Thread: "New Life" for old games?

Thanks

Default "New Life" for old games?

Some may have noticed this, some may have not, but I thought I would mention (and ask for opinions on) the way older PC games are getting "new life" through fanmade mods that update various aspects of the said games. Examples:

System Shock 2 (1999)

Mods:
    Rebirth- Updates all models in SS2 with details, textures, and polygon counts more modernized ('cuz 500 polies is sooo 20th century)

SHTUP- Updates all textures in SS2 to 256x256 pixels instead of the default 64 and 128 resolution.

Star Wars: X-Wing/TIE Fighter series

Mods:
    Numerous, all of which contain modernized models/textures.

So, I ask, what do you think about these types of projects? Do they keep the oldies fun, and a bit more modernized in the graphics department? Or should the fans let sleeping dogs lie, and let their favorite games slowly fade into history?

Thanks

You've got to take your hat off to the guys that dedicate all this time to such projects.

You wont catch me playing SS2 now though, Im too scared to play it with the lights off.
    Touch my twat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    You've got to take your hat off to the guys that dedicate all this time to such projects.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    You wont catch me playing SS2 now though, Im too scared to play it with the lights off.
    I hear you there. Been to the Command Deck lately with Ms. Arachnid? Scared the crap outta me...(I literally lost minor bowel control momentarily when I got jumped by a few mutant spiders in the CD lobby.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunneh View Post
    So, I ask, what do you think about these types of projects? Do they keep the oldies fun, and a bit more modernized in the graphics department? Or should the fans let sleeping dogs lie, and let their favorite games slowly fade into history?
    As long as something has fans, it can never fade away into history, because... well, that's kinda counter-intuitive. Pertaining to the point, though, I'd say that if there are people out there willing to spend their time to improve their favorite games, more power to 'em!

Also, System Shock 2 was the first game I ever played on PC, back when I was 10 or 11... coincidentally, it is the main reason that I absolutely refused to play or watch anything with the lights off for almost 4 years. Those monkeys...

those horrible monkeys...

Thanks

It's good stuff, Doomsday engine is pretty awesome, in adding jumping/3d models/increased resolution/etc to Doom/DoomII/Hexen/Heretic

Thanks

I've been following The Sith Lords Restoration Project.

They are pretty close to completion, I would say about 2 months.

http://www.team-gizka.org/wip.html

EDIT: The greyed out Features are at the discretion of the modding team to implement if they feel like it, but it doesn't look like much more, if any of them, will make it in. Don't let the name fool you, they are very minor improvements. I.E
    When Mira asks the player if he/she "hooked up a power coupling" with either Atton, Disciple, Visas or the Handmaiden, she commonly says either says Disciple or Visas - even when the influence of Atton/Handmaiden is higher then either. Mira lines should be reflecting the amount of influence. The line should go to the one with higher influence. (Ex. If Handmaiden has 98 influence and Visas has 92, it goes to Handmaiden rather then what it is right now)
    Last edited by Huey Kruthas; 16th-January-2008 at 03:12.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

i downloaded this one torrent that had a bunch of mods and stuff for the pc version of final fantasy 7. it was close to playing it for the first time again, but not quite there yet.