Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: so the right to bear arms is being challenged?

Thanks

Here are some laws that were just ran by me from a guy at the KCTA trap range.

1. One gun of one kind per person. As in, you can only own one rifle, one handgun, one shotgun, etc. After a few years, when you've proven yourself a responsible person, then you can apply for a second of each kind, individually. Part of the problem with the illegal arms trade in America are peopl buyin arms legally, then upping the price and selling them to the kind of people who shouldn't have them. Not every illegal weapon came from Mexico or another nation.

2. Psychological profiles. The kid responsible for Virigina Tech had a documented history of mental illness. The Roanoake gun shop he bought his weapons from ran a background check, which was supposed to cover a psycological profile. However, other state laws prevented said profile from being viewed, so the shop owner didn't know, and didn't have a reason to deny the sale. That shit needs to be stopped. Also, it wouldn't hurt to require everyone who wants to purchase a gun to have a visit to a psychologist, to be certain (or near certain) they have no intentions of harming someone else (save in case of defense of self).

3. Harsher penalties for those who break gun laws. It works for theft, why not with guns?

Thats my take on it. I use a shotgun every fall to hunt waterfowl, a rifle for deer, and a pistol for targets. I haven't had to use one in self-defense yet, but I want the option should it ever come up. In the mean time, there are ways to lower those statistics without completely giving up our right to bear arms.

On that note, I go back to my music book (fucking final in a week).
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Hammer View Post
    Here are some laws that were just ran by me from a guy at the KCTA trap range.

1. One gun of one kind per person. As in, you can only own one rifle, one handgun, one shotgun, etc. After a few years, when you've proven yourself a responsible person, then you can apply for a second of each kind, individually. Part of the problem with the illegal arms trade in America are peopl buyin arms legally, then upping the price and selling them to the kind of people who shouldn't have them. Not every illegal weapon came from Mexico or another nation.

2. Psychological profiles. The kid responsible for Virigina Tech had a documented history of mental illness. The Roanoake gun shop he bought his weapons from ran a background check, which was supposed to cover a psycological profile. However, other state laws prevented said profile from being viewed, so the shop owner didn't know, and didn't have a reason to deny the sale. That shit needs to be stopped. Also, it wouldn't hurt to require everyone who wants to purchase a gun to have a visit to a psychologist, to be certain (or near certain) they have no intentions of harming someone else (save in case of defense of self).

3. Harsher penalties for those who break gun laws. It works for theft, why not with guns?

Thats my take on it. I use a shotgun every fall to hunt waterfowl, a rifle for deer, and a pistol for targets. I haven't had to use one in self-defense yet, but I want the option should it ever come up. In the mean time, there are ways to lower those statistics without completely giving up our right to bear arms.

On that note, I go back to my music book (fucking final in a week).
    Well, number 1 seems kind of pointless. It only takes one gun to kill someone.

"Come on sir, you already have your one gun, I'm gonna have to cut you off."

"Aww, come on. Oh wait, I have a gun, I'll just shoot you."
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by falados View Post

Ok! O_o

Though, if you're a hunter, you can't use one gun for everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Ok! O_o

Though, if you're a hunter, you can't use one gun for everything.
    That's kinda why it's pointless. It's just restrictive enough that it cuts off the people who use guns legally, but lax enough that people can still commit their good ole murders.

EDIT: Reread the thing, I need a bit of sleep, thought it was one gun, period at first. One of each type is what you mean, right?

Makes a bit more sense in that respect.
    Last edited by Huey Kruthas; 2nd-December-2007 at 04:33.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Check out Sweden (also here and Finland. Both of these countries have high rates of Gun-Ownership (Finland for example has 32 to every 100 citizens, see Sweden in the above links).
    Uh, what are you talking about? A high rate of gun-ownership? Since when?

We have a fair amount of hunters in the north, and that's pretty much it. What am I missing here?

Also, funny thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    Statistically, having a firearm in the house is more likely to result in a friend or family member getting shot than it is to result in an intruder being shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Shows what you know about guns. No weapon is worthwhile if you aren't practiced in it. A knife is a simply swinging and stabbing motion, thrust the hand witht he weapon forward or across. Guns vary weapon to weapon. Bolt-action rifles work much differently than pump-action shotguns. You pretty obviously are a believer in the myth that guns provide a one-shot-one-kill with every bullet. They don't, ask any deer hunter, they don't. Also, you have to have a steady hand, good eye-sight, etc etc.
    But what do you need in order to get a gun in the first place? A lack of penis?

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

fact #1: guns don't stop crime.
    fact #2: police don't stop crime.
    fact #3: your own gun could be used against YOU.
    fact #4: it's better to run like $**t and live to fight another day then play gun battle with some thugs

look folks, the right to have a gun is in the Constitution. The framers, the dudes who had 99 more IQ points than the chimp that is U.S. President, understood that an unarmed population were prey to a tyranical government. With that said, criminals love guns. And drugs. And prostitutes. And lots of other stuff that normal people should not be involved in. Trust me on this. I've played GTA.

I'm no gun nut. And I wouldn't go around saying i love guns. But heaven help us if we ever have our guns taken away. If that day were to come (google on Hurricane Katrina gun grab if you think i'm lying) you'll see what NOT having a gun means to your life.

