Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ReRise From Your Stasis Chamber (Or: Ray attempts to recover his MMZ LP)*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

And now for the moment you've all been waiting for: The home stretch. A three part dungeon that concludes the game. It's all downhill from here. By which i mean it either becomes a complete joke if you said "to hell with ranks" and upgraded, or, if you're like me, it becomes a brick fucking wall due to the game becoming a huge dick.

TO NEO ARCADIA!

----

Last time on Megaman Zero: Zero fended off an invasion of Neo Arcadians lead by Hanumachine, while the majority of the resistance evacuated. Once Hanumachine is felled, Zero makes plans to strike back at Neo Arcadia, however getting in is near impossible. Just then, a cyber elf appears and opens up a shortcut that leads right to the inner sanctum of Neo Arcadia. After asking that Zero eliminate the copy of it, much to Ciel's shock, it vanished. Zero then departs, ready to end this war

Alright, so the brief for this mission was pretty much contained in the last update as it's part of the conclusion to the Hanumachine incident. Also, note that you can now go back to the other areas to clean up cyber elves (for the sake of readability, I'll be lumping them together with the NA Part 1 elves). But on the way out, let's check in on some of our fellow resistors.

Zero, I was scared...! Ciel wasn't injured, was she?

Zero, what's going to happen to our base next? I don't want to be deported back to Neo Arcadia,

Nothing too interesting. I'd talk to Dande, but nobody likes Dande

Hello son. Are you all right?

If I were a little younger, I would kick their butts, or toes...

I envy young Reploids... I wish I were a few years younger...

One sometimes wonders why someone who's been essentially given immortality would opt to remain old, especially when he's constantly wishing he were younger. Surely the aging process is reversable...

Thank goodness! Zero, are you alright? I thought I was doomed... Thank you for saving us, Zero...

I'm fine, thank you. It could have been worse. Is everyone okay? You don't need to worry about me and my laboratory anymore. You should go check Ciel.

Yeah, there's a lot of subtext there. And oh god, does it ever get worse before it gets better.

Anywho, let's get to that video, shall we? Just head to the trans server and that'll take us right up to this point:

That's boss gauntlet 1 (OF TWO) down. Make sure to note how this area has several classic Wily Castle vibes and GODDAMNED BIRDS to go with it

No post mission dialogue that isn't located in the base this time. And I'll keep that for Neo Arcadia Part 2

----

And now comes the fun part: The single largest Cyber Elf cleanup I've undertaken. Two of the most elf filled levels in the game, cleaned up together. It also features 2 of the most bastard hard elves to acquire. Aren't we lucky?

---

First up, let's head ot Leviathan's level. But on the way, let's make a brief detour to take the long neglected HP+ cyber elf:

Pretty simple, it's just largely hidden from view by the perspective. Once you know it's there, how to get it pretty much speaks for itself (climb ladder, dash jump, slash the container).

Now onto the hidden base itself:

First, go into the water and go underneath both subs. All the way to the left. Remember this:

Yeah, just slide down that wall until you hit the gap. Nice and easy. This however:

Is unquestionably the HARDEST FUCKING ELF IN THE GAME TO GET. And to make matters worse, it requires precise timing and resetting takes about 10 seconds or so. INFURIATING. So, how do you do it? Hop onto the higheset part of the sub. Now we just wait until the tide hits the highest point. Now we dash jump, TURN IN MIDAIR, and grab onto the right side of it. THEN IMMEDIATELY JUMP AGAIN SINCE ONLY THE VERY TIPS OF YOUR FINGERS/SPRITE/HITBOX ARE TOUCHING THE PLATFORM AND YOU'LL SLIDE OFF IF YOU'RE EVEN SLIGHTLY OFF. After that, we just keep climbing the wall until we get high enough to dash jump off it and hit that platform. Our reward? An HP healing elf. Just like the other 798073243 ones we have. I shit you not.

Fortunately, the rest are just a bunch of ladder climbing where we check out the cells from Blizzack's level:

Take note that the cells all have numbering. 1 is the first floor, 2 is the second, and 3 is the third. Duh, I know. The ladder we come in on is just to the left of this one, and it's the first floor. The other elf is just up the ladder to the left of where we came in, and up a ladder just to the left of that. Seen rather easily in the level video.

That long hallway should provide a very good landmark for where this is. Again, pretty simple. Just take your time and check each area and you should have no problem getting these even without help.

And now, we head back to Neo Arcadia part 1 (yes, you can backtrack to individual parts of Neo Arcadia)

First up, remember that section with the moving platforms near where we fought the Pantheon Aces (Purple jetpack soldiers)?

Yeah, there's another platform hidden down there. Just wait for the last one to go all the way down, then leap onto it. To activate it, I recommend just using the Saber combo, since the hits tend to do ground damage, triggering the platform. Once it gets far enough to the left, dash jump off. That'll land you onto the roof of the building filled with those rotating electro balls. There's 2 elves here, both pretty useless, but it's all part of 100% completion.

