Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gare plays Thief - Deadly Shadows (aka lol dat accent)*

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Gare plays Thief - Deadly Shadows (aka lol dat accent)*

Link to my YT channel: click

INDEED. But before we begin, something semi-important if you're seeing this thread for the first time: if you're wondering why it's just a bunch of videos one after the other (posted on the same day, even), wonder no more. The original thread for this playthrough was created around September, 2010, and took me about a month to finish. Sadly, it was lost/deleted during a forum rollback when our server crashed in December, 2010. So yeah, this is just reconstructed version of the original thread, based on what I could salvage from Google's cache. That's why all the comments are missing, and why the updates were all posted on basically the same day. Anyway, back to the actual game:

So, Thief 3 is an awesome game and all that, but you guys are too lazy to play it yourselves, so I really had no choice but to do this. With some snazzy live commentary, of course.

In this first episode of our dark fantasy thieving extravaganza, we listen to Gare's hilarious* European accent, we look at awesome shadows, we squish rats and molest cats, all while stealing massive amounts of shiny loot. And for some reason the video is a lot darker than it should be. Will have to crank up my brightness/gamma/whatever next time, it seems. Or I dunno. This is my very first attempt at this, so cut me some slack. In the meantime, deal with it.

*It's actually really cute. Chicks dig it, I swear.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Chapter 0 - Opening Cinematic
    Chapter 1 - The Blue Heron Inn
    Chapter 2 - Rutherford Castle
    Chapter 3 - South Quarter
    Chapter 3.5 - Pavelock Prison
    Chapter 4 - Stonemarket
    Chapter 5 - St. Edgar's Church
    Chapter 6 - Pagan Sanctuary
    Chapter 7 - The Keeper Library
    Chapter 8 - The Docks
    Chapter 9 - The Abysmal Gale
    Chapter 10 - The Sunken Citadel
    Chapter 11 - The Overlook Mansion
    Chapter 12 - The Clocktower
    Chapter 13 - Old Quarter
    Chapter 13.5 - Fort Ironwood
    Chapter 14 - The Keeper Compound
    Chapter 15 - Auldale
    Chapter 16 - The Shalebridge Cradle
    Chapter 17 - Gamall's Lair (spoiler) click here to go to the chapter
    Chapter 18 - Wieldstrom Museum
    Chapter 19 - The Final Battle; Epilogue

EXTRAS:

Rutherford Castle Outtake - Gare's a robot.
    South Quarter Outtake - MORE DOTS
    Stonemarket Bonus Footage - Stonemarket bloodbath.
    Clocktower Outtake - Garrett falling to his death - just the usual.

The Blue Heron Inn

Brief introduction:

The actual mission:

And here's the opening cinematic of the game. So you understand what the hell I'm talking about in the video: this was recorded several days after I started this playthrough. Should've done it earlier, but I kinda-sorta forgot about it. The images that flash in now and then during the video are from the previous two games.

Last edited by Gare; 23rd-December-2010 at 13:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright. Time to invade Rutherford Castle. Here's a brand new chapter in which we kill guards with headshots, talk about me not liking Fallout 3, encounter strange bugs and listen to me referencing other games I'm currently playing.

Oh, and I hit chicks with my blackjack and attempt to set the cook on fire. Yeah, me and servants don't get along.

Rutherford Castle

And a silly outtake!

In the next chapter (if it ever happens), we'll end up inside Garret's home, and we'll explore the city a bit. Which will, naturally, include breaking into our neighbours' homes and stealing all their valuables.
    Last edited by Gare; 22nd-December-2010 at 01:43.

Thanks
    EP Points

Silly outtake from the upcoming chapter. Did it for shits and giggles, but decided not to include it in the actual playthrough.

Thanks
    EP Points

So, I have successfully explored and looted the city's South Quarter. This isn't an actual mission, though (so ignore my first words in the intro video ), just me running around the city and looting people's homes, so it's probably a less... exciting update, for lack of a better word. While the previous games were just a series of missions, one after the other, Thief 3 is different in a way that it allows you to run around and explore the city between missions. Which is pretty cool. Anyway:

South Quarter

The next update is still not a mission. We're off to the city's next district, Stonemarket. It's a somewhat livelier place compared to South Quarter, so huzzah, I guess.

