Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hangout

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    Probably a silly question, but does anyone here know how to use drivers that are pretty much just a system file and set up information? I know it sounds odd, but I'm trying to get this sound card working for my brother and the "driver" for it isn't actually an executable, all I get is a sys file and an inf file. I'll get the actual file later and edit this post.
    You know when there's the hardware setup you get after plugging in the device? You can put the sys and inf file in a folder and do a manual search and direct it to that folder. Or you can go on Device Manager and do the same by accessing the audio device's properties.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

Probably a silly question, but does anyone here know how to use drivers that are pretty much just a system file and set up information? I know it sounds odd, but I'm trying to get this sound card working for my brother and the "driver" for it isn't actually an executable, all I get is a sys file and an inf file. I'll get the actual file later and edit this post.
    You should be able to right click on one of those two files (I think the inf?) and there'll be an option to "Install Driver" or something along those lines.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    You should be able to right click on one of those two files (I think the inf?) and there'll be an option to "Install Driver" or something along those lines.
    Yep you are right (just looked at the inf file I have) Cheers, rep added

EDIT.

Hiya

Just took my old Toshiba satelite pro 2100 apart to put in a new drive (I know of the issue of the slim drive having to be a slave to work) but when I put everything together (replaced HD and Ram as well) I turn on the computer and it beeps. the order of beeps is one long beep followed immediatly by 4 short beeps. I was wondering if anyone here knew what that was. I had googled it with no avail so I thought I'd post here in case someone knew, or their google fu was greater.

Thanks
    EP Points

Has anyone here tried Flashget? I see some members have reccommend it. Does it really increase download speeds? Usually I use a add-on in firefox to download, though I becoming fond of wget.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    Has anyone here tried Flashget? I see some members have reccommend it. Does it really increase download speeds? Usually I use a add-on in firefox to download, though I becoming fond of wget.
    It'll only affect your download speed if you're downloading from a host that limits download speed per file but allows multiple connections. Ie. your ISP's bandwidth limit allows you to download 800 kByte/s, but the host you're connecting to is limited to 300 kByte/s per connection. So Flashget opens three connections to the host, with the first and second downloading at 300 kByte/s, and the third downloading at 200 kByte/s, thus allowing you to fully use your connection. The problem is that most file hosting websites won't allow multiple simultaneous connections. And it only applies when that host is also limiting you to some fraction of your full bandwidth.

Personally, I've only used Flashget for queueing downloads from the main site here and for reliability, since Flashget splits the file into parts and verifies each part as it comes in. The former is helpful when you're connecting to a host that limits simultaneous downloads (ie. our main site) and the latter when your connection tends to drop or corrupt packets (ie. wireless, chewed cords, etc.). It was very effective at what I was using it for, but not particularly useful otherwise imo.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    It'll only affect your download speed if you're downloading from a host that limits download speed per file but allows multiple connections. Ie. your ISP's bandwidth limit allows you to download 800 kByte/s, but the host you're connecting to is limited to 300 kByte/s per connection. So Flashget opens three connections to the host, with the first and second downloading at 300 kByte/s, and the third downloading at 200 kByte/s, thus allowing you to fully use your connection. The problem is that most file hosting websites won't allow multiple simultaneous connections. And it only applies when that host is also limiting you to some fraction of your full bandwidth.

Personally, I've only used Flashget for queueing downloads from the main site here and for reliability, since Flashget splits the file into parts and verifies each part as it comes in. The former is helpful when you're connecting to a host that limits simultaneous downloads (ie. our main site) and the latter when your connection tends to drop or corrupt packets (ie. wireless, chewed cords, etc.). It was very effective at what I was using it for, but not particularly useful otherwise imo.
    Ah I see. Well then I guess I'm good with my other download options then. The firefox add-on I works just fine. Wget also works fine as well. Thanks for explaining in more clear terms.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    IDM is the best.

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone know what could cause a wireless card to run at half speed? or if there is a way to fix it if its a vista problem?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    Anyone know what could cause a wireless card to run at half speed? or if there is a way to fix it if its a vista problem?
    Wireless network aren't that good that's why i switched to lan.

Thanks

There is a big ol' list of reasons that can happen. Wi-Fi router could be capped, it could cap itself due to distance away from Wi-Fi router, .etc. The OS is rarely the actual problem. Check your Wi-Fi router and also check the signal strength.

Thanks
    EP Points

yes like Mr.Nemo's comment, it's hardly the OS that can cause an issue. It might be the card itself or the router. I have home wifi network with my cousin connecting to me next door and he can get the max speed.

try checking the drivers or testing with a different computer OR a completely different card.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by spicycow View Post
    yes like Mr.Nemo's comment, it's hardly the OS that can cause an issue. It might be the card itself or the router. I have home wifi network with my cousin connecting to me next door and he can get the max speed.

try checking the drivers or testing with a different computer OR a completely different card.
    They had it plugged in wrong.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just took my old Toshiba satelite pro 2100 apart to put in a new drive (I know of the issue of the slim drive having to be a slave to work) but when I put everything together (replaced HD and Ram as well) I turn on the computer and it beeps. the order of beeps is one long beep followed immediatly by 4 short beeps.
    On the offchance the OP happens to check this thread again and for informational purposes;

Described above is a beep code (funny enough), generally indicating a problem with a particular piece of hardware. Unfortunately different motherboard manufacturers use different BIOS distributors who use different beep codes for different issues. Normally when booting your computer (assuming you don't have it set to display a splash screen instead, which a lot of computers seem to do by default) it'll show somewhere in the post screen (white text on a black background, usually displays a memory test + boot devices etc) what BIOS you use, telling you which beep codes to look up. Of course, if your hardware issues are serious enough you may not even get this screen.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone interested.

Also a site with a list of different beepcodes for different BIOS; http://www.bioscentral.com
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

I wish my board supported SLI, gtx 550 ti's are going for some real great prices right now. I could pick up a pair for cheap, and they appear to be the best for the $100-$110 price point. *sigh

Thanks

Just bought an A8-3820 via the eBays. My A4-3400 currently does the trick, but I was able to buy the A8-3820 for $90 and the 3820 has a little higher frequency via turbo core (2.8ghz when using two cores, 2.5ghz when using all 4). The two extra cores+improved GPU will make it very useful for everything else I throw at it and should overall remain useful for a few years to come.

Have you guys+gals taken a look at the new A8 and A10 specs? Looks like a lot of promise, but I can't see how they improved the TDP. Yes, they are using a smaller GPU die, but it shouldn't have allowed such a huge increase in performance. One model is the
    A10-5700. It runs at quad core 3.2 ghz, dual core 4.0ghz when in turbo boost, and has the 7660D that runs at a faster mhz and less than 10 shader cores than the 6550D series. That's a hefty improvement in performance for the same wattage and both AMD and Intel have stated the difficulty in lowering the TDP once frequency reaches 3.0 and above. It makes me wonder what changed or if they are labeling it at 65 watts when it is really 80 watts. Both companies have done stuff like that in the past, so it wouldn't be too much of a shocker.
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...nstream.aspx#7 <---source