OK, read these two pages

"An unarmed man, by his very nature a product of a state the cares not for individual rights but proclaims it does, is a target. Not necessarily of criminals, but of the police state."
    Last edited by ArnoldaTermintr; 2nd-December-2007 at 14:33.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by falados View Post

Thats not what its for. Its to stop people from buying guns legally and then re-selling them to criminals in bulk. Its so that responsible, law-abiding citizens can still have a handgun (for example), but those with criminal intent can't re-sell them. Thats why there is a time limit, a few years, before you can buy a second handgun (or any other gun respectively). There would be little interest to acquire a single handgun legally to re-sell it, the profit wouldn't be that high. You buy a $130 handgun and re-sell it for $200 (to make it affordable to someone in a desperate enough situation that he/she would be willing to break the law), all this guy would have made is $70 dollars, and if he gets busted he'll go to jail for 5 or more years. Here, the risk isn't worth it. While someone buying 20 handguns at $130 dollars ($2600 total) and then selling them for $200 each would make $4000, a better risk for someone of criminal intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin v. Persie View Post
    Uh, what are you talking about? A high rate of gun-ownership? Since when?
    Well, according to those links I gave you, 32 out of 100 people in Finland own a gun. There are over 1 million privately owned small arms in Sweden (also in that link), not counting the ones owned by conscripts. Also, Switerland has a conscipt program in which males over the age of 20 keep their assault weapons at home I know this link is wikipedia, but its sourced and gives my general arguement pretty well ), there are over 400,000 assault weapons stored in Swiss homes!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin v. Persie View Post

But what do you need in order to get a gun in the first place? A lack of penis?
    Very mature. Also, don't twist my words. Those two quotes are completely unrelated, each pertaining to a different topic.
    Last edited by Paladin_Hammer; 3rd-December-2007 at 00:35.
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

Thats not what its for. Its to stop people from buying guns legally and then re-selling them to criminals in bulk. Its so that responsible, law-abiding citizens can still have a handgun (for example), but those with criminal intent can't re-sell them. Thats why there is a time limit, a few years, before you can buy a second handgun (or any other gun respectively). There would be little interest to acquire a single handgun legally to re-sell it, the profit wouldn't be that high. You buy a $130 handgun and re-sell it for $200 (to make it affordable to someone in a desperate enough situation that he/she would be willing to break the law), all this guy would have made is $70 dollars, and if he gets busted he'll go to jail for 5 or more years. Here, the risk isn't worth it. While someone buying 20 handguns at $130 dollars ($2600 total) and then selling them for $200 each would make $4000, a better risk for someone of criminal intent.
    As I said in the edit, was a mistake. I read everything, then walked off to take a piss, got back, and didn't bother re-reading it all, just quickly skimmed them. By time I posted, the ideas got mangled in my exhausted mind.

Thanks for the quick lesson in Entrepeneurship, multiplication, and addition though!

/sarcasm

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Well, according to those links I gave you, 32 out of 100 people in Finland own a gun. There are over 1 million privately owned small arms in Sweden (also in that link), not counting the ones owned by conscripts. Also, Switerland has a conscipt program in which males over the age of 20 keep their assault weapons at home I know this link is wikipedia, but its sourced and gives my general arguement pretty well ), there are over 400,000 assault weapons stored in Swiss homes!
    Am I blind, or does it say anything besides that ->?
    Because there are no central register, the number of legal firearms is not known. It is estimated that there are some two million legal firearms possessed by 800000 to 700000 citizens.
    Also, err, estimated numbers or not, it's so not comparable to.. well, anything we're talking about.

Very mature. Also, don't twist my words. Those two quotes are completely unrelated, each pertaining to a different topic.
    Duh. I was just pointing out how accidents are bound to occur when people unfit to own firearms try to use them. It isn't that hard for someone to aquire a gun, see.

Edit: So.. erm, how was I twisting your words?
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 3rd-December-2007 at 08:39.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldaTermintr View Post
    you'll see what NOT having a gun means to your life.
    Oh no, you'd be living in some kind of crazy country where guns aren't legal! Like...er...the place I've spent all twenty-one years of my life? In which my closest brush with death has been a bully in one of my classes vowing to beat me up? My, clearly havoc has broken loose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite undecided either way. There will always be situations where a life could've been spared had guns only been legalised, and there will also always be situations where a life could have been spared had they only not. It's kind of a no win situation, and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel on the subject... Still...I don't know... Suggesting that no guns = tyranny? I don't buy it. I don't even glance briefly at it whilst leafing through Christmas catalogues.

Thanks

More guns = more Columbines.

Well, I'm all for it.
    Touch my twat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

Well, I'm all for it.
    It also means more minorities killing each other off. I'm game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

Well, I'm all for it.
    But not in Switzerland!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thats because they teach marksmanship.

lack of education is what makes people 'unfit' to own firearms. just like someone whos never driven before suddenly going out and getting on the freeway. ignorance is dangerous, and the current anti-gun mentality in the US just perpetuates it.

guns are seen as 'evil' and 'dangerous' and 'deviant' and what have you, so when someone wants to do something evil and deviant, what do they do? get a gun.

the responsible gun owners own firearms to combat that. not though open violence in the streets, but through education, training and demonstration.

not political demonstration, or waving their weapons around wildly, but in a role-model sense. the why they comport themselves, conduct their personal business and so forth. because of the great responsibility firearm ownership brings, theyre called to a higher standard legally and morally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ZeikHunter View Post
    guns are seen as 'evil' and 'dangerous' and 'deviant' and what have you, so when someone wants to do something evil and deviant, what do they do? get a gun.
    Yeah, well, a bouquet doesn't quite cut it.

responsibility
    Something that can't actually be taught or verified easily.