Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kid dies imitating Gaara

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Eh, I was going to say something about Avatar being a possible motivator, but even though the main character can manipulate earth, I don't quite remember him ever burying himself in it. Then again, I've seen like...one episode, so what the fuck do I know?

Thanks
    EP Points

Millions of children grow up seeing violent cartoons and stuff like what that kid saw, yet we don't see this kind of shit all that frequently. I doubt the anime is to blame, really. Ok, it might have given the kid a stupid idea, but he's the one who went through with it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh, that's understood. I was getting at the possibility that maybe Naruto wasn't his motivation, not that the kid wasn't stupid for following through on whatever his motivation actually ended up being.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion View Post
    Oh, that's understood. I was getting at the possibility that maybe Naruto wasn't his motivation, not that the kid wasn't stupid for following through on whatever his motivation actually ended up being.
    Oh, my bad. I don't watch anime, so that went way the fuck over my head.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by alucard19 View Post
    we know you don't have any sympathy for him or anyone else,I mean how could you when u said something so fucked up?
    While Hypnos was a little bit blunt, and I probably wouldn't go so far as to say something like that myself, I don't think it's an indication of a lack of compassion or sympathy as a whole on his part. He's simply making a very valid point. It's hard to be sympathetic here when, unless you happen to have several tons of sand dropped on you all at once, suffocating in a sandbox is...not exactly the sort of thing that should ever happen by accident.

Don't get me wrong, I actually get pretty upset hearing stories like this, and can't even begin to imagine the feeling of loss his parents must be going through... I'm not about to joke or make light of the situation. But you've got to wonder at how a kid that age could not realise that lack of oxygen = very, very bad. Or, if we assume that he was simply lacking in common sense (as, to be fair, I was too at that age), why one of his friends didn't stop and point it out? Or even why his parents let him play unattended in a sandbox, knowing that he was, presumably, not the sharpest tool in the shed of common sense? As far as I'm concerned, if your child doesn't know that sticking their hand into fire will get them burned, you don't let them go near fire until they do.

So yeah, as upsetting as it is, I think it's hard to view this as a tragedy so much as just carelessness. It's a tragedy when a maniac breaks into a school and shoots a bunch of defenseless kids. It's a tragedy when someone gets plastered, gets behind the wheel, and mows down a mother and her three-year-old daughter. This, though? It's sad, but only sad in that it so easily could have been averted. So I can see where Hypnos is coming from, and I don't think you should be so quick to equate his comments with some sort of absolute lack of compassion on his part.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by alucard19 View Post
    Not everyone that comes to an english speaking website speaks english for their first Langage!
    No, but I'd assume anyone from Virginia would speak English as their first language. Or at least speak it fluently

</spam>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    While Hypnos was a little bit blunt, and I probably wouldn't go so far as to say something like that myself, I don't think it's an indication of a lack of compassion or sympathy as a whole on his part. He's simply making a very valid point. It's hard to be sympathetic here when, unless you happen to have several tons of sand dropped on you all at once, suffocating in a sandbox is...not exactly the sort of thing that should ever happen by accident.

Don't get me wrong, I actually get pretty upset hearing stories like this, and can't even begin to imagine the feeling of loss his parents must be going through... I'm not about to joke or make light of the situation. But you've got to wonder at how a kid that age could not realise that lack of oxygen = very, very bad. Or, if we assume that he was simply lacking in common sense (as, to be fair, I was too at that age), why one of his friends didn't stop and point it out? Or even why his parents let him play unattended in a sandbox, knowing that he was, presumably, not the sharpest tool in the shed of common sense? As far as I'm concerned, if your child doesn't know that sticking their hand into fire will get them burned, you don't let them go near fire until they do.

So yeah, as upsetting as it is, I think it's hard to view this as a tragedy so much as just carelessness. It's a tragedy when a maniac breaks into a school and shoots a bunch of defenseless kids. It's a tragedy when someone gets plastered, gets behind the wheel, and mows down a mother and her three-year-old daughter. This, though? It's sad, but only sad in that it so easily could have been averted. So I can see where Hypnos is coming from, and I don't think you should be so quick to equate his comments with some sort of absolute lack of compassion on his part.
    Meet Ed. The voice of sanity in this place.

I was going to post something down the same line of thought but I'd just look stupid now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    No, but I'd assume anyone from Virginia would speak English as their first language. Or at least speak it fluently

</spam>
    Bam! :Iron Man: /109 hit combo

It's a shame the ten year old wasn't smart enough to see the danger in this, and that the other kids who did the burying were, just...dumb.

Thanks

Out of psychological curiosity, I asked my four year old nephew whether he thought that it would be a good idea to be buried in his sandbox. He looked at me real funny, then said "Nooo, then you couldn't breave". Then, I re-assured him that it was a bad idea, just to be sure I didn't accidentally put the idea in his head.

If my four year old nephew is smart enough to realize that this is just stupid, then the ten year old has no excuse. Nor do his friends.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

I smell a Darwin Award.

Thanks

Gaara had a demon inside of him too. I wonder if this kid worshiped Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    You guy are welcome anytime We have bowling and Steak & Shake. Bring beer. I like beer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad View Post
    Gaara had a demon inside of him too. I wonder if this kid worshiped Satan.
    Yeah...Pagan, judgment-impaired, Anime-nerd 10 year olds for the win.

Seriously, as tragic as a child dying is, this is the perfect display of idiocy. Someone, call Hillary; give her this news story to piss and moan about so she can go on an anti-anime campaign and leave all of us underage gamers alone.

Anyone else sense a possible lawsuit against someone? My civil court-o-meter is twitching a bit.

Thanks

Story sad. Boo hoo. Could've been adverted. Kid lacked common sense, parents lacked it also. Maybe the parents get lucky with the next kid.

/Not loosing sleep. Got my own family and health problems to worry about.

Thanks

the kid wasn't actually imitating gaara he was imitating an ostridge because they went on a trip to the zoo the week before. its the teachers and parents fault for not telling the kid that ostridges don't actually bury their heads in the sand.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/218800.html
    interesting and on topic see i googled head in sand and this site came up so i searched kick the bucket and voila.

Thanks

Can the kids of today get any stupider! Really though someone should ask this question.
    I love tekken.