Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hangout

Thanks
    EP Points

I should pick myself up an external HDD. In other news, I've been coding off and on. Still looking for artists and stuff, or rather just one artist. I can't draw. Although my post is probably off topic. I recently installed Windows 7. Much better than Vista. Now if only I could get into linux.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So, lets talk RAM.
    I am building a PC and I want the best that I can afford. If the RAM I buy is DDR3 2133 (17000) what will I have to do on a mobo that states "2133(O.C.)"?
    Does this mean I must OC the RAM in BIOS or does this mean I can OC slower RAM up to 2133?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    So, lets talk RAM.
    I am building a PC and I want the best that I can afford. If the RAM I buy is DDR3 2133 (17000) what will I have to do on a mobo that states "2133(O.C.)"?
    Does this mean I must OC the RAM in BIOS or does this mean I can OC slower RAM up to 2133?
    Always consider what you want to do with it. I haven't seen a legitimate case for RAM at that speed for the cost of the RAM sticks. The middle of the road is 1600-1833 with 1600 being the best for your buck in terms of performance given.

With the case of your motherboard, it always depends on the chipset. If you plan on using something like an AM3 or FM1, most of the sticks are forced at 1333, then you have to manually set it to that. It's much easier than it used to be and with your experience using electronics, you'll only have to worry about custom motherboards from retail computers like Hewlett-Packer and Acer. They usually prevent you from tweaking the board to fit your needs.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    Always consider what you want to do with it. I haven't seen a legitimate case for RAM at that speed for the cost of the RAM sticks. The middle of the road is 1600-1833 with 1600 being the best for your buck in terms of performance given.

With the case of your motherboard, it always depends on the chipset. If you plan on using something like an AM3 or FM1, most of the sticks are forced at 1333, then you have to manually set it to that. It's much easier than it used to be and with your experience using electronics, you'll only have to worry about custom motherboards from retail computers like Hewlett-Packer and Acer. They usually prevent you from tweaking the board to fit your needs.
    I was just curious. I had long decided to go with 1866 becuase the mobo I like doesn't require O.C. on that speed. Most likely Gigabyte, but possibly Asus.
    I will be going with the FM1 becuase I can't justify the price of a add-on Graphics card right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I was just curious. I had long decided to go with 1866 becuase the mobo I like doesn't require O.C. on that speed. Most likely Gigabyte, but possibly Asus.
    I will be going with the FM1 becuase I can't justify the price of a add-on Graphics card right now.
    I've had a good experience with Biostar motherboards when it came to budget boards. I still believe you can justify it and I showed you examples previously. If you can afford $120 instead of the $100-110 for an A8, You can get a processor and add-on GPU.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dammit! I just read that the FM2's are supposed to come out some time soon....idk what to think about this...

Thanks

I told you that before. Not the FM2 piece, but FM1 are dirt cheap because they are tossing them soon and are incompatible with FM2. The difference in performance will be noticeable, but will cost way more than current FM1 prices. If you still use the FM1 model, go for an A6-35670k. It's $90+free shipping and should do everything you need it to do. The APU graphics isn't that much of a jump between A6 to A8, but it'll be slightly better from what I've experienced.

However, if you plan on spending close to $600 total, buy a stock computer when it's on sale. I saw in my local paper a Gateway A10 (the new FM2 socket) with 12 GB of RAM, 2 TB of storage for $599. That should fit more than your needs if you are just going to buy something basic like it seems you are.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I told you that before.
    You're not very clear about these things.
    Not the FM2 piece, but FM1 are dirt cheap because they are tossing them soon and are incompatible with FM2. The difference in performance will be noticeable, but will cost way more than current FM1 prices. If you still use the FM1 model, go for an A6-35670k. It's $90+free shipping and should do everything you need it to do. The APU graphics isn't that much of a jump between A6 to A8, but it'll be slightly better from what I've experienced.

However, if you plan on spending close to $600 total, buy a stock computer when it's on sale. I saw in my local paper a Gateway A10 (the new FM2 socket) with 12 GB of RAM, 2 TB of storage for $599. That should fit more than your needs if you are just going to buy something basic like it seems you are.
    Im only spending $350 total. I already have a chassis, keyboard, mouse, 21" monitor, a load of fans and am building it myself. 2TBs of storage is wildly overkill for me even counting all of my separate drives in two PCs and my Wii! I was going with a 120GB SSD for system files and such. My music was going to stay on my old HDD.
    The deal you mentioned is pretty good, given it comes with a monitor. Maybe I will just wait until the FM2's are publically availble to make a decision. So far, I have found zero sources to actually buy one like you say you have.

Also just read that some of the MOBO's that are now FM2 compatible, ASRock for example, have moved back to Hudson D2 for the chipset. The board in question was just microATX, but thats no excuse. Now I am getting mixed feelings about the FM's in general because they have been quoted as GPU > CPU where-in the GPU out performs the CPU half. THe money I set aside for my desktop build is slowly dwindling away so I wanna blow it soon.

Thanks

Sorry for being a jerk. It was a Frys ad.

The FM1+2 isn't bad, it just doesn't have much of an upgradable future. They work great and I'm please with the POS A4-3400. It does everything I want, so if you are like me and want a system that does medium to low gaming plus multimedia, it'll do the trick. Just don't expect to replace any of the main parts. It's meant as a set it and forget it computer.

If you need advice on other parts, I'll list out prices and stuff to help speed up the process. The intel route is still a good option though, that g620 is compatible with the Sandy+Ivy bridge sockets so that'll be great for upgrading later. It'll help to know exactly what you want to do with it. That'll be the deciding factor in making the most educated suggestion for you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm posting it in right thread but I have hardware question.

I'm planing to buy ASRock P67 PRO 3 B3 mainboard with i7 3770K CPU and I don't know which RAM will be best for this combo. Only thing I know for sure is that I want 2x 4GB. Is voltage important? My friend told me that 1.5V is better than 1.65V. Also this mainboard supports DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066. Can I use 'normal' 1866Mz memory with it or 1600 OCed to 1866? I'm buying in this store http://www.x-kom.pl/c/1107-pamieci-ddram3.html will you help me to choose best memory from those available here? How about G.Skill Ares DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 or Corsair 8192MB 1866MHz Dominator GT CL9?

Thanks

Thanks

how much is a mac?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm posting it in right thread but I have hardware question.

I'm planing to buy ASRock P67 PRO 3 B3 mainboard with i7 3770K CPU and I don't know which RAM will be best for this combo. Only thing I know for sure is that I want 2x 4GB. Is voltage important? My friend told me that 1.5V is better than 1.65V. Also this mainboard supports DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066. Can I use 'normal' 1866Mz memory with it or 1600 OCed to 1866? I'm buying in this store http://www.x-kom.pl/c/1107-pamieci-ddram3.html will you help me to choose best memory from those available here? How about G.Skill Ares DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9 or Corsair 8192MB 1866MHz Dominator GT CL9?

Thanks
    As far as I know, it won't make a big difference on the memory speed once you're past the standard. Will Newegg ship to you, 'cause the price on the site you linked to look kinda high .

Thanks
    EP Points

Those prices are pretty low. They're in Polish Zlotys not in Euros and 1€ = 4ZL. Also I will have 20% discount.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Yamcha1 View Post
    I saw those when I was looking earlier but this system from my uncle's basement can't handle XP, So are those drivers gonna work on this 2000?.
    I'm not sure, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    Those prices are pretty low. They're in Polish Zlotys not in Euros and 1€ = 4ZL. Also I will have 20% discount.
    That makes a lot more sense. You may as well get 8GB 2133, the price will be pretty good after that discount.