Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I use Lumines To Install Custom Firmware On Any Psp?

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Default Can I use Lumines To Install Custom Firmware On Any Psp?

I am considering getting a PSP, either a 2nd hand one or possibly new. Without knowing beforehand which version the PSP will be, can I buy a copy of Lumines (seen one on Ebay) and use it to install a custom firmware on any version PSP?

I know there are threads regarding PSP exploits, but I haven't seen one that answers my question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    I am considering getting a PSP, either a 2nd hand one or possibly new. Without knowing beforehand which version the PSP will be, can I buy a copy of Lumines (seen one on Ebay) and use it to install a custom firmware on any version PSP?

I know there are threads regarding PSP exploits, but I haven't seen one that answers my question.
    Hi,

I did some research and found out that you can only downgrade your PSP using Lumines if your PSP is on firmware 2.81 to 3.50. You can say the "loop hole" that made downgrading using Lumines possible was fixed by Sony in official Sony firmware version 3.51

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 6th-November-2007 at 22:37.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Only works with the original PSP, provided I'm not horribly wrong here.

The only method of downgrading a slim PSP is the Pandora method, so don't go for that unless if you know someone with a downgraded PSP.

Lumines is an easy method though, its how I did it. There're even self installer packs which can be done in a few clicks, just google around for them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SA-X View Post
    Only works with the original PSP, provided I'm not horribly wrong here.

The only method of downgrading a slim PSP is the Pandora method, so don't go for that unless if you know someone with a downgraded PSP.

Lumines is an easy method though, its how I did it. There're even self installer packs which can be done in a few clicks, just google around for them.
    It won't work on slims coz all slims come with Official Sony firmware v3.60 and the Lumines "loop hole" was fixed in 3.51.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    It won't work on slims coz all slims come with Official Sony firmware v3.60 and the Lumines "loop hole" was fixed in 3.51.
    Makes sense. I thought it was to do with Kernal versions, but I never looked into Slims.

Best bet is the original though. Lumines is hard to get hold of cheaply, but its worth it.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, so it would seem a better bet to get a 2nd hand fat PSP that should be a low enough firmware to exploit with Lumines.

If I had the PSP with the correct firmware, how difficult is it to use the Lumines exploit? What steps would I have to go through to achieve a modified system?

Thanks

Ok, so it would seem a better bet to get a 2nd hand fat PSP that should be a low enough firmware to exploit with Lumines.

If I had the PSP with the correct firmware, how difficult is it to use the Lumines exploit? What steps would I have to go through to achieve a modified system?
    You find a site with the autoinstaller, you open it, click the drive your PSP memory stick is set at, then click install. You'll need the 1.50 official firmware, the 3.50 official firmware and the M33 firmware I believe, but this might come with the auto-installer.

You run Lumines, and then when it gets to the Press Start screen, it'll reboot in the M33 interface. You just install it, reboot, then follow the steps to upgrade from 1.50 to M33. There's tonnes of sites about it, and if you do it wrong its not too hard to start again (Recovery Menu is a life saver).

EDIT:
    Took me 20 minutes, if that gives you a rough idea of its difficulty

Thanks
    EP Points

Just buy mine. It's already hacked

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Just buy mine. It's already hacked
    I would...But there's the small question of the power supply.

Thanks

I would...But there's the small question of the power supply.
    What power supply ?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 7th-November-2007 at 00:14.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage Gaara View Post
    What power supply ?
    This is what he's talking about http://www.epforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=37

I haven't found anything that answers your question yet, Jackhammer, but I'm still looking.

edit: Haven't found an answer, but I found this... http://www.npa-apn.ca/product_info.php?id=MWT1002

edit2: I can't find any other info... sorry.
    Last edited by Tanthias; 7th-November-2007 at 00:23.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthias View Post
    This is what he's talking about http://www.epforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=37

I haven't found anything that answers your question yet, Jackhammer, but I'm still looking.

edit: Haven't found an answer, but I found this... http://www.npa-apn.ca/product_info.php?id=MWT1002

edit2: I can't find any other info... sorry.
    Thanks Tanthias. I'm currently posting on a dedicated psp forum where they say a UK charger should work...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

What's the voltage in the US, 110v? if it's the same in UK it should work, now if you have 240v in UK you'll need an adapter.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    What's the voltage in the US, 110v? if it's the same in UK it should work, now if you have 240v in UK you'll need an adapter.
    From what I've read both American and UK chargers should only supply 5V to the battery for charging. Still gonna have to do some checking though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Go to Gamestation, demand they let you check the firmware on all their second hand PSPs, take one with < 3.51

btw. I downgraded a psp with the lumines exploit, got it right the first time.
    So it must be easy if I've done it.