Thread: dwwin.exe error/blue screen restart problem

Thanks
    EP Points

Default dwwin.exe error/blue screen restart problem

I've noticed within the past week that my computer brings up an initialization error from dwwin.exe when I shut the system down. Of course, the program can't start because the computer's shutting down. I've seen many cases of this same error, but I don't know what's causing it. Following that, now I get a "blue screen of death" after the Windows XP loading screen (with the moving bar) and the system restart to this BIOS. After that I get a message saying Windows did not start properly with options for starting normally, in safe mode, with last known good configuration, etc. I tried both booting normally and with last known good configuration, but still get the error screen and automatic reboot.

Right now I'm in Safe Mode. I'm scanning for viruses with Antivir. Other than that, I don't know how to fix it. I need to know what error is causing dwwin.exe to start last-minute. I'm running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Thanks
    EP Points

Dr Watson. It's pretty laughable really, it's meant to help stop errors but just causes errors of it's own. Here's the article on what it is and how to to kill it

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;188296

To disable Dr. Watson
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
    NOTE: Steps three and four are optional, but they necessary if you want to restore the default use of Dr. Watson.
    3. Click the AeDebug key, and then click Export Registry File on the Registry menu.
    4. Enter a name and location for the saved registry file, and then click Save.
    5. Delete the AeDebug key.
    Registry entries for debugger programs are located in the AeDebug key in Windows. The Dr. Watson program is installed by default in Windows, and is configured to run when an application error occurs (with a data value of 1 for the Auto value). The default values are:
    Value Name = Auto
    Type = String (REG_SZ)
    Data Value = 1 or 0. (Default is 1)

Value Name = Debugger
    Type = String (REG_SZ)
    Data Value = drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g

NOTE: This data value (drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g) is specific to Dr. Watson. Alternative debuggers will have their own values and parameters.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks, but I found the problem. Turned out it was a bad internal multicard reader that doesn't work half the time anyway. I opened my case this morning and disconnected it. After that, I haven't seen the blue screen of death or the Dr. Watson error anymore.

Edit: I'm still having the restart problem, even after disconnecting the device. Sometimes my computer restarts and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know what's causing the error; all my hardware is fine. Is there a way to check for hardware/driver problems? Or freeze the blue screen so I can see what it says? By the way, after booting into Safe Mode, restarting, and booting into normal mode or "Last known good configuration" mode, the problem disappears for about 4 or 5 restarts then comes back.
    Last edited by Crash; 6th-February-2008 at 01:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, I turned off system restart in the CP and took a picture of the BSOD. This happens most of the time I boot Windows normally or with last known good configuration.

Photo:
    http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1511/pict0031gn5.jpg

Event log:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/91480584/Events.txt.html

Thanks
    EP Points

I used to get that whenever I tried to install Windows with my Abit IP95 motherboard. I bought a new motherboard, but apparently it might have been bad RAM. Sorry this isn't really of help.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

I found the problem, turns out it was a bad driver for my 2 Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 controllers. Updating the driver seemed to have fixed things... for now.