Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast

Thread: What TV Show(s) Have You Watched Recently?

Thanks

finished Patriot. great binge watching material. suprisingly dark.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Scrubs and That 70s Show are being replayed on Comedy Central, so I've been rewatching.

That 70s Show holds up really well until the post marriage plotline seasons. Eric bumming around is a fine idea for his arc, but his personality being simplified to "cowardly dick who likes Star Wars" is obnoxious. The final season, though, is genuinely one of the worst seasons of TV I have ever seen, including South Park S19, Boondocks S4 (made without the show creator), and even most Chuck Lorre sitcoms like Big Bang Theory. I hate that hack, but the last season is nothing but jokes even Lorre would pass on. Randy, the new guy, is barely a character, half of the cast have clearly stopped trying, the celebrity guest appearances are distracting, and Fez is mistakenly upgraded from comedic relief with Eric and Kelso gone. Jakie X Fez isn't a terrible idea but goddamn if the show misses out on doing anything actually interesting with them.

Scrubs has held up better, despite a general vibe of homophobia and racism coming from some running jokes between Turk and JD. I'm not going to rag on it too much, since often the punchline is that JD is a dumb white guy (the Dr. Acula recording bit was aces at making that clear), but since I've come out, a lot of the guy love stuff and a few jokes based around people who don't fit into the gender binary kind of make me go "ehhhh come on."

But that's not a huge problem. It's still one of my favorite comedy shows. The cast is just stellar, especially the guys playing Kelso, the Janitor, and Dr. Cox. The show gets timing better than most anyone else, and still manages a ton of great, very human story lines dealing with death, loss, grief, guilt, insecurity, and how people try dealing with stuff like this in very flawed ways. So far, my favorite moments have been a patient thanking the Janitor for just being the only person to talk to him when he couldn't communicate back, Kelso stepping out of the hospital and not being able to hide his guilt over a call that resulted in a man's death, and

Spoiler warning:
    Carla saying goodbye to a dying Nurse Roberts.

Also I really have to give props to Donald Faison and Zach Braff. Remember when Zach Braff actually had fun before he decide to make a bunch of boring wealthy white people problems movies? His best work is hammy or playing up inferiority. I hope Faison gets some good roles soon, his resume has been pretty weak since Scrubs ended. He's a damn good actor.

Thanks

I'm a brony so i watch MLP.

Thanks

Well mostly I prefer the older shows of which I have many available to watch... I am watching the following ..

Air Wolf
    Rat Patrol
    Hogan's Heroes
    McHales Navy
    Magnum PI

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OK KO: Let's Be Heroes!

Cartoon Network's newest show, and it's great. It's sort of like Steven Universe S1, but trading the shojo/magical girl aesthetics for Mega Man/80s Shonen Fight Show stylings. KO is a great lead, really innocent but determined kid, and the older cast around him already have a surprising amount of layers and definition to them in just a handful of episodes. If you're looking for another CN show to pull an Adventure Time or Steven Universe and become thematically deep with surprisingly dark lore, this is probably going to be it. There's already hints at bigger things building, like KO not having a dad or the robot teens having an emotionally abusive creator, and the world building set up so far leaves a lot of room for expansion.

But it also works fantastically just as an episodic comedy, especially with all the stuff this world can do. Wacky kaiju fights, chasing around a wizard, exploring a randomly generated dungeon filled with mimics, and so, so much more. The animation is also some of the best on the channel at points. The Dino Dad episode is a stand out so far, as whoever was in charge of that episode's fight really had fun with gross body visuals and exaggerated expressions. This is definitely going to be CN's next stand-out show, no question.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Voltron: The Third Dimension, a series that makes the first season or so of ReBoot look like a masterpiece of CGI.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

IMPORTANT OK KO UPDATE

ONE OF THE CHARACTERS CANONICALLY READS NARUTO X SAUSKE DOUJINS

THEY SHOWED THE COVER WITH BOTH OF THEM KISSING AND THAT GOT ON AIR

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Thanks

The Defenders from Netflix

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Rewatched the first four episodes of Mr. Bean for the first time in... god, at least 20 years.

They're still amazing.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Watched One Punch man. Then I watched it again. Then the special episodes. Then I watched the first season again, dubbed in english, just because.

I want the second season now, plx.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Been watching that new Vietnam war documentary. On the third ep right now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Marathoned American Gods a couple of weeks ago with my partner. Has been years and years since I read the book, so I can't really comment on how good an adaptation it is, but I really enjoyed it for what it was, and will definitely watch the next series. Though it was really, really weird to see Ricky Whittle in the lead role, given that he had an extremely significant role for many years over here on Hollyoaks, the most ridiculous of ridiculous British TV soaps. :'D He wasn't even bad at all, but he was the last person I imagined as Shadow when I was reading the book, and it took me quite a while to stop seeing him as Calvin Valentine.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Rick and Morty Season 3

About to finish the season tonight, and I think it's the strongest the show has ever been. This whole season has been about really exploring the broken main cast, their problems and how they're slowly overcoming them, even Rick. It's subtle, but everyone is starting to act in ways they never would have in the previous seasons, especially Rick and Morty themselves. The weakest episodes were probably the superhero spoof episode, because its commentary was poorly targeted and murky, while the Citadel episode was great ongoing plot arc stuff, but trying to portray the complex realities of racism and Capitalistic dehumanization with Ricks and Mortys was a pretty tone deaf idea that detooths the issues presented a LOT.

For strongest, definitely Pickle Rick, which hit it out of the park with the therapist scenes (and I'd argue it actually did affect Rick significantly), followed by Morty's Mindblowers and Jerry's Adventure. I was not expecting the show to actually explore how Jerry is a bit of a predator, and it goes about it without erasing Rick's shortcomings. Every single character has made at least one small step forward, despite how despicable every single one of them tend to be, setting things up for a strong redemption arc in season four - or maybe something a bit more soul crushing.

Now if only the fanbase wasn't made up of real life Ricks without the intelligence. Oh my god they are the most annoying people on the planet Earth I swear.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Watched the first 2 episodes of Star Trek Discovery the other day. Wasn't nearly as bad as I expected really.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Finished of that new Vietnam war documentary miniseries. Phew it's long. 10 eps at 1.5-2 hours each!

Some interesting stuff in there. Go Murica!

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Watched the first 2 episodes of Star Trek Discovery the other day. Wasn't nearly as bad as I expected really.
    Oh think the 3rd episode is on tonight too!
    Last edited by Zaladane; 2nd-October-2017 at 02:19.