Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musician's Hangout

Thanks

Default Musician's Hangout

Figured this wasn't a bad idea, as there's a fair few musicians hanging around here. So, come in here to discuss your playing and ability, share your recordings/tabs, collaberate...anything really.

I'm in the middle of learning Face of Melinda, by Opeth; got the Acoustic bit down and will be moving onto the electric later on tonight. Fucking lovely song, so give it a listen If not just because you're curious, but so you can grade my playing of it when I record and post it

FUCKING DO IT

Thanks
    EP Points

Actually it's a great idea, I'll sticky this thread.

Been playing guitar for just shy of six years, I'll probably post some PODxt recordings when I get chance to hook it all up again. I'm nowhere near the level I should be due to being incredibly lazy for about half of that time, although that's something I'm trying to correct now. Playing in a band again would definitely help in that regard.

I spend a lot of time writing and playing my own stuff as opposed to other people's songs nowadays, but I'm currently learning Little Wing as well as teaching myself how to chicken pick.

Thanks

Lucky you Wish I had the talent to write stuff; unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, so everything I do gets deleted Really need to tune up on my theory too. I've only been playing just over a year, and only seriously for the last 4 months or so (and by serious, I mean twice a weeks or so), and its all self taught.

*googles chicken picking*

EDIT: Now I see

Thanks

I'm learning scar tissue atm. I've got the intro and verse nearly down but got stuck on the chorus. F chord

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SA-X View Post
    Lucky you Wish I had the talent to write stuff; unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, so everything I do gets deleted Really need to tune up on my theory too. I've only been playing just over a year, and only seriously for the last 4 months or so (and by serious, I mean twice a weeks or so), and its all self taught.

*googles chicken picking*

EDIT: Now I see
    Yeah, same here really. You need to keep at it though since it's something that can only get better with practice. I don't always like what I come up with but it's definitely improved over the past couple of years.

It might be worth getting lessons for a while. Although I had teachers on and off I was pretty much self-taught until we had to take lessons at college as part of a music course. I had a really good teacher last year but the course kept pressuring us into taking all these Rock School exams which was something I had zero interest in doing. I got up to grade 5 and just couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

Thanks

I've been playing for two years and a little my self. Currently working on making my sweeps sound cleaner and smoother, especially the harder more complex runs. I can do perfectly clean three string tapped sweeps and can run five strings and tap the last at a fairly decent speed though it gets a little muddy after a while. Will post a video or something when my Boss GT-5 arrives.

My current gear:
    Ibanez Xiphos (chameleon red)
    Boss GT-5 effects processor (should arrive in days)
    BC Rich L10 Amp (shitty amp I know, but it's only used for practice.)

Thanks
    EP Points

Damn, that Xiphos is a beast. How do you like it? I've just been looking through the spec sheet, it's great to see a sensibly priced neck-thru Ibanez with a mahagony body. I've never liked the basswood bodies they usually use on their sub-£1000 guitars.

Thanks

Oh well, time to share my story.

Back when I was 15 I met these guys at school, they were two year older than me, I liked the fact that they liked anything, the drummer made me hear "Rust In Peace", the lead guitarist and I shared our taste on Radiohead and the bassist liked Red Hot Chili Peppers. So yeah, I was pretty noobish in guitar back then but they taught me (the guitarist used to lent me a Epiphone Explorer. ) because they liked my "almost anything" tastes. Stuff happened, they moved back to their hometowns, and I had good memories of the times we played together. I saved money to buy a guitar of my own, I could only buy a cheap acoustic guitar, an accident happened (more like a fight, urgh, some fucker stomped my hand) and two weeks after buying it that happened.

After I recovered I couldn't practice because my hand still felt pain (I couldn't hold an F or a G for more than two seconds ) but some friend motivated me back in and I'm re-learning to play guitar. Right now I got this cheap acoustic guitar, which needs strings, but I'm aiming to get this Epiphone Les Paul I saw at about $280 bucks. I'm only good to play simple rhythm guitar on gigs with my friend, but that is helping me to get back to music.

/wall o' text

Thanks
    EP Points

Learning 'Carry on my Wayward Son' for my assesment in music. Was talking to the teacher about it, and he's like 'You'll need a fairly complex piece, and it needs a solo in it. Does this piece have a solo?' and I was all 'It has four ' He just sort of went 'Oh... Well. That should be good.'

lol It's a mad song.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

Playing Hangar 18 would be fucking awesome.

Then yell "this baby has nine, bitch!" after finishing it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    Playing Hangar 18 would be fucking awesome.

Then yell "this baby has nine, bitch!" after finishing it.
    Oh definitely.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Damn, that Xiphos is a beast. How do you like it? I've just been looking through the spec sheet, it's great to see a sensibly priced neck-thru Ibanez with a mahagony body. I've never liked the basswood bodies they usually use on their sub-£1000 guitars.
    It fucking slays man! It's perfect! What initially attracted me to the Xiphos was of course the shape (closest thing to Schuldiner's Stealth next to Jackson's Warrior), but I had an orgasm as soon as I played it. I used to think my KE-2 Kelly's neck was great until I held this.

/fanboyism.

But there is a minor bother.. The lower pin where you clip the strap is awkwardly placed. The guitar's neck tilts down if I wear a strap and leave it to its weight. I've heard alot of complaints about this thing on message boards, though many have stated that's fixable with a steady hand and a drill. Minor thing that I'd like to fix, but I wouldn't dare to bring a drill near the thing unless I knew exactly what I was doing.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, that sounds a bit extreme. Can't say I blame you for being hesitant. I know a lot of people duct-tape little strips of metal to their strap in order to correct unbalanced guitars, maybe give that a try?

Rectoverb came today, woo!
    Last edited by Cosmic; 29th-February-2008 at 20:16.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh, this thread is a nice idea, SA-X.

Umm...I play piano. Kind of badly. And clairsach. Also kind of badly. At the moment I'm not really playing very much on either besides random self compositions and silly videogame and anime songs. I did begin learning this Chopin nocturne a while back, though. Except for a few little bits here and there, it's not so tricky, but I thought it was pretty anyway:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2KkA1JlFs&feature=related

...I really shouldn't Youtube anything I'm learning on the piano. I just end up feeling bad. Damn you, eight year old girl! ;__;

Thanks
    EP Points

I used to play guitar as a little kid. I was just getting a hang of "Smoke over water" when my guitar's life was tragically cut short. Do I count as a musician?
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.