Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony: "Dust voids PS3 warranty"

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Sony: "Dust voids PS3 warranty"

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony...nty-321226.php

"I just got off the phone With PS3 customer support who kindly informed me that my PS3 is "too dusty" to be replaced under warranty. But won't provide pictures unless they are subpoenaed."
    Wow. Um...thoughts?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphis Cain View Post
    She told me that it was under "acts of god, customer abuse" section when I had clearly told her that it sat in my entertainment center acting as a blu-ray playing, folding@home computing, media center and that obviously the amount of dust inside the console is caused by a design flaw and not my quite dust-less room.

I don't get it! Sony is including Folding@home with their consoles, The auto-start feature makes it so its running almost all the time, OF COURSE ITS GOING TO BE FILLED WITH DUST! A few reps said that the reason they couldn't replace it was because it looked as if it had about 2 years worth of dust in it rather than 8 months..... The console hasn't even been out a year so obviously that is less than a years worth of dust.
    If his console was running 24/7 or so for 8 months, then I'm not surprised it contained 2 years worth of dust.

As for the subpoenaed pictures thing, I don't care much, but I would hope that if your warranty has been declared void, you legally have the right to see why, and not just be told. It's been pointed out in the comments as well, the whole "break the seal to check it/void your warranty" deal is pretty retarded.

Thanks

Fuck sony, fuck them up their stupid little asses.

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you, stranger!
    The Demon who makes Trophies of Men

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    As for the subpoenaed pictures thing, I don't care much, but I would hope that if your warranty has been declared void, you legally have the right to see why, and not just be told. It's been pointed out in the comments as well, the whole "break the seal to check it/void your warranty" deal is pretty retarded.
    Alot of things Sony does/has done, especially in the past few years, are/have been both retarded and unethical at times (Rootkits anyone?). This is why more and more people are avoiding Sony.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Alot of things Sony does/has done, especially in the past few years, are/have been both retarded and unethical at times (Rootkits anyone?). This is why more and more people are avoiding Sony.
    Meh, unethical as they can be, I like the consoles and games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Meh, unethical as they can be, I like the consoles and games.
    Same here, for the same reason I don't do too much emulation except NeoGeo games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man View Post
    Moving their factories from Japan to China. Way to go. :/

Thanks
    EP Points

Call back and get a different representative? That seems to work when issues arise with any other company.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Eh, most of them are going to be reading from the same script, so to speak. If this person told him that he's fucked in the ass, he's likely going to get it just as hard and deep from the next representative.

I'd be a little bothered by this if it weren't so common-place these days. Sony just seems to enjoy shooting itself in the foot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh every company shoots itself in the foot at some point when it comes to this type of thing. Even Apple has done it. Im sure hed at least stand a chance if he talked to someone else before just posting it online You never know though

Thanks
    EP Points

Definitely a dick move on Sony's part, but after reading the article it sounds like this guy's had the thing running 24/7 and has never bothered to move or clean it in the eight months since he got it. Pretty much anything is going to collect dust like a bad habit under those circumstances.

Thanks

1. Open console
    2. Clean with canned air.
    3. Stop being a slave to the warranty.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezymadman View Post
    1. Open console
    2. Clean with canned air.
    3. Stop being a slave to the warranty.
    That's awesome if you don't mind the possibility of ending up $600 out of pocket. Really, all he needs to do is grab a cloth and clean the dust off the outer shell and fan ports every few days, perhaps get a couple of filters too based on his 24/7 usage habits. I dread to think what state his laptops are in.
    Last edited by Cosmic; 12th-November-2007 at 23:26.

Thanks
    EP Points

I shoot all my systems with compressed air once every couple of weeks. No problems here

Thanks

I always hear about bad stuff in Sony warranty about everything but...either I'm lucky or the service is different here.

Case 1, my PS2 had problems when closing the lid and it kept "open" thus not reading games, that happened in day 1, and I bought the PS2 at about 10:00 a.m., called Sony Service over here, and they told me to bring the PS2 along with the receipt. They checked it, and told me to come back in about three hours. Since it was in downtown, I bought some stuff, then I came back.

At about 3 p.m. they told me that one of the springs in the lid were broken, so they replaced my whole package, (game + system) as new. Got back at around 4:30 and it's been working awesomely since then.

Case two, my old Sony Ericcson phone died and I went again to Sony Service, "come back in two hours" blah blah, did so, and they replaced my package but asked me if there was important data in my cellphone, I said no, and I walked away with my replacement phone, since the battery connection died and it was easier to give me another phone.

So I don't know, they have been quite cool with me, but I have heard cases of people complaining about their warranty, like someone said, she CAN'T be the top position there, also, I agree with Cosmic. You gotta clean your stuff often.