Now we head through the Pantheon Ace area for our next ones. Head all the way to the left and we'll come to this:

Forgive the misleading image, this isn't the proper way to get it. The real way to do this is to dash jump and fall straight down the hole, then once you're clear of the wall, hold right until you land on the platform. Wallsliding isn't involved at all, as you'll actually fall short of the platform doing this. Physics be damned. Alternatively, you can keep letting off buster shots as you fall, break the container, then wait for the elf to make its way to you. As for where you end up, it's just before the electro ball room on the first floor, so misses can be rather costly. Which makes this a rather unpleasant elf to grab.

Once we get back to the second floor, we head to this area:

Remember those floating enemies? Remember the pogo stick triple rod trick? Yeah, apparently they had to set an elf pair around it. Wait for the timing to sync up properly so that they're in the correct general area. Then dash jump, and hit down+attack to start a bounce, then try to keep it going until you hit the roof. It's probably going to take several tries and a hell of a lot of practice. Fortunately, falling doesn't have much of a penalty (aside from having to wait for enemy positions to be in the right spots again), and the enemies respawn. Once we hit that, there's two more elves in the bag, since they made sure to group some of the elves in this level.

And finally, let's end things off with the third area. Go through the room where we fought Asura Basara and climb the vanishing platform blocks until we hit the last section:

Just get on top of the second block (the one used to hit the last stretch to Herculious) then do a blind dash leap off to the left. Hopefully you land on top of or on the side of the platform over there. Once on top, just do a slash combo. From there, it gets rather annoying. The lack of any real background detail means we have to pretty much estimate our location. I recommend going back and forth a time or two to get an idea of where you are and how long it takes. Once you're confident, make another blind dashing leap off and cross your fingers. If all goes according to plan, you'll hit the roof of Asura's boss chamber and the final cyber elf for this area.

And that's not only the last cyber elf for this cleanup, but the final cyber elf in all the cleanups, as the ones in Neo Arcadia Tower are all acquired in the next video, and those will complete our collection. You may begin applauding.

----

And that does it for this update. In the next update we delve further into Neo Arcadia in search of X.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This penultimate level brought to you by the letter "spikes" and the number "elevator".

----

Zero...Promise me that you will not try to push yourself too hard... If something happens to you, I can't... Just please promise me.

Zero is a total love machine. But it appears that's making Ciel a little short on the talky talky. So let's check in on some of our associates...

Watchng you fight has made me realize that the most important thing is not to give up hope!

Yeah, WATCHING me fight. How about helping sometime? It'll burn some serious calories, fatty.

I'll never give up until the day Ciel can smile and laugh from the bottom of her heart.

Apparently, Zero has some competition for Ciel's heart. Boy, do we have our work cut out for us /sarcasm

I'm not designed for combat, so I can't assist you. But remember that I'm praying for you.

You know who else wasn't built for combat? The original megaman. And to some extent X. And yet they did shit. Hell, even Roll manages to do a thing or two.

Zero...

Yes? What? .... Oh, this is another one of those "say a person's name then say nothing" things that the japanese are so fond of. *sigh*

Hello, son. You know what? I heard it was a red Reploid who saved us and our base. You should take a leaf out of his book, and be a hero like him.

Either Andrew is slow, colorblind, or he's running senility.exe.

A legendary Reploid... I wonder what he looks like. I'd like to catch a glimpse of him.

Yeah, definitly senility.exe. I'm guessing it was a bonus of his latest age modification upgrade. SO LIFELIKE!

I'm proud to have helped a Reploid like you.

I hope you continue to support the Resistance.

*yawn* This is boring. Let's go back to Neo Arcadia and kill some shit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Forgive the split, the forum image limits are once more causing issues with this LP. Curse you dialogue and my desire to catalog it here where no one reads it!

----

Ciel... What made you come here...?

Is it for a "hero's sendoff"?

I... I'm sorry... It's... It was I who recreated the duplication of X... That's why...

Oh right, the whole "I ended a shitload of lives and created the fascist dictatorship that is currently in the process of murdering us all." thing. How could I forget!?

You don't have to apologize. It's not your fault. You did it because you thought it would be good for everyone... Please just leave everything to me now.

Yeah, how were you to know that handing over sole control of the world to a machine would be a bad thing? Or that said machine being free to do whatever it wants would backfire? Or that not putting in a failsafe is a very bad idea? I mean, all those science fiction movies are surely not intended to be cautionary tales.

Zero, thank you...

And with that level, our cyber elf list is now complete. (sorta...)

As is the boss chart posted earlier:

What do you say we head back to base to chew the fat with some of the random NPCs kicking about back there, before we head off into the sunset one last time?

Zero, don't leave us... You will stay here with us, won't you?

Magic 8 ball says.... "Outlook not so good". Well there you go.

Zero, they say that a human would shed tears over a situation like this...

Alouette's cuteness levels could make Wily himself "dawww" and give up on global conquest.

Hello, son. You look much stronger than when you first arrived. It may just be my imagination, but you look very familiar... Am I hallucinating?