Or alternatively, I might decide to do the Pavelock Prison "bonus" mission, just to get it out of the way. We'll see.

Thanks
    EP Points

So I've decided to do the optional mission instead of going straight to Stonemarket. So yeah, we get locked up in jail. And we break out immediately. The Pavelock Prison is but a trivial obstacle for one such as Garrett. Also, I rescue an imprisoned maiden, because being a gentleman comes first.

OH, AND BY THE WAY. I've included a Table of Contents in the first post to make it easier to find each chapter.

Pavelock Prison

Next stop is Stonemarket. No, really.

Thanks
    EP Points

Stonemarket ahoy! The place where shit hits the fan. Unexpected things happen, people die and as usual, the City Watch is out there to make life even more miserable for us.

Stonemarket

And yes, during the cutscene at the end of Part 5, that gargoyle in the background did move. This will have some significance later on, so keep it in mind. Oh, and if my silly Batman analogy does not please you, here's the Wiki page for the Keepers, for those who wish to learn more about the Thief universe. Also, here's some background info on the strange fish-people living under the City - the Kurshoks.

Next time, we explore a Hammerite stronghold in search of fame and fortune. But mostly fortune.

Thanks
    EP Points

Bonus footage:

-Poor Gravid gets murdered by the angry mob, but mostly by a stray arrow shot by Garrett himself. He swears it was an accident.

-We witness the most effective weapon of the City Watch, the Angry Fist Shake!

-"Now that's what I call a good day!" - famous last words, right there.

Stonemarket Bloodbath

Thanks
    EP Points

In this giganto-update of 7 parts, we secure our place in Hell by stealing from the local religious crazies, the Hammerites. We also spectacularly mess up a carefully planned "death from above" assassination, we get lost and we make perverted jokes. And we talk briefly about game designer Chris Taylor. And for your own sake, do not look up the hag or Drept or Lauryl on the Thief wiki. Because, you know, spoilers.

St. Edgar's Church

In the next update, we visit the Pagans, worshippers of the Trickster, and the official tree huggers of the Thief universe. They also talk in a really funny way. Like they were Lolcats or something.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's time for an update. I have three words for you - I love mines.

That is all.

Pagan Sanctuary

Thanks
    EP Points

Rambling time! Chapter 7 - the update that's twice as long as it should be because I can't shut my mouth when it comes to bashing Twilight.

The Keeper Library

Next time, the Faction system is introduced, which I've already mentioned during the Pagan mission. Also, we explore the Docks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, time for some Docks action. And reputation grinding. And the Terranigma main theme! YES.

The Docks

Next time, we're gonna blast some zombies onboard the Abysmal Gale.

Thanks
    EP Points

In this short but sweet chapter, I use every possible tool at my disposal to rid the world of the undead.

The Abysmal Gale

Next time, we're visiting our good friends, the Kurshoks, in their Sunken Citadel. Except they're not really our friends. Bonkings will ensue.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, so here's the Sunken Citadel update, in which I become a tourist guide with expert knowledge on the Kurshok civilization and culture. Also, silly things happen and I manage to embarrass myself some more. Just the usual stuff.

The Sunken Citadel

Next time, it's- HOLY SHIT WE CAN FINALLY VISIT THE OVERLOOK MANSION.

Yeah.

Thanks
    EP Points

Here's the Overlook Mansion chapter, in which I ramble about all sorts of random things including Starcraft 2, BlazBlue and Stan Bush. Because Stan Bush is awesome.

IT'S ALSO THE LONGEST UPDATE EVER. Evarr, even. Not because the mission itself is that long - I simply love this area so much that I take my sweet time playing through it.

The Overlook Mansion

Next time, we destroy the Clocktower.

Thanks
    EP Points

Time to sabotage us a Clocktower. Also, I unleash my full arsenal on the poor Hammerites.

The Clocktower

In the next update, we explore Old Quarter and meet the Keeper Enforcers.

But before we get to that part - outtake!