates. Stuck there. So... Vancouver has a power play. That was... interesting.

Higgins draws a penalty for Nashville, but before they touch the puck, Higgins grabs it and puts it into the back of the net. 2-1 Vancouver.

Ward just scored on a wrap around deflection that bounced off the skate of Ehrhoff. Tied game, 2-2, with six minutes remaining in the third period.

Game went into overtime. Fairly uneventful, but Nashville took halfway through overtime. Vancouver danced the puck around the edges, looking for a clear shooting lane, and eventually Samuelsson sends a rocket from the point that gets tipped by Kessler right in front of Rinne. 3-2 final, Canucks lead the series 2-1.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 4th-May-2011 at 04:14.