Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game reviewer fired for bad review (Gamespot)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Game reviewer fired for bad review (Gamespot)

Veteran game reviewer and musician Jeff Gerstmann of Gamespot.com was fired several days ago after a review of the game Kane & Lynch. This game, which Eidos Interactive spent several tens of thousands $$ promoting on Gamespot, CNET & related sites within the CNET network, was given a negative review. Upon the youtube page, the merits of the review as well as his firing are debated. This video was pulled from the Gamespot site a day after being posted, the entire Kane & Lynch advertising disappeared, and blogs my Mr. Gerstmann have been either locked or removed. Should also note that the original review has been scrubbed, changing several words per sentence. Heck, entire paragraphs have been changed. Now the review has a better "tone" to it. LOL i think i hear Kane saying "F*ck your tone" right about now.

Penny-Arcade, Kotaku, and several other sites are noting that another Gamespot employee by the name of Alex Novarro went on Valleywag.com and posted this proper review of the 10 year veteran's abrupt departure, as well as the political backstabbing environment that is CNET/Gamespot. They locked this guy out of his office. What a bunch of bastards they are, eh?

I hope you find the BS a fun read. If the CNET stock price doesn't tumble by atleast 10percent on Monday, it's time to burn one in eulogy for Jeff. He will be missed. His reviews were total WIN. And the editors who are staying on the job are quite unhappy. Note the CNET.com employees:
    You are are tools.
    You are all expendible, at the stroke of the pen.
    k-thanks-bai

Yours truly,
    the Gov
    Last edited by ArnoldaTermintr; 2nd-December-2007 at 10:58.

Thanks

that sux, i knew kane and lynch woulda sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    EP Points

from reading a few reviews at various websites, the game comes down to this:
    Kane: "Hey, Fuck you."
    /blows up stuff
    run around, hide by walls
    get hit through walls
    find guys to kill
    vengeance killings
    kill, kill, no reason
    Lynch" "Fuck you too"

so yeah, that's what Eidos thinks we want. I give them a hearty F*** you from the bottom of my lying/stealing heart. Now where's my draft card for Basra, damnit?

^^^
    Anti- Eidos DDOS attack LOLzz

Thanks

hackers broke the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    EP Points

various people (myself included) are posting our thoughts about the incident. What really matters, and the best way to approach this, is not by H4CKZ0R1NG the site. It's by writing a letter to CNET Corporate, cancelling Total Access accounts, just _NOT_ going there, and oh yeah, a few videos on youtube & general mayhem on Google will get the word around.

The internet is how many users now? About 180 million? A few posts here and there, and ya know word travels fast. DIGG.com & Slashdot, they've brought down giants (Enron/Worldcom/Global Crossing, RIP).

the emotional thing is to act out, and attempt to hack the site. The faggot responsible for firing Jeff Gerstmann, most likely Stephen Colvin, doesn't give two shits about GS, the forums or its users.
    He cares about money.
    So hit the a$$hole in the pocket, by making his company's stock drop, and then he'll be mad.

my .02. RIP Jeff G, we miss you man. You deserved better.
    Greg Kasavin is so eloquent, this man is GOD!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I mentioned this in the General Gaming Discussion thread a few days back because I didn't think it was worthy of its own thread. I still don't.

But yeah, since it's here and we're discussing what's quickly becoming stale news, if there's any truth to it, boy did it just deal a huge blow to the credibility of pretty much online gaming-journalism in its entirety. I never placed any importance on reviews, but now I won't even be able to read them for entertainment without wondering whether or not the reviewer who wrote it or the site he works on is getting paid for them.

Thanks
    EP Points

This is why I like reading EGM. The are very up-front about the fact that they will review your game however they see fit, and if you don't like it, feel free to pull your advertising.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    This is why I like reading EGM. The are very up-front about the fact that they will review your game however they see fit, and if you don't like it, feel free to pull your advertising. Not to mention it's free.
    Always a plus.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosnake View Post
    Always a plus.
    True, but I get 3 other gaming mags free, and I still prefer EGM.

Thanks
    EP Points

True, but I get 3 other gaming mags free, and I still prefer EGM.
    EGM is pretty sweet, yeah.

Thanks

Publishers twisting the arm of games magazines and whatnot has been going on for years. I remember back in the days of Mean Machines, Sega Power et al, they were all at it in one way or another. I think it was in CVG that Daytona USA for the Saturn was given 92%, when it clearly wasnt finished...I cant see the practice of reviews effectively being sponsored ending anytime soon.

Besides, they are nothing more than a guide. Intuition and renting games, that or a shop with a liberal returns policy, thats the way forward.
    Touch my twat.

I'm in ur head, raping ur cerebral cortex
    Thanks

I personally didn't like the review, it sounded too much like a rant to me.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know what annoys me the most.. Him potentially being fired over his review (which, by the way, was far from great, like banned said), people thinking this is something new, or the people posting shit about this all over the internet.

Wait a fucking week until you know what happened. Or atleast leave me alone. Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by The insane topic-starter
    Greg Kasavin is so eloquent, this man is GOD!!
    Yeah, I saw that the other dude on that site you posted said that about him. Going to have an opinion of your own any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasavin
    As for the rest of the team that makes GameSpot's content: What you do next is more important than what you've done already. Every day you should be reminding yourselves that, because of the magic of the Internet, someone could just flip a switch that causes everything you've ever done here to just vanish. But the influence of your actions never disappears, and whatever integrity or credibility this site has gathered over the years is due to your hard work. I have no right to telling you what to do. But as a user of this site, I've come to expect a lot, and I know you listen.

Master Chief says it best: "We'll be fine."

And that's all I wanted to say here and I don't have anything more to add.
    Yeah, cute. Why is this guy so great, again?

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks

This is why I like reading EGM. The are very up-front about the fact that they will review your game however they see fit, and if you don't like it, feel free to pull your advertising.
    Eh, same here, too bad they always give blowjob Halo and Winning Eleven. But it's the fault of the mexican edition of EGM, so...

About game reviewers...eh, I only trust my friends or myself when I play the game or that someone says: "You like FPS, right? Killzone is fun." And then I rent it and I like it and end up buying it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    About game reviewers...eh, I only trust my friends or myself when I play the game or that someone says: "You like FPS, right? Killzone is fun." And then I rent it and I like it and end up buying it.
    Although I'm sure everyone has one or two twathead mates who buy a steaming pile of gaming shite and refuse to condemn it.
    Touch my twat.