Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran builds supercomputer with banned AMD parts

Thanks

Default Iran builds supercomputer with banned AMD parts

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/66655,...rcomputer.aspx

Iranian scientists claim to have used 216 microprocessors made by Advanced Micro Devices to build the country's most powerful supercomputer, despite a ban on the export of U.S. computer equipment to the Middle Eastern nation..

Scientists at the Iranian High Performance Computing Research Center at the country's Amirkabir University of Technology said they used a Linux-cluster architecture in building the system of Opteron processors. The supercomputer has a theoretical peak performance of 860 giga-flops, the posting said. A giga-flop is a billion calculations per second.

The disclosure, made in an undated posting on Amirkabir's Web site, brought an immediate response Monday from AMD, which said it has never authorized shipments of products either directly or indirectly to Iran or any other embargoed country.

"AMD fully complies with all United States export control laws, and all authorized distributors of AMD products have contractually committed to AMD that they will do the same with respect to their sales and shipments of AMD products," the company said. "Any shipment of AMD products to Iran by any authorized distributor of AMD would be a breach of the specific provisions of their contracts with AMD."

Enforcement of export bans is handled through the Office of Foreign Asset Control, which is part of the U.S. Treasury Department. Officials were unavailable for comment.

The Iranian system will be used for weather forecasting and meteorological research. Iranian scientists developed software for systems management and monitoring, but use a medium scale computer model called MM5 for creating atmospheric simulations and weather forecasts. MM5 is freely available and supported by a division of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in the U.S. Other software includes the Advanced Regional Prediction System that was initially developed at the University of Oklahoma, under a program of the National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center.

Besides weather forecasting, supercomputers are used in the oil and gas industry, drug making, computer assisted design and the aerodynamics industry, as well as in scientific research. The Iranian research center built the country's first supercomputer in 2001. Another supercomputer was built in 2003 for processing satellite images for the Iranian Space Agency.

The Iranian supercomputer falls far behind the world's fastest computers. In November, the BlueGene/L System, jointly developed by IBM and the U.S. Department of Energy was ranked No. 1 in the world with a benchmark performance of 478.2 teraflops. A teraflop equals a trillion calculations per second.
    Go AMD?

If they're not being shipped directly to Iran, how did they get there? Last time I checked, computer parts aren't exactly high on the list of black market items.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    http://www.itnews.com.au/News/66655,...rcomputer.aspx

Go AMD?

If they're not being shipped directly to Iran, how did they get there? Last time I checked, computer parts aren't exactly high on the list of black market items.
    Shipped to EU retailers then to there maybe?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Last time I checked, computer parts aren't exactly high on the list of black market items.
    Web site > PO Box or mail service > flight home???

Also, Mr. Panda, how u get CMM in your sig?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

When government funds get involved, anything can be prioritized. Besides, it reminds me of nothing quite so much as that stint several years back about Saddam importing a bunch of PS2s to run SCUDs or something like that. Mind you, there's still the software side of integrating the Beowulf, but there's plenty of processing power in modern consoles. It really wouldn't be difficult to smuggle something like computer chips around.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

ebay ftw?

they didnt have to buy em all at once. ive got half a 42u rack fulled with ebay hardware. less than $2000 total. im sure i could launch some scuds or find some oil deposits if i really wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

Chances are, they paid Syria or some other neighboring country to import them, then just brought them over the border. International laws mean Jack if no one abides them, as is usually the case.
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Hammer View Post
    Chances are, they paid Syria or some other neighboring country to import them, then just brought them over the border. International laws mean Jack if no one abides them, as is usually the case.
    Why are you picking on Syria?

Why are they banned? still if they are banned they are not in Iran.
    Why is it such a big deal?
    I love tekken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuya Mishima View Post

They're banned to ship to Iran. There's an embargo preventing any exports from the US to Iran, and AMD has decided to honor that by not shipping any to Iran from any of their "certified retailers", meaning that if AMD parts get into Iran, it's being done illegally.

Thanks

They're banned to ship to Iran. There's an embargo preventing any exports from the US to Iran, and AMD has decided to honor that by not shipping any to Iran from any of their "certified retailers", meaning that if AMD parts get into Iran, it's being done illegally.
    So are the drugs...still don't see the big deal. Besides I though AMD is based somewhere in Asia.
    I love tekken.

Thanks
    EP Points

So are the drugs...still don't see the big deal. Besides I though AMD is based somewhere in Asia.

Sunnyvale, California

The keyword is CERTIFIED. We can't stop someone from buying them and then turning around and reselling it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Hammer
    Chances are, they paid Syria or some other neighboring country to import them,
    Was just using Syria as an example. As the article states, the items are banned to be exported to Iran, yet they got there anyway.

To me its not big deal that Iran broke an international law, the US does it (and so does France, the UK, Germany, etc etc), but that Iran, led by a guy who clearly modeled his haircut and beard after Satan, uses AMD parts.

AMD joins Radeon on the list of Satanic PC components. (For Radeon's crimes against humanity, see: CAD ).
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post

Sunnyvale, California

The keyword is CERTIFIED. We can't stop someone from buying them and then turning around and reselling it.
    I understand that still no big deal!
    I love tekken.

Thanks
    EP Points

I understand that still no big deal!
    I know, that was directed at CMM

Thanks

(For Radeon's crimes against humanity, see: CAD ).
    Back when CAD was good... Those were the days...

Thanks

led by a guy who clearly modeled his haircut and beard after Satan, uses AMD parts.
    The devil uses all the resource he can find.
    I love tekken.