Thread: Xbox 360 Hardware problems.

Thanks

Default Xbox 360 Hardware problems.

I have a problem with my xbox 360, i want to try avoiding paying microsoft $100 to send it in and get it fixed, because my warranty is expired.

So, first off, diagnosis. The AV cables to my 360 work fine, and ive already eliminated any problems with the tv, i have tried HD-TV and regular TV both have the same result. So ive narrowed it down to hardware, most likely the video card.

When i turn on my 360, i get sound fine, but i get white lines that fade away and into a black screen when the xbox 360 logo is supposed to come on, when its supposed to go to the dashboard i get a black screen, and it looks as if little white dots are spinning from the left to right. ( i dont know if that would help anybody, but if anybody has had a problem like this please add your input.) I know the basics of computer hardware.

So i was wondering is there any tinkering i could do to fix my graphics card, to avoid buying a new 1? if anybody has a guide that would be greatly appreciated.

If not, then if there is any way to buy a new graphics card for the 360 (that would be cheaper than the $100 repair cost.) and just put it in myself. For instance if anybody knows the specs of the 360 graphics card and the manufacturer so i could go about getting 1 directly from them.

also note: i dont get the red rings of death. (for some reason).

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, can you not just force it to RROD and send it to M$? :/

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds like your video card is fried, literaly. It looks like your only option would be to get Microsoft to repair it. ATI isn't going to send you a card to replace it, and I don't think that there is really any way to repair a card.

Thanks

You won't be able to fix or replace anything, like really anything with surface-mount components. The first thing they'd do is throw it out and give you a new one since it would cost a lot less to replace than it would to fix.

Thanks
    EP Points

lol xboxes dont use 'cards'. it's no pc.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno_ View Post
    lol xboxes dont use 'cards'. it's no pc.
    I don't know about the Xbox360, but have you ever looked at the original Xbox?
    Last edited by Borman; 7th-March-2008 at 23:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't know about the Xbox360, but have you ever looked at the original Xbox?

Have you? It still doesnt use cards All surface mount chips. The CPU isnt even 100% off the shelf like most make it out to be
    I was implying both Xbox and Xbox 360's GPU are in the motherboard.

Thanks
    EP Points

That was me that said "
    Have you? It still doesnt use cards All surface mount chips. The CPU isnt even 100% off the shelf like most make it out to be "

Accidentally edited Josh's post somehow, that was weird