Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Play: A How-To Guide By A Bored Guy

Thanks

Um, if I may contribute the compression/encoding part of the guide regarding the video size and quality, just let me know with the reply. Of course, I believe, plenty have found way to go around sizeful Fraps recordings but it would be nice to actually add it to the guide.

I can easily edit the post with method I am using, and some are too I hope which is very effective and actually requires use of a freeware which is a plus always, no need to pay for the software to do the job. Thanks for the guide it helped in couple of aspects I had difficulties in.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Go nuts. I can edit in or link to whatever information you want to post. All additional information for this half assed guide is quite welcome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Go nuts. I can edit in or link to whatever information you want to post. All additional information for this half assed guide is quite welcome.
    Thanks for the prompt reply, you can just use the post and paste it to the OP, no problems there.

I was seeking for a better solution, since the one presented here didn't give me wanted results. What most complained about was compression rate. Then I discovered a software called VidCoder http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/ - it's free to download, which basically lets you customize a preset which you can use to encode/compress your recorded video.

I'll attach couple of screenshots you can then upload - embed on your POST in the guide, describing the process.

I probably haven't found the optimum, but I have managed to compress a 3 minute 700 mB fraps video to a 40 MB video with a invisible loss, with a bitrate of 2000 kbs, which is almost halfway to HD rate at Youtube.

Here's a short process to setup your encoding preset (ss supplemented):

1. Choose your source file > video file > file you want to encode
    2. Click Encoding - Settings
    3. There you'll find 5 tabs, Picture - Video Filters - Video - Audio - Advanced
    Picture
    Use Anamorphic settings STRICT, just to use same format of the source video.

Video Filters
    If you're concerned your video will have any glitches, sever losses or similar try playing with these options which usually enhance the quality, but I haven't changed any - video quality was still high.

Video
    Use H.264(x264) codec- very important!
    - 2 pass encoding
    - Optional Turbo 1st Pass
    Quality
    I am using bitrate as criteria as it's universal for each format/aspect ratio - I am targeting around 2000 for a great quality/size ratio, and size in mB will show above.
    My x264 Basic settings > Profile = Baseline if anyone cared.

Both Audio and Advanced tabs are already preset - nothing really to tweak unless you know what you're doing.

4. While in Encoding options, on top your window you'll have options for Container > mp4, I suggest; Extension mp4 and Web-optimized option clicked.

5. Click Save-as > name your preset and you're good to go.

You can preview the file with Preview button, or close the window with small [x], and press >Encode> Button on main window screen.

Happy Encoding.vid1.jpgvid2.jpgvid3.jpg

Thanks

What in gods name is Ass to mouth 7? Or should i not even ask?