Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 360 or PS3

Thanks

Default 360 or PS3

LISTEN:
    This is not a who's better, what system is better, blah, blah, blah fanboys unite thread. I don't want there to be any flames in this thread. This is not a competition. This is questions from ME.
    I don't care who thinks what system's better.

Anyways. I'm interested in a PS3. I have had my 360 for about a year now, and I'm almost sick of it. The main thing that Xbox Live - sucks. It's been pissing me off for awhile now. I used to thought it was badass, but it's almost as faulty as the system is. I'm sick of MS. They make the shittiest things. I just bought a black controller - brand new from best buy and the right trigger squeaks. The systems have so many failures, it's ridiculous. New chipsets and heatsinks? Wow, couldn't you of done that BEFORE you put out the damn thing? You're multi zillionaires - stop being so cheap.
    Sorry about the ranting - I do like the 360. A lot. I like the Wii and PS3 too. I'm not a fanboy, and I enjoy basically any system out there. I'm just trying to find out which is best for me. The 360 or switching to the PS3. So I have some questions.
    I thought the 360 was it. Maybe it is. It's just been more annoying than anything. And I can't seem to enjoy it while I play it. The ps3 has some cool stuff too. But I'm not really familiar with it. So here's some questions.

1)What are the best games out now for the PS3?
    2)What are some of the games coming out - that will kickass?
    3)What system do I need to play all BC games from PS2 to PSX.
    4)Xbox live is neat - I like the whole voice, friendlist, invite, buddy, private chat, email, icon and ect thing. Does PS3 have those, or any?
    5)What are some other qualities that kickass that it stands out?
    6)What are some things you can do with it that separates it from other systems or is generally amazing?

I might have a few more questions - just curious is all. Again, please no flames - this is purely for my use only. The anger residing from this post, is probably because I'm in a shitty mood today, so I'm a little on edge, but no worries
    Thanks for your replies, your suggestions, and your help.
    -= PSN Name is StellarSublime =-

Thanks
    EP Points

Modify your 360 drive's firmware and X-Clamp it to make sure you're never going to have any problems with it in the future. I know how you feel about 360s, I've had 2 and had them both for about 6 months altogether. (I owned them both seperately).
    Right now I want a modified one which has been X-Clamped already.

As for the PS3 I want one but I've never played one.

Thanks
    EP Points

1)What are the best games out now for the PS3?
    Unreal Tournament 3, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (in Japan, plays in US systems), Call of Duty 4, Resistance, plus Superstardust HD, Everyday Shooter, Warhawk, and others available on the Playstation Network

2)What are some of the games coming out - that will kickass?
    Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy games, Gran Turismo 5, many of the games that are coming to 360 as well (DMC4, GTA4), Killzone 2, Littlebigplanet

3)What system do I need to play all BC games from PS2 to PSX.
    60 gig has best, 80 gig isnt bad, 40gig will just play PS1 games

4)Xbox live is neat - I like the whole voice, friendlist, invite, buddy, private chat, email, icon and ect thing. Does PS3 have those, or any?
    It has all those things really. Plus Playstation Home eventually

5)What are some other qualities that kickass that it stands out?
    Bluray player. Linux install. 7 players for certain sports games. Wireless built in. Expandable HD space.

6)What are some things you can do with it that separates it from other systems or is generally amazing?
    Generally, all the stuff above hah.

Edit: And Astaroth, Xclamp replacements arent the magic answer, they'll still break quicker then a well designed system would

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

1)Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, CoD4, UT3
    2)Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII
    3)20GB, 60GB, 80GB = PS2 and PSX BC. 40 = PSX (Please correct me if I'm wrong people)
    4)Well... only parts of it. It pretty much depends on the games as the XMB is not available from in-game... yet.
    5)It's so quiet!
    6)Gee I dunno... Blu-Ray? PSP remote play is pretty awesome. You can play all your PS1 games by streaming them off your PS3. Awesome.

Thanks
    EP Points

Dunno if it's PS3-only, but downloading demos seems fairly interesting.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Dunno if it's PS3-only, but downloading demos seems fairly interesting.
    From Live you can download demos as well as movies and TV series and all that shit.

Thanks

You can download demos from xbox live too. It's a nice feature on both parts. Thanks for your fast and accurate replies. I'm still confused though. I don't know what to do. After the end of the month - I'll have 50 games. Possible a little more or a little less. I could still take my 360 back to best buy and get 350. How much are the PS3 60GB? Seems like that one would be my best bet. I would then need to sell all my games. Just so I could get a few new ones. I don't know :/

Thanks

I believe the new 60 GB is $499.

I like any game systems. I was stuck between 360 or the PS3 for awhile too, and it really just came down to my tastes in games and other factors.

I kinda found this in another forum which was a funny but maybe rather interesting read. I think.

Here are some of my deciding factors for purchasing a PS3 over a 360.

1. Online Gaming is "Free". So I don't have to worry about paying for it. If I want to use it...it's ALWAYS available. If I'm NOT using it, then I'm NOT paying for something I'm not using. You can't say the same thing for Xbox Live.

2. The PS3 games are on the Blu-Ray format, Xbox games are on standard DVD format. The Blu-Ray format can hold up to 50 Gig of storage space. DVD holds up to 9 GIG. What does that mean? Well we all know that with HD graphics, and as games improve the more storage space these games will require. So the PS3 is "Ready" for future games. It's not JUST about watching HD Blu-Ray movies. It's about being able to handle future gaming requirements on the game discs. Sure you can buy a External HD-DVD player for the X-Box 360....Microsoft thanks you for another $100 BTW. Can you play HD-DVD games off it? I don't think so, and even IF you could they would be playing at a slower data rate because it's bandwith limited by the external connection interface.