Looks like someone took the blue acid. Wait, can reploids even build muscle mass? Surely he is speaking in less direct terms than something like that.

A legendary Reploid... I wonder what he looks like. I'd like to catch a glimpse of him.

Oh great, grampa's caught in one of his dialogue loops again. Better head to the debug menu...

Zero... Since you came to this place, I've regained my confidence both as a scientist and engineer.

Why does this sound like a love confession from a sappy romance?

I want to develop more weapons for you... Come back alive, Zero.

and it gets worse.

I look forward to your safe return.

Dammit Cerveau, you better not be getting a crush on me. The last thing I need is some homolust.

I'm so glad I got to know you! Though I don't know if you feel the same way about me. Hmm, I don't know what I'm saying...

Oh god, oh god, oh god....

What I meant was... Simply... Always be my friend...

FUCK THIS SHIT. I am so getting out of here before this guy tries to mount me.

----

Any of you wondering just how much Zero can be upgraded with the now complete elf list? Wonder no more!

Keep in mind that a lot of the large elves can be acquired before even the first guardian fight. (3/4 of the HP+ elves (above the arc, disposal center, the lab ruins), the HPx2 elf (factory), no spikes (train), and defense boost (hidden base)). Yeah, this game is really easy if you upgrade Zero. Otherwise, it can be rather challenging.

And that does it for this update. Be sure to check back later for the final chapter of this LP, the showdown between the legends X and Zero. Oh, and since this is capcom, you all know what's coming up. The dread is palpable. Peace out. .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The time has come. X must die.

----

I'm happy that I could meet you... If it were not for you, everyone would be gone by now... ...... Promise me that you will come back alive. Even if you cannot destroy Neo Arcadia, I just want you to be able to return safely. Good luck...

Be sure to enjoy the hilarity that we're a red armored horned creature that comes from underground who just woke up from a century long sleep battling a multi winged angel/god high above the earth in a place filled with people brought back from the dead.

A non commentary version of the ending, if you'd prefer to do your own reading. I'd do some screenshots, but it flows better if you see it in motion.

----

And that's the end of that. OR IS IT? Only time will tell.

In any case, there is an unlisted reward for clearing the game:

Meet Jackson. For clearing the game with all of the elves intact and unused (since using them causes them to DIE) you get this interesting little fellow. If you raise him to max level then use him, you can make yourself temporarily invincible by holding the jump button. He also opens the door to ultimate mode if you use up all the elves (jackson included). All in all, a really useful elf.

Zero 1 was overall a pretty fun and interesting game, but it suffers from a lot of bland level design and at times annoying game elements. And the only major plot element is pretty obvious, and they don't spend much time really dealing with it.

"the villain is X!"
    "Okay"
    "Wait, the villain isn't X! X is actually that mysterious cyber elf!"
    "Okay.".

The other one, namely that Ciel is responsible for everything, is completely brushed off. And they never really get into the nuts and bolts of how all of this works (although seemingly they intended to do that in the sequels). Plus, the only real thing that sets it apart from the X series (the cyber elves) are completely blocked off from your use if you want to play for ranks, and if you use it the whole game becomes a bit of a joke. Especially since hard mode is locked by default.

The leveling feature can be rather uneven, since you can max out the weapons by grinding, at which point you're overpowered as hell. And if you forgo that, you're probably going to have a hell of a time dealing with early bosses. Furthermore, grinding becomes completely necessary when elves get involved, since you get nowhere near enough crystals to max all of them. And even with picking and choosing it's unlikely you'll get more than a few fully leveled.

As for the "everything is on one map" concept, it's not especially noticeable because you spend the bulk of the game in small linear levels in the corners of this map. This feature ends up being removed from the zero series after this point, but it does come back in ZX, with mixed results (some people love it, some hate it).

The enemy designs and various game elements could have used some variation. You'll frequently hear the same few BGMs, run through very similar looking areas, and fight the same enemies in all areas. The platforming is almost nonexistent and the bosses can feel a little unimpressive.

But on the plus side, it's got all that nice X series gameplay with some added bells and whistles, a half decent plot, and you can take this game with you wherever you go. And they appeared focused on removing some of the stagnation that the megaman series suffers from, while also keeping a lot of the stuff that made it fun/popular in the first place, even if the execution was a little flawed. Thankfully something that became a little more widespread than just this entry.

So in essence, it's a good game with a couple of rough edges that could have used work.

Fortunately, the series didn't end here, and they actually got around to improving the series. And between the 3 sequels, you're bound to find your own idea of what the perfect formula is.

As for the sequels to this LP, they'll be coming out soon enough. But for now, I have my sights set on another game.

As for further videos to help wrap up this LP, they'll come when they come.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just for the sake of completion, I went back and took out the boss of the intro level without resorting to the one hit kill Z Saber:

And since I feel it's necessary to go out on a high note, LET'S TEAR THIS GAME A NEW ONE. Good night everybody! /END LP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

WOW this is crazy!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The crazier part is that Gare was actually capable of recovering this whole thing.

Much love Gare.

Much love.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wow!