Thread: General Rom Questions

Thanks

Default General Rom Questions

Is there an easy way to take a complete rom collection and pick out one rom for the most usable version of each game? Take the DS for example, there is ~950 games but there is also ~5300 roms out for it and most of the itme I don't care about the extra 4300 roms.

My general understanding is that [!] means it's a good dump. This has always confused me, why on earth would anyone ever want a bad dump? If you were dumping a game and messed up wouldn't you want to delete it and do it again?

Thanks

I have no idea. I tried getting a collection and found I had the same problem as you. I'd go ahead and download each game separately if you can find 'em. Much easier that way. I know, it sounds like a hassle, but if you play the roms often enough, the end result is worth it 1000%

Thanks

That's right. I have the same problem as downloading a rom!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by CarlostheMonkey View Post
    Is there an easy way to take a complete rom collection and pick out one rom for the most usable version of each game? Take the DS for example, there is ~950 games but there is also ~5300 roms out for it and most of the itme I don't care about the extra 4300 roms.

My general understanding is that [!] means it's a good dump. This has always confused me, why on earth would anyone ever want a bad dump? If you were dumping a game and messed up wouldn't you want to delete it and do it again?
    There are actually ~4500 DS games. As for why someone would want a bad dump, it's for collectors. Some people just like to have a full set of every version of something that exists.

There aren't only good and bad dumps included. There are also revisions and different regions. For example, Super Mario RPG has a 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 version. Each of these has slight differences in the code to fix bugs and such that likely aren't even noticeable to the player, but they most definitely make a difference if you try to patch the game. There are also French, German, Japanese, etc. versions of each game.

My question is why anyone would ever want a full set of every game if they aren't a collector. You'll likely never play them all, and most definitely never to completion.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sure, just download the individual good ROM's you want, or find a site with archives of say a complete [!] [U] NES ROM set. There is another another alternative, download a complete set and then use Cowering's "Goodtools" to rename and dirs which places them into different folders according to region, good dump, bad dump, hack, translation, etc. You will need GoodGUI and the Goodtool that coresponds to your roms.

For your viewing pleasure a ROM Legend:

Regular Codes:
    [a] - Alternate
    [b] - Bad Dump
    [BF] - Bung Fix
    [c] - Cracked
    [f] - Other Fix
    [h] - Hack
    [o] - Overdump
    [p] - Pirate
    [t] - Trained
    [T] - Translation
    (Unl) - Unlicensed
    [x] - Bad Checksum
    ZZZ_ - Unclassified
    [!] - Verified Good Dump
    (???k) - ROM Size

Special Codes:
    [C] - Color GameBoy
    [S] - Super GameBoy
    (M#) - Multilanguage (# of Languages)
    [M] - Mono Only (NeoGeo Pocket)
    (PC10) - PlayChoice 10 (NES)
    (1) - Japan (Genesis)
    (4) - USA (Genesis)
    (5) - NTSC Only (Genesis)
    (8) - PAL Only (Genesis)
    (BS) - BS ROMS (SNES)
    (ST) - Sufami Turbo (SNES)
    (NP) - Nintendo Power (SNES)
    (Adam) - ADAM Version (Coleco)
    (PAL) - PAL Video

Country Codes:
    (A) - Australian
    (C) - Chinese
    (E) - Europe
    (F) - French
    (FN) - Finland
    (G) - German
    (GR) - Greece
    (HK) - Hong Kong
    (I) - Italian
    (J) - Japan
    (K) - Korean
    (NL) - Dutch
    (PD) - Public Domain
    (S) - Spanish
    (SW) - Sweden
    (U) - USA
    (UK) - England
    (Unk) - Unknown Country
    (-) - Unknown Country

To answer your question, I don't know for sure, but the non-good dumps were leaked, perhaps Cowering did it to help people know which roms they had, to identify them as opposed to having an unknown dump. In any case, Cowering is the bomb, I really appreciate his contribution to the emulation scene.