3. The Accessories for the PS3 use Standard PC interfaces What does that mean? It means I DON'T have to buy "Sony" specific hardware, but with the XBOX 360, I HAVE to buy Microsoft specific hardware that comes at a "premium" inflated price.

So for example, let's say in the future I need to "upgrade" my hard drive because I need more storage space on my PS3. The PS3 uses a standard SATA hard drive. So I can purchase ANY off the shelf hard drive. I don't have to pay $100-$200 for a 20-80 Gig special Microsoft hard drive that can only be used on the Xbox 360. 20-80 Gig SATA hard drives cost about $20, but you'll have to pay $100-$200 for a "Microsoft Xbox 360" hard drive.....but of course....since that 20-80 Gig hard drive costs $200 it must be better right??? LOL?! Guess again...Microsoft does not make hard drives. They buy them from the companies that design hard drives and then put it in their special case and then charge you a lot of extra money for putting it in a special plastic case.

How about game saves that you might want to transfer to another console? You HAVE to buy an Xbox "Memory Unit" for $50 that holds 512 Meg of storage. For the PS3 I can use ANY standard PC SIM memory card. $40 will easily buy me a 2 GIG SIM card. $10 will get me a SIM card which holds the same amount as that 512 Meg $50 "Memory Unit".

How about your $60 Microsoft wireless headset? You have to buy a "Microsoft" headset don't you? With the PS3 I can buy "ANY" Blue Tooth wireless head set or ANY USB headset....but you're stuck with your "Microsoft" USB or wireless head set huh?

How about recharging your wireless controlers on the 360? How do you do that? Oh, yeah you HAVE to buy a $25 recharging kit. For the PS3? ANY standard $5 USB cable that plugs into the USB ports on the PS3 will work.....and you can use that same USB cable to have the "Charge while you play Feature". You need that special "Charge while you play cord" on that 360 huh?

Wireless online gaming? Oh yeah....buy a Microsoft wireless gaming adapter.....$100!!!! For the PS3?....it's already built into the PS3....no need to buy anything extra.

4. HDMI digital Interface included on ALL PS3 consoles. You want "True" HD video? Time to go buy an "Xbox Elite 360" if you want that....Guess what? The Elite Console is the same price as the PS3. HDMI is WAY better as far as graphics quality compared to component found on your standard Xbox360. You guys wanting 1080p 60FPS games, are losing half that quality with that analog component connection, where you get "Zero" loss with a digital HDMI connection.

5. 5.1 Digital audio interface STANDARD on ALL PS3's Oh....let's go spend another $30 for a special "HD" interface cable on the Xbox 360 to get some digital 5.1 surround sound. The digital audio connection comes standard on all PS3's.....price? Zero dollars.

6. Over heating problems? From DAY#1 of it's release the Xbox 360 has had over heating problems. Want to cool it down? Oh yeah...go buy an external cooling fan for another $30-$40. Guess what the PS3 comes "Standard" with built in cooling fans, that only turn on when the console starts to get hot. AND....if the PS3 ever does reach a temperature where it risks damaging itself....The console shuts itself off. What's that Xbox 360 do? Oh yeah.....it continues to over heat itself and then shows you 3 flashing red lights where you need to send it back into Microsoft for repair and wait for a month for it's return....and don't forget, WHILE you're waiting you're still paying for your Xbox LIVE subscription

Thanks

That is interesting. Very true. If I could fine someone to buy all my games and my system one day, I'd sell it. But I think I'm going to have to hang on to my 360 until I find a good deal. It'll give me more time tothink it over and see what's going on. They're both very good systems but, I'm at a crossroad. XD

Thanks

PS3's are pretty cool. The blue ray dvd player is what I use it for the most. It makes any movie look sexy. The only thing is that I personally do not enjoy most of the games on the system. I will say this though, if you like MGS then get a PS3. MGS4 will be one of the greatest, if not the greatest game of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    You guy are welcome anytime We have bowling and Steak & Shake. Bring beer. I like beer.

Thanks

I think my best bet is to save and wait it out. I'd like to keep my 360 and then later get a ps3 - when more stuff comes out and it's cheaper. I love the 360, I'm just sick of poor service. XBL still fucked up for you SB?

Thanks
    EP Points

The thing is, at the end of the day, its a battle of the exclusives, which arent many. Ratchet, Killzone, Uncharted, MGS, FFXIII, GT5 for the PS3, and Halo, Mass Effect (for now), Forza, and a handful of others for the 360. Sony has been playing catch up to XBL, but they are so very close right now, with the actual online playing being identical, that theres only that handful that really makes a difference right now.

Thanks

I hear a lot about frame rate hits on PS3 games. In all of your opinions, does the PS3 suffer from worse frame rate problems than the 360?

In more or less the same situation as you, Nirvana, this thread was pretty helpful
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

Glad I could help someone other than myself. I wanted this to be like this - a discussion - not a flame war. I know how these things can sometimes get out of hand without much thought.
    Like I said, I think I'm just going to wait for a bit and save up for the ps3. By then better games and new stuff will be out, and I'll still have my 360.

Feel free to continue with this discussion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Kruthas View Post
    I hear a lot about frame rate hits on PS3 games. In all of your opinions, does the PS3 suffer from worse frame rate problems than the 360?
    some games have NASTY frame rates on the PS3. i bought Gundam Crossfire recently and multiplayer split-screen was pathetically slow (but it looked nice). dont know about single player yet.

Resistance: Fall Of Man runs flawless along with various demos i've played. i think it's just that the launch titles were rushed and weren't really optimized for the hardware as well as they should be. more recent titles run perfectly.