Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hangout

Thanks

Alright okay. Suppose I'll give it a shot, and while I'm at it investigate as to how I get my keyboard off to install more RAM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SA-X View Post
    Alright okay. Suppose I'll give it a shot, and while I'm at it investigate as to how I get my keyboard off to install more RAM.
    isn't there a compartment on the bottom that can be unscrewed?

Thanks

You don't need to take the keyboard off to install more laptop ram. in fact, that wouldn't even work, the ram slots are on the bottom. Just open whichever compartment is underneath

Thanks
    EP Points

On my laptop, in SpeedFan my Temp1 reading is listed as ACPI. So does this mean that it is the power input/battery? Or something else?

Because when the power cable is connected it can reach as high as 70 degrees, which then leads to the laptop crashing. Is there anyway I can sort this out? Or will I just need to crack it open and attack it with compressed air?
    No, it doesn't mean it's your battery. Chances are it's something else too, like your CPU. I would dust the vents carefully with a can of compressed air and see how that goes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    isn't there a compartment on the bottom that can be unscrewed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    You don't need to take the keyboard off to install more laptop ram. in fact, that wouldn't even work, the ram slots are on the bottom. Just open whichever compartment is underneath
    According to the Novatech website, the ram slots are accessible only through the top. I've taken the bottom off before, and only one of the two slots could be reached, so I'm guessing the website was right

Thanks

iv never even heard of novatech

Thanks

According to the Novatech website, the ram slots are accessible only through the top. I've taken the bottom off before, and only one of the two slots could be reached, so I'm guessing the website was right
    I've yet to see a laptop with more than two ram slots...

Thanks
    EP Points

So I was playing Far Cry (PC) and after 5 minutes of gameplay the PC reset itself... I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's something to do with my graphics card? Or the heat of my components? :s help I was running it at 1280x800 32bit with 'high' graphics settings.

I can use other games fine without the computer resetting, but they are old games (Half Life, Hitman Agent 47, System Shock II). I can use emulators like Project 64 and ePSXe w/OPENGL graphics plugin without it resetting itself.

I'm planning on putting some money into the PC (not literally ) but it would be nice to be able to play games without it dying on me. T___T Plus in a few months time I'm going to have it on 24/7 and I don't want to be running a P4 24/7. So I want a better CPU, and a more heat-efficient one. I'm not looking for awesome performance just something better than my Pentium 4 that doesn't heat up like a bitch.

CPU: INTEL - PENTIUM D 935 SOCKET LGA775 PROCESSOR
    RAM: 1 GB K-MEM Memory/1GB DDR2 667MHz (PC 5300) X2 in Dual Channel

These few upgrades I can afford to do right now. I'm not looking to change the graphics card as of yet, I will have to save ~£80 to buy a 8600GTS.

I will probably buy this HDD as well: http://www.goldchip.uk.com/details.a...&subCatId=2704 (or a few of them.) PC on 24/7 a lot of downloading going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Inferno.; 4th-March-2008 at 17:14.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    I've yet to see a laptop with more than two ram slots...
    I'm yet to see it too

Thanks

I'm yet to see it too
    Read it wrong, though it said "only two slots could be reached"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno_ View Post
    So I was playing Far Cry (PC) and after 5 minutes of gameplay the PC reset itself... I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's something to do with my graphics card? Or the heat of my components? :s help I was running it at 1280x800 32bit with 'high' graphics settings.

I can use other games fine without the computer resetting, but they are old games (Half Life, Hitman Agent 47, System Shock II). I can use emulators like Project 64 and ePSXe w/OPENGL graphics plugin without it resetting itself.

I'm planning on putting some money into the PC (not literally ) but it would be nice to be able to play games without it dying on me. T___T Plus in a few months time I'm going to have it on 24/7 and I don't want to be running a P4 24/7. So I want a better CPU, and a more heat-efficient one. I'm not looking for awesome performance just something better than my Pentium 4 that doesn't heat up like a bitch.

CPU: INTEL - PENTIUM D 935 SOCKET LGA775 PROCESSOR
    RAM: 1 GB K-MEM Memory/1GB DDR2 667MHz (PC 5300) X2 in Dual Channel

These few upgrades I can afford to do right now. I'm not looking to change the graphics card as of yet, I will have to save ~£80 to buy a 8600GTS.

I will probably buy this HDD as well: http://www.goldchip.uk.com/details.a...&subCatId=2704 (or a few of them.) PC on 24/7 a lot of downloading going on.
    Concerning your upgrade, what brand and model is your motherboard?

As for Far Cry crashing, be sure you're fully patched. There's half a dozen of patches for Far Cry, all helping compatibility and adding functions. Try to heat your video card by running a few instances of RTHDRIBL with maximum settings. See if your computer crashes.
    http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh be sure to update your graphics driver too, just in case.
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...=xp/radeonx-xp

Thanks
    EP Points

My motherboard is a GIGABYTE 965P-DS3

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
    Concerning your upgrade, what brand and model is your motherboard?

As for Far Cry crashing, be sure you're fully patched. There's half a dozen of patches for Far Cry, all helping compatibility and adding functions. Try to heat your video card by running a few instances of RTHDRIBL with maximum settings. See if your computer crashes.
    http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/
    I ran three instances for a good 2-3 minutes and no problems. Although it appears when there is a 3D intensive game on the computer's fans are a lot louder. So I'm being lead to think there's a blockage of dust in the graphics card's fan. Which I will clean out tomorrow and report back with results for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno_ View Post
    I ran three instances for a good 2-3 minutes and no problems. Although it appears when there is a 3D intensive game on the computer's fans are a lot louder. So I'm being lead to think there's a blockage of dust in the graphics card's fan. Which I will clean out tomorrow and report back with results for.
    sounds like your 3d engine is fried