Page 50 of 76 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Show(s) Have You Watched Recently?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've been pushing myself through Caprica, because I've seen so many people rave about it, calling it too smart for TV and how it being canned is just proof that we're all idiots. Said people are pretentious and up their own asses, because the show is horrible, just as I remember it when I stopped watching after about four episodes. And the thing is, it gets worse with every episode after that!

When I first got into it, my biggest problem was the setting; with BSG ended, and I watched the whole damn thing, including that horrible finale, I knew exactly when the series was supposed to take place. However, they didn't seem to care, because Caprica looked like Earth maybe 20 years into the future. On an alien planet possibly on the other side of the galaxy were cars from maybe 10 years ago. They had plums, they had tennis, they had cats and dogs (I know, a flaw BSG had as well, but they had an excuse for a while with not knowing the time setting), everything about it screamed soft science fiction set on Earth where they had robot butlers and an evolution of the GUI for the Internet in eye bands.

The characters range from I want to punch my monitor to dear God somebody wrote this and assumed we were supposed to care. There is a level of smug that comes from such horrible characters with horrible lines delivered by terrible actors in a drama that tries too hard and yet delivers nothing. Then when they doesn't work, they add in an MMO where death means perma banning, because hey, that's fun. They ramp up the character flaws to 11 and start trying to push terrorists as main characters who we're supposed to feel something more than the purest of disdain. But you know, at least that's a step up from the space Italians with their space mob, where you have multiple characters who are little more than thugs who you wish you could beat to death as main and supporting characters.

The show is trash, just like BSG became after the first two seasons (with the last half of season 4 being the perfect storm of dear God make the pain stop). People are trying to push "intelligence" onto the show when in reality they just want drama and flawed, whiny characters that they can be pretentious about and look down their noses at those who don't "get it".

Death of intelligent TV? No, there was nothing intelligent about Caprica... except the decision to cancel it.

Thanks

I've been on a South Park binge ever since I stopped watching the series several years ago. Season 19 Episode 1 REALLY delivered!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Waiting on disc six of season two, then the first three discs of season three of Babylon 5 to get here. I've become addicted to the show, I think, as I ran through four discs in one sitting.

Also watching the original Battlestar Galactica, because why not.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Recently finished watching all of Fringe S1-5.
    Finished watching Arrow S1-3 and The Flash S1. So I'm up to date for new episodes starting soon (next week or so? ).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Started season 4 of Babylon 5, and it's only getting more amazing.

Finished up season 1 of X-Men: The Animated Series. Held up decently well, I'd say.

Thanks
    EP Points

Continuum.
    Good to see the show get wrapped up instead of being unfinished.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I started watching CSI cyber. I'm about 8 episodes in and I'm not really feeling it for actual stories per episode or the characters.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Nearly finished s1 of Vikings.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/

Thanks

The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.

Thanks

Not long since finished off going through Gotham's first season with my house mate and would certainly recommend it. Loved the environment and quirky characters they created for this series and looking forward to jumping on the second season.
    Fancy listening to a new gaming podcast? Have a listen to our show The Ban Hammer Podcast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIuLhCEW3Rc
    Episode 13: Tokyo Gameshow 2016 [Casual Gaming Banter]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soultrix View Post
    Not long since finished off going through Gotham's first season with my house mate and would certainly recommend it. Loved the environment and quirky characters they created for this series and looking forward to jumping on the second season.
    I agree. I was quite skeptical about a "before" Batman show however watched it on a whim and was hooked.

It's definitely the characters that make the show. They all do a great job. Especially Fish and Penguin!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm two DVDs away from finishing season 4 of Babylon 5.

Finished season 2 of X-Men: The Animated Series and started season 3. Some of these episodes really could have stood to be two parts, but eh, what can you do?

Started series 8 of modern Doctor Who. 12 isn't as bad as 11, but the show is still not as amazing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prom Night Dumpster Baby View Post
    I agree. I was quite skeptical about a "before" Batman show however watched it on a whim and was hooked.

It's definitely the characters that make the show. They all do a great job. Especially Fish and Penguin!
    I was quite surprised to hear a few people I know haven't particularly enjoyed it as I thought it would have been highly regarded in general. It's defintiely the characters that make it and it has so many strong ones in there too, where as Bruce Wayne himself is quite a simplistic role with far less quirkyness, though it is intentional to have him more as a background character due to the villans taking the lead focus in general. Penguin is excellent and I've noticed that the guy who plays Pee Wee is supposedly playing his father in this.
    Fancy listening to a new gaming podcast? Have a listen to our show The Ban Hammer Podcast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIuLhCEW3Rc
    Episode 13: Tokyo Gameshow 2016 [Casual Gaming Banter]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Finished season 4 of Babylon 5; I don't care if season 5 crashes and burns, the show is amazing. I did start season 5, and I'm shocked that so many people hate A View from the Gallery. Some of it was pretty bad and all, but maybe I just enjoy those kinds of episodes more than most.

Season 5 really does drag, doesn't it? I thought I hated Marcus Cole, but good lord, Byron is ten times worse.

I had to stop several times during Sleeping In Light to keep from crying.

Finished series 8 of Doctor Who.
    Spoiler warning:
    The Master becoming a female just felt like pandering, to be honest, both to the transgender community and the people who wrote fanfics of them getting it on. Also bringing back The Brigadier felt like Moffat wanking himself off because this is just his fanfic made show canon.

I also watched the Christmas Special and... meh...

Finished the original Battlestar Galactica. It was decent and had potential to be a longer running series, but that never happened. I still think it's better than the latter half of the reboot series, though.

I'm not even half way into the first episode of Galactica 1980 and can already see why the series was canned after only 10 episodes. My god, this is truly horrid...

It didn't get any better, save for The Return of Starbuck.

Finished X-Men: The Animated Series, and while most of it was great, the last six episodes were horrible due to them not being able to get the same animation company. The series finale was also pretty lame, especially since it just ends on a happy note in spite of the fact that World War III is literally starting.

Finishing up season 1 of Farscape; why did I never watch this when it was doing its first run, all those years ago? I feel like a fool, especially since I knew all about it when it was first airing and just simply ignored it, despite being right up my alley.
    Last edited by Aeolus Aeneas; 8th-December-2015 at 01:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just started watching The Man In The High Castle.

Spoiler warning: